SethEden

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.SethEden.com
Hey Guys,

I'm proud to announce that StableIT.org has been selected as the official distribution network and hosting management solution for the OrbiterSim LandSat project.

StableIT.org will also be hosting and seeding torrents for the next version of Orbiter 2009 as well as the Landsat suite of add-ons.

If any of you have any Orbiter torrents you would like to create or need help seeding then StableIT.org will be happy to help you in this process, StableIT.org will even create a page where you can link all your Orbiter torrents in one single place making it easier for people to find all your packages.

StableIT.org is a child of StableIT.com which offers site design/management and StableIT.net which serves web/domain hosting, please consider StableIT.org for your next website project and web hosting / domain name needs!

Cheers
~Seth
www.SethEden.com

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Seth for the introduction, I’ve always been a big fan of simulators and space games!

I’m proud to offer these services to the Orbiter community and help where I can :)

Thank you!
Eric

-- updated 12/27/13 --
The files are available via direct download through http://orbitersimulator.com

Please inform me of any trouble!

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Excellent news! Thanks for your orbiter support! Torrents seem a good way to distribute in particular large addons, such as planet textures. I will use this service to distribute the Earth and Moon textures for the next version, which are too big to be handled by my web service provider (who already isn't too happy about the number of terabytes I'm using up each month ;)).

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Excellent news! Thanks for your orbiter support! Torrents seem a good way to distribute in particular large addons, such as planet textures.

This point itself needed a solution larger than a single point of resolution. I hope to organize that solution through community torrents :)

I will use this service to distribute the Earth and Moon textures for the next version, which are too big to be handled by my web service provider (who already isn't too happy about the number of terabytes I'm using up each month ;)).

I'm grateful to have you on board! Challenging as it is, but Wonderfully all the same, this projects grown to need a bit more distribution - lurking about the outskirts (ok im a troll of very minor sorts) I've noted that it may be headed towards a need like this. I'm thankful to be able to offer a solution!

My respect and thanks Dr ,
Eric

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

Just to note blame where blame is deserved, I blame Seth for always keeping my 'minor troll status' with him spending the past half decade plus sending me notes and keeping me up to date on Orbiter :)

So.. I've bicouriously trolled through him?!? I feel even more dirty than before this post.. :lol:

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a valid question, or even if what I'm doing is correct, as my experience of torrents is practically nill.
However, thought I would join in and do some hosting. Seems to work, but all of Seth's textures have "Error : Element not found" messages.

Using BitTorrent 6.2.

Here's a screen pic:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k207/Notebook_04/Image1-1.jpg

Any ideas?
thanks, N.

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Notebook, I'll start working on this and see what I can sort out :)

ThatGuy

Reaction score
My only problem with this is that I can't gain access them. P2P is not allowed on campus.

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
My only problem with this is that I can't gain access them. P2P is not allowed on campus.

Thats a good point, there are non-P2P ideas on my desk for this project and a few have been examined fairly well but they are not launch ready.

Unfortunatly those are probably not going to come into a release for another month / 2 months.

I'm sure there will be a post on my site and very possibly here as well when this does start to surface :)

Thank you,
Eric

---------- Post added at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Not sure if this is a valid question, or even if what I'm doing is correct, as my experience of torrents is practically nill.
However, thought I would join in and do some hosting. Seems to work, but all of Seth's textures have "Error : Element not found" messages.

Using BitTorrent 6.2.

Here's a screen pic:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k207/Notebook_04/Image1-1.jpg

Any ideas?
thanks, N.

I looked at this and the files work from inside my network. I've done a bit of email support via the [About->Contact] page and had reports of various files coming through as recently as about 18 hours ago.

Can someone please verify?

Eric

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Notebook, I'll start working on this and see what I can sort out :)

If its any help, I now have a complete "..._Earth_L8" file.
All the others have one or more elements missing. Usually just one.

N.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Tell them to sort it out. A lot of science data is distributed by torrents. Tell them it'll increase their research potential.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Tell them to sort it out. A lot of science data is distributed by torrents. Tell them it'll increase their research potential.

Because P2P is so popular, it put a strain on their servers. So they had to completely ban it.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Because P2P is so popular, it put a strain on their servers. So they had to completely ban it.
If you're using wifi, you may just have to briefly relocate to a cafe or something rather which provides free wireless internet. Not sure how they would feel about having torrents downloaded, though (a lot of people think torrents=piracy), but I doubt they will care. Or notice, for that matter.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I'll start seeding the torrents when they're released as I have a pretty good server on a dedicated 100Mb/s link to the UK backbone.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Sorry to waste your time, I've put the files and BitTorrent on my laptop and they are downloading and seeding fine. Looks like my Vista box is at fault, its just started telling me the hard drive is about to fail. It did that two years ago, when it was new, and I ignored it. Suppose I'd better start backing things up.

Co-incidence, or do torrent files get into places normal files don't?

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
That bodes ill, the hard drive failure warning is coming up every 10 minutes now. I'm away from it for a few days, maybe the rest will do it good...

N.

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry to waste your time, I've put the files and BitTorrent on my laptop and they are downloading and seeding fine. Looks like my Vista box is at fault, its just started telling me the hard drive is about to fail. It did that two years ago, when it was new, and I ignored it. Suppose I'd better start backing things up.

Co-incidence, or do torrent files get into places normal files don't?

N.

No need to be sorry - glad its working!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, new disk, its getting more insistent, every few minutes. It'll have to wait a few days, till I get paid at the end of the month!

Luckily there isn't any data that isn't backed up, so it should be straight forward.

N.