New Orbiter SVN commit (r.71, Oct 14 2017)

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ah ok, I'll look into that. I was pushing out the new commit after 4am this morning, which is never a good idea, especially if you have to get up a few hours later for work :zzz:
Yes, I agree. It happens easily here too, just checking out a few things before going to sleep and then suddenly it's 4am at morning.

Anyway, it looks as if I left a superfluous oapiMeshMaterial call in the loop. That line should probably go.

I actually added that to initialize the material structure before modifying it and setting it back to the mesh.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

I got the MFD brightness to work in inline engine and D3D9.

Looks like "vis" is NULL in void Atlantis::UpdateMesh () with the inline engine but appears to be properly initialized elsewhere ??

Adding oapiMeshMaterial() in this section fixed the problem with the MFD brightness:

PHP:
       } else if (event & PANEL_MOUSE_LBPRESSED) {
			double dt = oapiGetSysTime()-t0;
			double brt, dbrt = dt * 0.2;
			if (up) brt = min (1.0, brt0 + dbrt);
			else    brt = max (0.25, brt0 - dbrt);
			mfdbright[mfd] = brt;
			if (vis) {
				MATERIAL mat;
				DEVMESHHANDLE hMesh = GetDevMesh (vis, mesh_vc);
				oapiMeshMaterial (hMesh, 10+mfd, &mat);
				mat.emissive.r = mat.emissive.g = mat.emissive.b = (float)brt;
				oapiSetMaterial (hMesh, 10+mfd, &mat);
			}
		}
		} return false;

Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
New D3D9 build.

- Added GetGDIFont() function
- Added clbkMeshMaterial
- Fixed MFD screen rendering. Material is now taken in account.
- Added mipmap load option selector in options dialog.
* Load as defined: Load mipmaps as they are defined in dds files
* Autogen missing: Automatically generate missing mipmaps. (Better quality, long loading times)
* Autogen all: Auto-generate full mipmap chain and replace existing mipmaps.​

Attachments

• D3D9ClientBeta17-forRev47.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 121

birdmanmike

Reaction score
Um, did r47 svn update, then the new D3D9 for r47 as above and started orbiter_ng.exe. Launchpad opens but also a blank window with title (icon) [D3D9Client].

Launch gives immediate orbiter.exe has stopped working correctly, etc. With current state and with other scenario

?????

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Oh - and video tab disappeared from launcher . . .

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

if it's any help, D3D9 client log . . . (deleted, wasn't the problem probably)

Last edited:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Um, did r47 svn update, then the new D3D9 for r47 as above and started orbiter_ng.exe. Launchpad opens but also a blank window with title (icon) [D3D9Client].
Strange enough, I've just had the same weird outcome with Orbiter SVN rev 47 and previous D3D9 client version 16 for rev 46.

Updated D3D9 client and everything runs fine.

turtle91

Reaction score
>Strange enough, I've just had the same weird outcome with Orbiter SVN rev 47 and >previous D3D9 client version 16 for rev 46.

That's the reason:

>GraphicsClient: added clbkMeshMaterial(DEVMESHHANDLE,DWORD,MATERIAL*)
D3D9 client for rev=< 47 cannot be run. as Martin wrote in the last update-not ("client must be recompiled").

But since using Orbiter rev 47 + latest D3D9-client all runs fine, at least on my notebook (ATI-graphics-card).

>(10: 0.02s 2421158004us)(0x18C4)[ERROR] pD3D->GetDeviceCaps(Adapter, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, &caps)
>(11: 0.02s 2421160307us)(0x18C4)[ERROR] ERROR: Failed to initialize 3D Framework

Are you sure, that there are no stalled orbiter-processes in your system-memory (which might blocks acces to your 3D-device/card) ? (task-manager?)

>Oh - and video tab disappeared from launcher . . .
Oh, looks like, the D3D9-module is not loading on your system.
Maybe re-install and re-configure the D3D9-cleint again...just in case.
Because all sympthons you are explaining, happend to me too earlier today (rev 46 D3D9-client + rev 47 Orbiter).

Last edited:

birdmanmike

Reaction score
Huh, I tried reverting to the r46, still gave same problem obviously - then redid the r47 D3D9 (extracted in the Orbiter folder), still same problem. After seeing Ripley's note I checked file modify dates and found not all files updated. So unzipped outside my Orbiter beta folder and moved/copied the D3D9 items in, overwriting, and now it seems to work. Had to redo the video setting though ;-( seems a problem with the extracting - I'll check further and edit my previous as needed. Strange I got this with the r47 update D3D9 first but

For some reason seems to destroy some of the current state as well but at moment just have to relaunch, orbit, align, synch orbits then close in on ILS again . . .

edit. definitely seems to be didn't extract completely the first time - the video bit - at least in my case. Sorry, much ado about nothing again . .

Last edited:

ZiggyStardust

Reaction score
Since r.45, and thru r.47, I can't see earth terrain anymore, just the basic blue-grayish globe... it looks like Uranus of sorts from orbit :lol:

Some details:

- no difference d3d9 vs embedded gfx
- all plugins disabled, except d3d9 client when running orbiter_ng
- base buildings and textures are displayed correctly
- tried different scenarios, landed, in flight or orbit, no difference
- and this is where it gets strange... everything works fine on moon and mars!

Could try to revert back to pre microtexture but it will take some time to unpack the whole texture set again.

