News ORBITER ADDON COMPETITION DEVELOPMENT THREAD

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
My dev status:

I have two projects in development:

1: The Jupiter Europa Explorer (JEO) propossed as NASA Flagship mission for 2017 (CRSS office in San Joaquin de Flores, Heredia :p)

(Mission Picture)

3d modelling is finished :speakcool:. Now I'm coding the module: first in spacecraft3, later in C++ (need help for coding some new techs i want to implement).

Other thing to do is the scenario planning... so HARD to do. :sorry:

2: It will be choosen between BSS 601 satellite bus or the Orbital Star satellite bus. (CRSS Office in Nicoya, Guanacaste :p)

(Sample Satellite Pictures, there are aprox 8-10 models. Older images. The new models have new textures based in the BSS 702 :speakcool:)

Both have 3D modelling almost finished and BSS 601 has some coding in Spacecraft3, later to be implemented in C++. :speakcool:

I have some coding questions:
1-How can i implementate an alternating engine-running sequence (see images at the first page if the question gets you a WTF-squared face)
2-How can i implementate sun-tracking solar panels and/or earth-facing antennae?
3-How can put info in the HUD?
4-How can i simulate RTG power disminution?

Impressive! It looks like if you borrow one VASIMR engine from Franklin Chang, we could have a Costa Rican space agency.
I am just concerned about the driving skills of Costa Ricans if we ever plan to have any moderate space traffic...:lol:

Istochnikov

Costa Rica Space Systems' CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Impressive! It looks like if you borrow one VASIMR engine from Franklin Chang, we could have a Costa Rican space agency.

I think that this is the Chang's great dream :speakcool: (and mines too :p, for this reason, my "space agency" for Orbiter was named Costa Rica Space Systems :p... and... for this reason i want to join in Chang's team in the near future :speakcool:).

Other idea that i'm developing (early modelling) is a VASIMR tug shown in this video from youtube:

Lunar tug using Plasma Rocket

I am just concerned about the driving skills of Costa Ricans if we ever plan to have any moderate space traffic...:lol:

Hmmm, if the average skills of a tico are the same as mines for doing a slingshot... i think we're in problems :rofl:

Going in serious... DEV UPDATE:

• Europa Explorer Finished in Spacecraft 3.:woohoo:
  • BSS 601 in middle of modelling (i have to re-modell 14 diferent meshes!!! -Pablo, sorry for saying you this but I LOVE YOU for creating the mesh wizard :cheers:) soon i'll start the coding labor:)
  • STAR 2.4 modelling almost finished. Possibly it won't see the light before the nov 14th...
A little question: Is Talon1 still managing the competition?

Last edited:

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
:dry:I think this thread went to forget... so... I'll take it over!:threadjacked:

Alright, if anyone wants to keep this contest up then post your projects on Orbit Hangar Mods until the 1st of December and post here saying you're done, everyone ok?

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Fine by me. I think I'll be releasing my entry sometime this weekend.

Or maybe I'll wait until Tuesday.;)

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I haven't made nearly as much progress as I would have liked, but <poetic> I do think what I've got will make a good contribution to the constellation of add-ons... </poetic>

I consider them only 80% complete at this point, but I will soon upload them both to the hangar. And I can always update them:

- Minuteman II ICBM (dreadful, authentic and I believe, realistic. But the warhead is a dummy...no boom! Nobody gets hurt.)
- Salyut 6 station (uses spacecraft3, unfortunately no dll. If I can get UMMUFA to work with it I'll be sure to include links to it.)

I hear that the developer No Matter, who has some really fabulous work to his credit, was working on a Salyut 6, which gave me good reason to pause. But I suppose I might as well release mine, as it may be fun to some, while we wait for No Matter's work. (Meantime he's waiting for October Sky, as we all are.)

It's a Wednesday, so I'm not releasing today. ;)

Istochnikov

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know if i can do it for december 1st... My university and my job are absorving every minute i have. Though the JEO/EE is ready for releasing, it lacks for apropiate trajectories (i want to release it with an step-by-step scenary).

my.php
europaexploreronitstripen3.jpg

The BSS 601 is in a practical parallysis state... the same reasons, adding the fact that it's the most used satellite bus in the world (so, i have to model maaaaaany meshes :p).

Both ships are designed using spacecraft 3

I'll do the humanly possible for finishing and releasin' them before the date.

Talon1

Semi-Intermediate Add-on Dev.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know if i can do it for december 1st... My university and my job are absorving every minute i have. Though the JEO/EE is ready for releasing, it lacks for apropiate trajectories (i want to release it with an step-by-step scenary).

my.php
europaexploreronitstripen3.jpg

The BSS 601 is in a practical parallysis state... the same reasons, adding the fact that it's the most used satellite bus in the world (so, i have to model maaaaaany meshes :p).

Both ships are designed using spacecraft 3

I'll do the humanly possible for finishing and releasin' them before the date.
Well if you need more time, PM me. I could extend the due date.

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Finished my entry.

Posted on Orbit Hangar: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3646"]Lunar Base Niven v2.0[/ame]

Here's a screen shot:

orbiter2008-11-2322-40-20-90.png

Almost released it on a Tuesday;)

Last edited:

Talon1

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, here's my dev status:
I've abandond all my previos ships and made the Orbital Ion Cannon. It still has a few bugs to work out though (I need help with these bugs!). It will have, a working, non-destructive laser, be DGIV conpatible (meaning it can be loaded into the DGIV via scenario editor), and have animated solar pannels. And this is how it's supposed to look:
Project3.png

And this is how it looks now:
Project5.png

As you can see, it's a mess that I need help with. Here are the problems:

1. My solar panels are supposed to go like this:
Project4.png

Then this:
Project2.png

And finish off like this:
Project3.png

But instead, it ends up like this:
Project5.png

2. For some reason, the texture doesn't show on some of the pieces.

It's supposed to look like this:
Project3.png

But instead it looks like this:
Project2.png

3. It's not DGIV copateble yet.

Well thats all my problems so far.
Also, i'll attach what I have so far when I get home from school.
Thanks in advance for helping me:)

EDIT: Ugh!!!!! I so stupid!!! I forgot that I have the files on my USB drive!!!
Here it is:

EDIT, AGAIN: I took the files of because new one's are here

Last edited:

Istochnikov

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmmm... what program are you using for modelling your cannon? Anim8or caused me similar problems, so i had to switch to GMAX and later to 3DS Max. The problem is that the learnin' curve is soo steepy. But, in GMAX or 3DS you can clone a single solar panel (including texture) and implement a solar wing in less than 2 minutes :lol!:

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
For the textures, I would check if there's everything OK with the files, and maybe remake the files deleting the old ones, but this is extreme. Try also to make double-sided texture on the mesh; when the two "walls" of a 3D model are very close the texture from inside of the model may appear outside of the opposite"wall", and we know that inside the colour is the default unless you give it colour.

UPDATE TO NOT DOUBLE POSTING

My marks for the Niven Base are (for those who haven't noticed the update) here: http://dig-orbiter.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Talon1

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok.... I'll assume you guys are asking me what programs I used. I used Anim8or, MshMaker, and Mesh Wizard. I'll post what I have done so far when I get home from school.

EDIT: Ugh!!!!! I so stupid!!! I forgot that I have the files on my USB drive!!!
Here it is:

EDIT, AGAIN: I took the files of because new one's are here

Last edited: