New Orbiter Beta Released (r.44, Dec 5 2015)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Hi Martin.
A FOI member asked on our forum if there are plans for adding volumetric clouds (obviously giving the right priority to more important bugs).

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Hi Martin.
A FOI member asked on our forum if there are plans for adding volumetric clouds (obviously giving the right priority to more important bugs).

Well there are always plans, of course. :) When they will be implemented is another question altogether. As far as volumetric clouds are concerned, certainly not for the next Orbiter release.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Try this one (should always be up-to-date, with some delay over the latest SVN revision) and check version number:
http://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/orbiter-beta-latest.zip

I'm sure you have your reasons, but let me say that SVN client is quite useful.

Edit: scratch that, it doesn't look to be the latest revision - at all.
I had this link saved somewhere, and this note to myself:
The zip file is automatically generated after each new SVN revision - NOT real time. Some time will pass between the last SVN revision and the creation of this zip, so it's not guaranteed they are perfect mirrors.

Maybe I'll just have to delete this note.

Last edited:

drgullen

Reaction score
I was wondering if there's an updated list as to what the 2015 Beta does and does not support in terms of add-ons. I'm new to the forum and would like to contribute, but I don't want to report on bugs that I shouldn't be reporting on if they haven't been worked on yet, you know what I mean?

For example, I love the XR vessels and installed the XR5 Vanguard into r23 last night (with the r23 d3d9 client) and I notice that none of the vessel's sounds work (like button clicks, APU noise, etc). I do also have OrbiterSound 4.0 installed and the standard sounds seem to work, it's the XR5-specific sounds that are all silent. With the same setup in 2010-P1 using the released d3d9 client from January (r15) everything works fine. So, is this an Orbiter 2015 bug or a r23 d3d9 bug?

The main question is -- should we be reporting bugs related to add-ons at all or should we be sticking to "out of the box" bugs only?

Martin, I said as much in the welcome thread, but I want to thank you for creating Orbiter in the first place. I have had years of fun and have learned so much and now -- I get to land in 3D craters on the Moon!?!?

Amazing! :hailprobe:

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello,

I just tested to create a MFD mode for the new beta version.
Should it work if it's compiled with the sdks of 2010? Or have I to use the new sdks?
I just tested a mfd with simply

Code:
bool myMFD::Update (oapi::Sketchpad *skp)
{
   skp->Text(0,0,"HELLO WORLD",11);
   return true;
}

and I got a CTD, if I open the MFD mode in Orbiter.
Or maybe it's to early for doing such things?

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Thanks. Right now, it's the May edition of the 2015 Beta.

I've got a screenful of error log trying to explain why, too - I will endeavour to resolve the problem once I find out what it is...

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Sorry, not enough information. Are you saying that the crash happens in the call to Sketchpad::Text? Did you check if the Sketchpad instance looks ok before the call?

Hello,

I just tested to create a MFD mode for the new beta version.
Should it work if it's compiled with the sdks of 2010? Or have I to use the new sdks?
I just tested a mfd with simply

Code:
{
   skp->Text(0,0,"HELLO WORLD",11);
   return true;
}

and I got a CTD, if I open the MFD mode in Orbiter.
Or maybe it's to early for doing such things?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Committed r.24.

This re-implements the "hover hold altitude" program. Should be more stable now. Also added methods VESSEL::GetHoverHoldAltitude and VESSEL::SetHoverHoldAltitude to read out and modify the target altitude. Implemented in the DeltaGlider code (only accessible from VC so far).

I've also started implementing a class SubSystem (in Orbitersdk/samples/Common/Vessel/Instrument.{h,cpp}) that allows grouping individual panel elements into logical groups. Hopefully this will allow de-cluttering the vessel class instances a bit. Started using it in the DeltaGlider code.

New function oapiGetPanel2DScale (in response to issue #1191)

Marg

Reaction score
It would be good to make a camera in ground mode to go down to surface\terrain point where ship is located, for example if lunar module is landed in Hadley area, it is impossible to get close view of it because, LM is below Moon average ground level and camera does not go deeper.

drgullen

Reaction score
I noticed last night that some portions of the Earth seem to be missing in both the lo and hi res textures:

Jarvis_Island_Missing.jpg

This is Jarvis Space Center in v150915. The black thing is my XR5 falling through the scenery. This shot was taken with the hi res files for this portion of Earth installed.

Are the smaller island land masses not modeled in this beta or have I screwed something up here?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Are the smaller island land masses not modeled in this beta or have I screwed something up here?
Support for surface base tiles has been deprecated and isn't available for planets using the new planetary textures (which are not using .tex files). The add-on in question is using such surface base tile.

mariostivala

Reaction score
My SVN client (TortoiseSVN) is unable to connect to the repository! Can you help me?

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry, not enough information. Are you saying that the crash happens in the call to Sketchpad::Text? Did you check if the Sketchpad instance looks ok before the call?

Yes it did, even if I try

Code:
{    
    skp->Pixel(10,10,RGB(100.0,0.0,0.0));
    return true;
}
I got a CTD.
If I remove the line with skp-> ..., there will be no CTD.

The initialisation of the MFD mode is working, because I see my buttons and the button help texts etc.
So I suggest that something is wrong with the Sketchpad...
How shell I check if the Sketchpad is ok? I tried:

Code:
{   
    if (&skp == 0) sprintf(oapiDebugString(),"IS NULL");
    else sprintf(oapiDebugString(),"IS NOT NULL");    
    return true;
}

and ...

{    
    if (skp == nullptr) sprintf(oapiDebugString(),"IS NULL");
    return true;
}

and ...

{    
    if (skp == NULL) sprintf(oapiDebugString(),"IS NULL");
    return true;
}

and then it's seems not to be null?

If i use the compiled dll in Orbiter 2010, the usage of the Sketchpad will work.

I will try the following steps soon:

- Create a little demo project and compile with sdks of 2010 to eliminate other stuff from my VS Project

- Use the sdks of the new beta and compile again

after I will come back.

---------- Post added 16-09-15 at 00:37 ---------- Previous post was 15-09-15 at 23:29 ----------

So I checked it out:

After binding the
"orbiter.lib"
and the
"Orbitersdk.lib"
from the beta, it's working now. :thumbup:

I will test soon to bind the old libs to the new template MFD mode and see what will happent...

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Committed r.25:

• SubSystem class: additional methods for 2D panel management
  • DeltaGlider: HoverBalanceControl now implemented as a SubSystem
  • DeltaGlider: Disabled MWS indicator for now (caused CTD in 2D panel mode)
  • DeltaGlider: keyboard interface for airbrake changed (Ctrl-B to extend by one step, Alt-B to retract by one step) [issue #1144]
  • API: Added function oapiVCPosition

I keep getting crashes in the DG with reentry into Earth, crashes when alt gets to 30km.

(Edit: it crashes with the failure simulation turned on, turned it off and now doesn't crash)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a (admittedly low priority) feature request. Wouldit be possible to implement a GetPixel method in sketchpad that returns the color of a pixel at x/y? I'm asking this because IMS2 by now has built a full blown stylable GUI-architecture on top of the Orbiter panel element, and the one thing I'm missing to make it really cool are some effects like blur. Which would require the ability to querry pixels for their color.

Also, is color-key blitting now supported by graphics clients? I haven't checked up on that issue for a long time...

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have an issue to report. Rhea, mimas and saturn's moons included in the minor bodies package show up as black spheres. No other problem

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
2 Points:
1. Is it possible to get the altitude of the landscape for a position (lattitude / longtittude) and / or for a OBJHANDLE, e.g., for a base?
This is important for autopilots to calculate the glide path to a base etc.

2. I observed that the shaddow of the smoke trail is somewhere in the air at "mean radius level 0" when I was flying through the Valles Marineris.
The vessels shaddow is ok.

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I have an issue to report. Rhea, mimas and saturn's moons included in the minor bodies package show up as black spheres. No other problem

Does your Textures folder contain subfolders Rhea, Mimas and Dione? And does each of these subfolders contain a subfolder Surf?

Does each of the config files for these bodies (in the Config subfolder) contain the line "TileFormat = 2"?

Does this only happen for the included Saturn moons or also for Mars moons Phobos and Deimos?

Does anybody else have that problem?