Reaction score
A couple of small observations (REV 47):

Scenario editor: doesn't check for docked status before modifying ship position (so brings e.g. the whole ISS with you to Olympus Base. 2010 undocks the vessel first).

DG stand-by HSI (2D panel/3D cockpit) shows only +ve alt (eg DG @ Brighton Beach, shows 2.456k - should be -2.456k or Rad Alt?)

Is it the intention to enable a screen preview in scenario selection for all scenarios? It would be nice to replicate what is there for 'current state'?

Thanks as always for all the work on the new version - it's awesome.

GZR_Ranger

Reaction score
I also noticed the XR-2 "impacts" the moon at 500m altitude on final to Bright Beach...

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi Martin,

I am seeing a second set of texture coordinates (tu0,tv0) and (tu1,tv1) defined in a surface tile mesh but can't find a any reason for that. Is there a story behind it ?

I was looking an options to reduce a memory footprint/bandwidth of vertex streams. In D3D9 it might be good idea to use 10bit precision for normals and texture coords. That would reduce footprint down to 35%, but might cause compatibility issues with older hardware.

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

Since r.45, and thru r.47, I can't see earth terrain anymore, just the basic blue-grayish globe... it looks like Uranus of sorts from orbit :lol:

That is definitely a texture issue. There was a change just a while ago, maybe in r.45, that required to apply a patch with updated elevation files. Would be good idea to check Orbiter Beta release notes from this thread.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is it available for everyone or only for developer?

Everyone, but you need to use a developers tool for the Subversion (SVN) protocol to download it and keep it updated during the beta test phase, like TortoiseSVN for example.

GZR_Ranger

Reaction score
I also noticed the XR-2 "impacts" the moon at 500m altitude on final to Bright Beach...

I've been searching, but haven't found a solution other than setting the HardLandingsDamageEnabled and CrashDamageEnabled in the XR2RavenstarPrefs.cfg to "0". Can the altimeter or get altitude be set for the XR-2?

birdmanmike

Reaction score
Well I don't know but first time ever - following the DG to ISS with the beta, into orbit, raised periapsis. aligned planes then went to synch orbits and realised main thrusters ongoing. Throttle was off, and so it showed in cockpit. On and off showed in cockpit but no effect full throttle sound and visual, orbit degrading rapidly. numpad * did zilch. Attitude with joystick appeared partly to work then not but prograde/retro/normal/anti-normal all wouldn't work - buttons didn't move. Orbit projection high speed intercept with hard ground and getting worse so aborted. Basically everything seemed to freeze but no "Orbiter has stopped working" or CTD Any ideas? I did wait for the full 90 mins for the launch window in real time then all the flight in RT up to this synch orbit!

posted here because the beta, right place? Later: oh well it was possibly dodgy time acceleration - synching orbits
but ISS to MIR scenario CTD's the beta on load but probably known - it is still beta after all

Last edited:

wil

Reaction score
I can't download the beta

I can't download the beta I keep getting an error. What am I doing wrong?
2016-02-03.png

2016-02-03 (1).png

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Seems to be alright, it's possible that the repo just wasn't reachable at the moment.

wil

Reaction score
Alright, I will try again later.

Edit: Still not working for me.

Last edited:

Eduard

Reaction score
Things to notice

Hello developers and others,
I am using orbiter for quite a while now and I am really a fan of the program and its addons.

And now I also decided to see how far development is at the moment and I downloaded the the Beta and I managed to get it work.
I also downloaded the graphics client, D3D9ClientBeta17-forRev47.zip, posted at this forum thread.
I have also downloaded the older Beta revision 13 plus graphics client (the latest version, D3D9Client Beta 12 for Orbiter 2015 (rev 13), from d3d9client.codeplex.com), before I noticed that newer versions of the client where at this forum in this thread.

When I use the graphics client, I am able to run Orbiter successfully at my full screen resolution 3840x2160 (I have an Ultra HD monitor). The standard graphics client always crashes when I try to start it at large resolutions.

But there are some issues I would like to notice:
> When I run Orbiter at this high resolution, some numbers at the Surface MFD are disappeared. I see some black boxes, with missing texts.
I am not shure if this problem also exists with some other MFDs, I don't remember exactly.
> I normally solve this problem above in the following way: I go to the tab for the Video settings. I go to "Advanced". Under the "SketchPad settings", I change the "Device to use" to "GDI only". This solution works for me in Orbiter 2010, but also works in the Orbiter Beta revision 13 that I tried.
The problem is: this setting has gone in the current Beta version. The "Device to use" under the SketchPad settings only shows "n/a". So there is nothing to choose here.

> Another thing: closing the airbrakes (Ctrl+B) of the Deltaglider seems to be broken. It's not working anymore.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
> Another thing: closing the airbrakes (Ctrl+B) of the Deltaglider seems to be broken. It's not working anymore.

Since the DG airbrakes are now working at two levels (1/2 and full) a single key function to deploy and retract didn't really work anymore.

Now it is Ctrl-B to deploy by one step, and Alt-B to retract by one step.

This should already be reflected in the DG manual, but maybe I forgot to push the latest revision of the manual to the repository.

When I use the graphics client, I am able to run Orbiter successfully at my full screen resolution 3840x2160 (I have an Ultra HD monitor). The standard graphics client always crashes when I try to start it at large resolutions.
DirectX-7 doesn't support more than 2048x1536 (I think), so for larger resolutions you indeed need to use a different client.