New Orbiter Beta Released (r.44, Dec 5 2015)

Jordan

Reaction score
Same problem here, only in the 3 Saturn moons Rhea, Mimas and Dione shows as black Spheres. All sub folders exists in correct Place e.g. "Textures/Rhea/Surf". Also each config file contains the line "TileFormat = 2".

Seems to be an D3D9 Client bug. Inline Client works OK.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Does your Textures folder contain subfolders Rhea, Mimas and Dione? And does each of these subfolders contain a subfolder Surf?

Does each of the config files for these bodies (in the Config subfolder) contain the line "TileFormat = 2"?

Does this only happen for the included Saturn moons or also for Mars moons Phobos and Deimos?

Does anybody else have that problem?
I can confirm this but only with D3D9Client. Standard inline Orbiter (orbiter.exe) is fine.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
OK. I'll refer this problem to the D3D9 developers for now. Strange though - there shouldn't be anything special about these moons. And for all other objects using the new tile format D3D9 is working.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just to explain point 2 of my previous post.

smoke_shaddow.png

drgullen

Reaction score
Support for surface base tiles has been deprecated and isn't available for planets using the new planetary textures (which are not using .tex files). The add-on in question is using such surface base tile.

I want to make sure I understand this. Are we not going to be able to land anywhere on Earth? I just tried to touch down on a random piece of land and immediately after wheel stop, I fell through the planet.

Admittedly, it was in an area of lo-res textures, but I still expected to be able to have my ship come to rest on the planet surface.

When you say support has been deprecated, are we saying that landing somewhere is no longer possible?

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
drgullen, some 3rd party bases had addons which included a tile set which replaced a certain location of planet texture with very high resolution tiles typically around a base. Because the planets are not flat anymore these tiles float above or below the surface.

My understanding is Orbiter Beta supports planet texture replacement again but also with editing of the 3d terrain as well, the tool just hasn't been made available. You can still land.

drgullen

Reaction score
drgullen, some 3rd party bases had addons which included a tile set which replaced a certain location of planet texture with very high resolution tiles typically around a base. Because the planets are not flat anymore these tiles float above or below the surface.

My understanding is Orbiter Beta supports planet texture replacement again but also with editing of the 3d terrain as well, the tool just hasn't been made available. You can still land.

Thanks for the reply. I think I get it now...we won't be able to land on the terrain itself, but at some point in the future, we'll be able to use a tool to replace a certain area with textures that we can build bases on and that Orbiter will recognize as being "solid ground". Is that correct?

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Almost right, you can land on the terrain but yes I have seen a vessel fall through the terrain before, it is not ment to happen. You can build bases now or even use the existing ones, the objects get mapped to the terrain so if there is a runway and there is a hill, the runway will go up the hill.

But yes the new tile solution will be recognized as solid. Maybe there is something with your install, I personally never used the low res textures/elevation, I have always had high installed.

Last edited:

drgullen

Reaction score
Thanks again for the reply. Our wonderful (I'm being sarcastic here, of course) ISP here in Western Canada caps our download capacity, so I was going to wait for release before downloading all the hi-res terrain, just in case it had to change for some reason.

I'll download a chunk of it though and try and land on it and see what happens.

Cheers,
Glen

---------- Post added 09-17-15 at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-16-15 at 09:44 PM ----------

It turns out the problem is the XR5...

dg_in_bc.jpg

Stock DG landed no problem

xr2_in_bc.jpg

XR2 Ravenstar landed no problem

xr5_in_bc.jpg

XR5 Vanguard initially does touch the ground as I hear the tire touch noise, but then it immediately falls through the terrain and the world inverts. It reminds me of my heavy drinking days when I was in my 20s.

FWIW, I am using the beta version of the XR5 that I downloaded from one of Doug Beachy's posts on another thread here on this forum relating to a CTD I was getting using the latest official XR planes on the AA website.

Anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas as to what would cause this or how to fix it?

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
This same sort of thing happens when my IMS2 Touchdown Point/CoG shifting test vehicle attempts to change its CoG too fast after it has landed. If the CoG changes faster than 0.005 m/s in any direction, the landed vehicle rotates 180 degrees and goes underground.

I don't know if this is an IMS2 & XR5 problem or an Orbiter 2015 problem, but it's definitely an odd bug.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
None of the XR vessels are compatible with the Beta, they sometimes work up to when you close/open radiator or lift landing gears the beta crashes. Over 1/2 of the scenarios do not work with them.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This same sort of thing happens when my IMS2 Touchdown Point/CoG shifting test vehicle attempts to change its CoG too fast after it has landed.

Since the XR5 is the only one of the bunch with CoG shifting, that sounds like a very probable explanation...

Maybe you could make a minimum code example in the shuttlePB sample that reproduces the behavior, so the Doctor can track down the problem more easily.

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
My understanding is Orbiter Beta supports planet texture replacement again but also with editing of the 3d terrain as well, the tool just hasn't been made available.

If that's the case, PLEASE LET'S HAVE IT !! :jiggy::banana::hotcool::sweet::please:
I didn't think it had been developed yet.

drgullen

Reaction score
None of the XR vessels are compatible with the Beta, they sometimes work up to when you close/open radiator or lift landing gears the beta crashes. Over 1/2 of the scenarios do not work with them.

So far, with the XR2 at least, I'm not experiencing any crashes. The only thing I've noticed is that you are forced to deploy the radiator even on Earth because the XR2 computer thinks the vessel is in motion. In the Scenario, it'll say "Landed Earth" yet when you fire it up, your speed is somewhere around 5m/s, but you are actually not moving. As a result, you are unable to turn external cooling on.

Here's my temporary solution to having a proper base...I moved Jarvis to where Vancouver International Airport would be. Now that's a nice view when coming back from space! :lol:

Jarvis_YVR.jpg

mariostivala

Reaction score
I type "svn://orbiter-forum.com/orbiter" at SVN checkout command and this is the response:
"Checkout from svn://orbiter-forum.com/orbiter, revision HEAD, Fully recursive, Externals included
Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'svn://orbiter-forum.com/orbiter'
Can't connect to host 'orbiter-forum.com'."

drgullen

Reaction score
If you use the beta version of the XR2 found on this forum, it works for the most part. I just took off from my base, did one orbit and landed back at my base.

There is something weird with the physics though, especially on the ground as I found myself having to use kill rotation at times when trying to taxi. Whenever you start the scenario, you start in a slight motion, so you have to hit and hold the brakes until your speed settles, but it won't say zero, it'll say between 5 and 7 m/s. Also as I mentioned, you have to deploy the radiator on Earth otherwise your coolant overheats because external cooling won't come on.

Cheers,
Glen