General Question opening DGIV canopy in space

destinos

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was messing around in orbit tonight and I tried lowering the pressure in the DGIV cockpit to 0 and then opening the canopy, and it was still destroyed. Does anyone know why that is, and if there's any way to make this work. Perhaps the temperature setting has something to do with it?

Turbinator

Reaction score
I believe it is hard-coded in the ships set-up files. SO no mater what you do if you open the cockpit in space, it automatically triggers a death.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
I remember when I was new to Orbiter I tried to do EVA by opening a canopy:lol:

jinglesassy

Reaction score
you can open the canopy in space but its not the pressure looked at its the oxygen so empty the atmosphere of oxygen(make sure it gets to 0 and have the space suits on) and then you can open it in orbit without collapse

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If the astronauts are suited up, opening the canopy won't kill them.

It will however, drain all air out of the cabin and destroy the canopy...

By reducing pressure to zero, you can open and close the canopy safely in space. Provided that the astronauts have their suits on.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I was messing around in orbit tonight and I tried lowering the pressure in the DGIV cockpit to 0

You can't lower the pressure in the DGIV cockpit to 0 without killing the astronauts already before reaching 0. You can only lower the pressure in the airlock.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
They can survive, if they're in their suits.

Dambuster

Reaction score
Yes, it'll still give you the 'hypoxia' warnings, but then you'll get the message that the crew is using their spacesuits. Also, only the oxygen pressure needs to be lowered to 0 to open the canopy safely, not the cabin pressure :p

destinos

Reaction score
You can't lower the pressure in the DGIV cockpit to 0 without killing the astronauts already before reaching 0.

Just to clear this up, it is possible to adjust temp, pressure, and O2 levels in the cabin with the set of dials on the right hand panel thats below the flight computers. The astronauts can breathe off their suits if conditions in the cabin become uninhabitable, and I believe you can prepare them for this by turning on the "seatbelt" light on the left hand side of the panel where the airlock controls are located.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

you can open the canopy in space but its not the pressure looked at its the oxygen so empty the atmosphere of oxygen(make sure it gets to 0 and have the space suits on) and then you can open it in orbit without collapse

Do you think the simulator's just looking at O2 levels, and not pressure levels at all? Maybe the rationale is that if there's no O2, there can't be any pressure...

destinos

Reaction score
Just ran some trials on getting home from work. The simulator does take both into account, as the canopy is still destroyed at 0% oxygen under pressure. Not sure if there's a lower bound on either factor where the 'material' the canopy is constructed from can take the change. Maybe DanSteph will see this and enlighten, but I bet he's pretty busy with his new release!

destinos

Reaction score
For those of you following this with interest, The DGIV2 release doesn't seem to perform the same way when opening the canopy under 0 pressure and O2. I've gotten destruction each time ive tried it. Maybe it's got something to do with temp.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I've gotten destruction each time ive tried it. Maybe it's got something to do with temp.
But why? With zero pressure there's no heat convection, only conduction and radiation. If the canopy isn't a radiator from/to which heat is conducted to/from inside in high quantities, it shouldn't matter. A bug or a feature? I haven't tried DGIV2 yet, so I can't tell.

destinos

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know. I wasn't so much trying to explain why the destruction should or shouldnt happen, just to isolate what setting is causing it.

zeldafan156

Reaction score

hi am sort of new to orbiter and i was just wondering how do you put the suits on without being out of the ship (EVA)?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hi am sort of new to orbiter and i was just wondering how do you put the suits on without being out of the ship (EVA)?

Seatbelt button on the upper panel on the left.

In general:
F8 to change between glass cockpit, 3D cockpit and 2D panels, Ctrl + arrows to switch between lower, upper, left and right panels in 2D panel view.