Project OBSP Development Thread

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
There is a problem with little boy,sometimes don't show blast mesh,sometimes does but in any case orbiter crash little after meeting ground.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Would you like the "Official" title of OBSP beta tester? :p

Hey, that'd be sweet! :D

By the way...

The ships disappearing bug isn't fixed yet, but I haven't figured out what causes it. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's not. This time it happened with shells.

Also the "faulty bomb" bug is still here, even in the latest version.

Also, explosions (the ones that appear) now bounce off the ground. I suggest you make their velocity 0 and just have someone make an animated explosion, which would look nice.

Also... if I fire a rocket and just let it fly without hitting the ground... Orbiter crashes after a while. But I can't really see what's going on. I didn't see if the rocket exploded...

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Tested the new version and the explosion bug is fixed.

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

No I made a mistake...
Explosion bug isn't fixed.:(. But now it's different.
When I launch a missile to the ground it falls through the ground and no explosion comes. And when I press the DET button orbiter crashes.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yea, I noticed that too... before with the "faulty bombs" bug, there was at least an object on the surface labeled "explosion", but none there is none.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
I think nothing has changed since the new version.
Every explosion ends with an crash.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm... I too have been experiencing crashes, though lot less. Now I can drop a series of nukes - 15 or so and will only get a crash after the 10th one instead of the second :p

Also, crash when I manually detonate missile in flight. Is that because I selected the wrong weapon ID to detonate and it was a faulty pointer?

A request:
When a weapons is destroyed, could you delete it from the MFD "to be detonated" list? Cos if you fire 20 missiles and all have detonated so far and you fire another one you wanna detonate in air... you have to scroll through 20 weapons before you get to your missile.

Also, could you write the name of the weapon next to the number? If you drop a series of bombs and fire missiles, which is which?

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've just uploaded New Release 090410. It should be free of alll bugs apart from the "Faulty bomb" + CTD on remote detonation.

I just went crazy firing shells everywhere, and it didn't crash as it used to before. But I could be wrong, so please test :p

Also, crash when I manually detonate missile in flight. Is that because I selected the wrong weapon ID to detonate and it was a faulty pointer?
Noope, it's my rusty coding. Added to known bugs. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next release, when I figure out what's wrong.
A request:
When a weapons is destroyed, could you delete it from the MFD "to be detonated" list? Cos if you fire 20 missiles and all have detonated so far and you fire another one you wanna detonate in air... you have to scroll through 20 weapons before you get to your missile.
Working on it.
Also, could you write the name of the weapon next to the number? If you drop a series of bombs and fire missiles, which is which?

You select the class first. If you want to select a missile that you've just fired, press >> or << and then select the fired one with < and >. Remember 0 means no weapon is selected.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
New release, and what's coming soon.

OBSP 090412 has just been uploaded. I've been through the code and tweaked everything that might be causing a bug. Should be the most stable release.

However, the code is becoming cluttered and soon it will be too buggy to make any more improvements / features. So I'm going to a do a complete re-write. I can already see better ways to do it now that I know more than when I started. This Release won't be ready for probably another few weeks, but I will always be uploading it to:

http://www.assembla.com/spaces/OBSP/documents/dFJPHYj1Cr3P5AeJe5aVNr/download/CurrentRelease.zip

All previous releases will be in this file. You can see what features will be in this release here.

I've added three beta testers to the Team Page. If you'd rather not be on there, just PM me or edit it yourself.

If anyone's not busy, and would like to help me, there are some things that need to be done.

• Challenge Scenarios. Look here for ideas. Realistic ones would be good.
  • Weapon + explosion meshes and / or textures.
  • Explosion animations.
  • Sounds of explosions, weapons being fired, etc.
  • Write a peice of code that gives a vessel no velocity. I need this for the explosion.
  • Write a guided missile DLL.
  • Otherwise, just test for bugs ;)
Once I've released the newer version, only one thing will be left to do - the AI. That will be the final part of release 1.0.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Yeah...
No remote bug, no bomb bug.
Works good now.:cheers:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'll be testing it again on Monday when i get back to my computer...
And I guess I could try and make the guided missile... I have looked over the SDK a bit. Though count me out when it comes to meshes :p

Though before I jump into the coding, we need to figure out the targeting and countermeasures. The missile will need to be provided with a target... and if it's an IR, the ship could launch decoys.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Anyone wanna make AIM-9 and AIM-120 meshes?

DarkWanderer

Orbiter Contributor
Donator
Reaction score
Well, talking about guidance...

Here is a small test of the guidance module, built using PD control (thanks for pointing out, urwumpe). Currently properly works on Earth only. But with it missile (AIM-120) should be able to take targets maneuvering up to 9G (as a real one).
Can anyone test this?..
Missile takes targets autonomously, "space" key launches the missile from CDG.

P.S.Can .rar be added to forum allowed formats?..

Attachments

• OCSMissileTest.zip
    304.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hmm... PD should be a bit annoying, why not use PI instead? PD(-T1) does not compensate errors completely and has a tendency to overcompensate - the old sidewinders had such a guidance. PI needs a time to correct errors, but gets a smoother flight path.

PID(-T1) would be even better, as you could with just three variables in the configuration file make the controller imitate any real controller behavior, but is harder to get configured.

DarkWanderer

Orbiter Contributor
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm... PD should be a bit annoying, why not use PI instead?
Hmm... Ive added the D component because just P was overshooting, and derivative addition almost eliminated this. Don't you confuse dervative (which IIRC eliminates overshoot) with integral (which eliminates steady-state error)?
The latter, BTW, proved to be insignificant, so no need for I component here.

But that's OT.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hmm... Ive added the D component because just P was overshooting, and derivative addition almost eliminated this. Don't you confuse dervative (which IIRC eliminates overshoot) with integral (which eliminates steady-state error)?
The latter, BTW, proved to be insignificant, so no need for I component here.

But that's OT.
For my missile guidance, I used PD. I'm pretty sure I is irrelevant for this sort of thing, since you always know exactly where you are and how fast you're going in relation to the target...

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is a image of a mesh of the Hyper Atomic Missile from Lost In Space.
hypermissile.jpg