Discussion One year anniversary of the final space shuttle launch

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of the final Space Shuttle mission, so I decided to make a thread dedicating it with your own opinions on how you felt one year ago when this was happening, dedications and salutes to the shuttle program, or your own personal experiences if you where in attendance of the final launch. I personally was in attendance of the final space shuttle launch, there is nothing that can describe the atmosphere in the air beforehand. It was charged, excited and sorrow at the same time, and when Atlantis rose off the pad it seemed to do so with a majestic grace draped behind a grey sky that almost at the time seemed like the state of the space program. On July 21st, when Atlantis returned I was able to see it streak across the Florida morning sky enroute to KSC, and the ISS ahead of it. It was truly an incredible site, here are some of my pictures of the launch.
184024_1466151151699_7611888_n.jpg

283324_1466151311703_62461_n.jpg

249322_1466151391705_6938486_n.jpg

198683_1466151471707_5625873_n.jpg

STS-135_patch.png

Last edited:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:salute:
For me it's still hard to realize. Both that the program ended, and that mankind is capable of building something like it.

It was an exciting feeling to run back to the TV after the little hold at T-31 seconds. Atlantis just didn't want to retire...

MattBaker

Reaction score
It was an exciting feeling to run back to the TV after the little hold at T-31 seconds.

That was the scariest thing ever, I didn't realize what was wrong and was scared that it'll end up like Challenger...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Should not have ended. IMHO

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
A grainy pic of landing taken by my cheap camera:
picture.php

Note to self: Get a better camera :p

FADEC

Reaction score
It felt ambivalent to me. I was glad and sad at the same time.

I was glad because the STS program did scoff so much money and resources so that NASA wouldn't ever do anything else (manned).

I was sad because the program did accompany my entire life so far. I literally grew up with it. But that's just the irrational side of the feeling.

Of course the program had to end sooner or later. But it's so sad to see that Congress and NASA sadly do not take the chances which they got by retiring the Shuttles.

So I remember STS as the last big and successful "standalone" NASA program from a past area of efforts, willingness and heroism :salute:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Should not have ended. IMHO

We need to clear away old, expensive programs to start new ones. Sure, it was sad, but people always feel that way when any major vehicle is retired.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
what we need is a well planned, short and smooth transition from one vehicle to the next. And until that plan had been assured, the Shuttle's should have remained in active service.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
it's been a year already? Oh how time pass quickly! and this marks a year of no manned American spaceflight.

FADEC

Reaction score
it's been a year already? Oh how time pass quickly!

Way too quickly in certain areas.

and this marks a year of no manned American spaceflight.

Yes. But it's actually not unusual for NASA :p

Still 5 more years left until it becomes unusual :lol:

They've got 2 x 2 years of no manned flights during the STS program, and almost 6 years between Apollo-Soyuz and STS. That's actually one decade of no manned flights within 37 years... but their achievements are still bigger than the ones of any other space agency, and not only manned I think :)

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
what we need is a well planned, short and smooth transition from one vehicle to the next. And until that plan had been assured, the Shuttle's should have remained in active service.

The Shuttle was incredibly expensive on every launch. It would have remained a massive drain on any funds to other programs.

MattBaker

Reaction score
The Shuttle was incredibly expensive on every launch. It would have remained a massive drain on any funds to other programs.

Cut 10% of the "defense" spending and give it to NASA and you could fund the shuttle programm several times, but that's something for the Basement...

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A day of mourning for what we as a nation have thrown away !

Unstung

Reaction score
I hope the US will be able to send humans to orbit again this decade.

FADEC

Reaction score
I hope the US will be able to send humans to orbit again this decade.

They will I think :) But not "on their own" like it was the case before and until STS. It'll be powered by SpaceX very likely. Followed by Boeing I think. And less likely followed by NASAs SLS (which I think will end just like the Ares launchers).

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
What about man-rating the Atlas V or Delta IV and throwing an Orion capsule on top? Those could allow NASA to keep control over its space vehicles. Though the SLS will likely succeed if it keeps going like it has been.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
View from KSC exactly one year ago at 10:53AM.
index.php

Range has just given a green status for launch.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
NASASpaceflight: One year on – Review notes superb performance of STS-135′s SRBs:
One year to the day since Atlantis launched on her final mission, the exceptional performance by the Solid Rocket Boosters (SRBs) – which aided STS-135′s ride uphill during first stage flight – was noted in the seemingly independent flight performance review of STS-135 conducted by contractor agency United Space Alliance (USA), not NASA.

{...}