Project Orbital Racer

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Inspired by the ORRL but nothing to do with that project in particular - though it would give a purpose to a vessel like this where one didn't exist before, thanks WHAP.

It's a concept for a rocket racer for atmospheric & orbital races, single seat, fusion rocket powered... tech maybe 100+ years from now it could complete races from vertical surface takeoff, to orbital checkpoints and back to the surface again.

Attachments

• ROCKETRACERS02a.jpg
    ROCKETRACERS02a.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 107

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks :speakcool:.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Hmmm... makes me think of a small XR2 with a rather insane thrust-to-mass ratio... :speakcool:

Is that... three engines I see, though? Because, in my mind, that would be the only explanation for the end being shaped so.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I hope the pilot is a robot! This thing looks like it easily kills humans at takeoff!!!

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Making the pilot a robot would defeat the whole purpose of racing!

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Feature request: ejection. In a multiplayer race, persons who live will have a higher score than those who don't. Obviously those who manage to salvage something out of the ship will end up with an even higher score, and in the rare instance someone finishes the race intact and alive they'll win.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ejection should be a standard safety feature.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
One could even go so far as to not include a cockpit at all and have it completely remote controlled.
Of course this is not nearly as appealing as flying those things :)

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Feature request: ejection. In a multiplayer race, persons who live will have a higher score than those who don't. Obviously those who manage to salvage something out of the ship will end up with an even higher score, and in the rare instance someone finishes the race intact and alive they'll win.

*stops timer* Within the first page too, i'm impressed... :lol:

i've no idea how a multiplayer mode would work for this in terms of scoring and gameovers... so i've no idea how worthwhile your idea is, but i'd be more likely to consider an ejection system for a non passenger vessel like this so you never know. e.g. it seems likely that something like this would have some sort of ejection system, whereas an XR2 wouldn't - its bad form to eject and leave your passengers behind. Still, do airrace pilots have ejection seats? - thinking of the red bull events... do they even have a parachute? I doubt it.

As for its power in relation to human tolerances... how much power would be fun? 10g of acceleration? 20g? more? then since it's not real you can always be creative with an explanation... genetically modified pilots, cyborg pilots, advanced drugs, mass reduction/inertia sheilding... though if you can do the latter then you've probably got access to way more advanced tech than a fusion rocket.;)

-----Post Added-----

Hmmm... makes me think of a small XR2 with a rather insane thrust-to-mass ratio... :speakcool:

Is that... three engines I see, though? Because, in my mind, that would be the only explanation for the end being shaped so.

Four, two large mains and a couple of smaller engines for fun... turbo boost maybe;) anyway it's just a quick concept painting at this point and the finished model might be quite different.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
*stops timer* Within the first page too, i'm impressed... :lol:

i've no idea how a multiplayer mode would work for this in terms of scoring and gameovers... so i've no idea how worthwhile your idea is, but i'd be more likely to consider an ejection system for a non passenger vessel like this so you never know. e.g. it seems likely that something like this would have some sort of ejection system, whereas an XR2 wouldn't - its bad form to eject and leave your passengers behind. Still, do airrace pilots have ejection seats? - thinking of the red bull events... do they even have a parachute? I doubt it.

You wouldn't even necessarily need to do something specific to score it. It'd just be a kind of bragging rights I guess. "I lived, so i win!" lol.

Doesn't UMMU come with a parachute? An ejection system then could be just as easy as throw a UMMU out vertically and let it parachute.

Real racers don't have ejection seats. They're heavy.

Real racers also have slightly more experience than we do, lol.

If it would take a lot of work, don't worry about it--not that big of a deal, and it certainly doesn't contribute to the racing aspect of it. It could just be fun to animate. Purely in the "eye candy" department.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The windows look a bit too large for a racer, usually racing cars have smaller windows. ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I disagree urwumpe. Good all round vision is important when negotiating gates and other racers at high speed!

Pah, weight is everything. Also is it orbital racing or just scaring goofers? :cheers:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
smaller windows than what? With the winky at the end there i'm not sure if you're trying to crack a joke or what...? either way, it doesn't have any windows, it has a canopy and the size (compared to the rather hurriedly rendered, and slightly indistinct, pilot) seems fine to me. She's a pretty small ship.

WHAP, like the xr2, a major challenge would be going as fast as possible without melting your ship.. it would be faster than the xr2 though.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I like it.
High speed low drag aspect ..... maybe with control surfaces that automaticly retract above a set altitude and speed. A handy lil ship that could be used for more than just racing.