New Orbiter development screenshots

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Hi guys, just checking in after some extended downtime ...

Sorry I haven't been around lately. Life has conspired to keep me away from orbiter, and may continue to do so for some time. Still, rest assured that development of the next version is continuing, if at an excruciatingly slow pace.

I hope to upload a new beta, and a whole lot of updated texture packs soon. Various bugs and features relating to elevation support have been fixed (floating buildings, bumpy runways, etc.) but more needs to be done.

I've spent a lot of effort on reworking the Florida textures (all recreated from the original DOQQ sources, manual seam removal (tedious!) histogram-matched to the underlying low-level Landsat-based textures, and manual coastline editing (even more tedious!). Orbiter now supports surface patch resolutions up to level 19 (equivalent to level 20 in Orbiter 2010), which is about 1m for Earth. This is implemented for Cape Canaveral, while for the rest of Florida I am providing level 16-18. I'm using Florida as a proof of concept, to show what is possible now in Orbiter.

In addition, I've modified the way water surfaces are rendered. The result is quite spectacular. I've put a set of comparison images 2010 / 2015(?) on the Orbiter website. Have a look and tell me what you think.

Speaking of the website: It's been a bit flaky lately, but I hope this is now fixed. Let me know if problems persist.

The Moon textures have been completely re-done from new sources. One of the pictures shows a comparison of that as well.

Unfortunately, the release date for the new version has now slipped to 2015 at best. But I hope it will be worth the wait.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
EBTTNee.jpg

That is just being plain mean to 2010!

I am really looking forward to a new release of the Orbiter Beta & new textures.

Thank you!!

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Holy... :blink:

Sir, you have upped the game again. I am LITERALLY drooling right now, and the recent removal of all four of my wisdom teeth has no bearing on that, I swear!

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

Okay, finally got through the album...

Martins, you gotta do the Mach loop in max resolution. Can you imagine doing low-level flight in an XR in that kind of terrain? :love:

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Please release a new beta as soon as you can, How large will the downloads be for all the new textures?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
That was some awesomely serious good news to enlighten my morning wake-up!
:hailprobe:

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Fantastic. Those textures are awesome and water looks 100x better :cool:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
It's always worth waiting for, excellence can't be rushed!
I recognized my old hangar on the picture of Naval Station Mayport :thumbup:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks absolutely stunning. Just where on earth am I going to take the disk space from??

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Martin - the results of your efforts are simply stunning. I had a Hitchhiker's flashback when I read that you are working on the coastline of Florida. Your friend Slartibartfast did the same for Norway :).

The Earth!

Well, the Earth Mark II, in fact. We're making a copy from our original blueprints.

Are you telling me you originally made the Earth?

Oh, yes. Did you ever go to a place - I think it was called Norway?

No. No, I didn't.

Pity. That was one of mine. Won an award, you know. Lovely crinkly edges.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1113229/quotes

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That is really impressing and it looks like the atmospheric haze has improved as well. The water looks so real.:tiphat:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That's exactly what I have... I mean, ALL that I have! :lol:

Same here, but my notebook also comes with a 750 GB HDD... what ever Martins alacrity might produce in the next months, my hardware will execute it. :lol:

But a new stationary workstation for DCS is already in the Pre-Phase A.

NOMAD

Reaction score
It's excellent! Thank you so much Martin! BTW, if the future version Orbiter renders the oblateness for planets and moons, it will be perfect!!

Last edited: