Orbiter Flag Challange - "Grand Tour" style

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've never deorbited onto Titan actually....
Might give it a go (as well as the actual competition)How high is a "safe" orbit around Titan? 300m?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've never deorbited onto Titan actually....
Might give it a go (as well as the actual competition)How high is a "safe" orbit around Titan? 300m?

300m?
That isn't a safe orbit around anything.
I hope you mean 300km.
No, I doubt it.
I tried an orbit of 2500 Km, but I'm still not sure where the top of the atmosphere is.

Deorbiting is rather simple, there is hardly any risk of burning up, the atmosphere slows you down high up. You might just get bored waiting for the craft to land, though. ;)

As I said, it is like flying through syrup.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Titan.cfg says Atmospheric Alt limit is 600e3. Does this mean 600km?

EliNaut

Reaction score
You might just get bored waiting for the craft to land, though. ;)

As I said, it is like flying through syrup.

Ahahaa been there :lol:
I was taking a DGIV down and after about 20 minutes I started getting anxious and loosened up on the hovers so I could gain some speed. I actually at one point went downstairs to watch some special report on TV and came back up to find I was still a few minutes from landing.

Ahhh... good times. :rofl:

And by the way, when he said 300m he might have meant also 300M. If that's the case, thats safe around alot then.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ahahaa been there :lol:
I was taking a DGIV down and after about 20 minutes I started getting anxious and loosened up on the hovers so I could gain some speed. I actually at one point went downstairs to watch some special report on TV and came back up to find I was still a few minutes from landing.

Ahhh... good times. :rofl:

And by the way, when he said 300m he might have meant also 300M. If that's the case, thats safe around alot then.

I didn't even use hovers, only for the last few seconds...
But reentry was easy and relaxing. On Earth, hull temps rise up, and everything happens pretty quickly, and on Mars, you just don't stop.

And I doubt 300 M would be safe, orbit further away and Saturn starts to pull you away. Even at 2M, The G counter on orbit MFD reads 0.94.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm making a MFD to lay down the flags. First OrbiterSDK Project, so progress is slow, but should be done by end of this week.

Then I might actually try the challenge myself...

EliNaut

Reaction score
I didn't even use hovers, only for the last few seconds...
But reentry was easy and relaxing. On Earth, hull temps rise up, and everything happens pretty quickly, and on Mars, you just don't stop.

And I doubt 300 M would be safe, orbit further away and Saturn starts to pull you away. Even at 2M, The G counter on orbit MFD reads 0.94.

What I was saying was that 300 M was high enough so you wouldn't have to worry about hitting Titan's atmosphere. And I took on Titan lunar-style the first time I went there, thinking, "Well.. it's a moon isn't it?" ;)
So hovers took up most of my decent as it didn't take long to chop of horizontal velocity.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
PlantFlagMFD is ready!

I've finished that MFD. You can download with the challenge -
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3787"]The Grand Flag Challenge[/ame]
or without -
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3802"]PlantFlagMFD[/ame]

I was going to make it so it EVAs a crew member with a flag, but then I opened up the UMMU SDK doc -
2-You are NOT allowed to use UMmu for other purpose than a fully compatible UMmu addon.​
This mean you cannot ask users to install UMmu just to have some Mmus around in your scenario, your
addon must have all features of UMmu working : EVA, transfer to<->from other « UMmu » addons,
saving/loading of crew in scenario etc etc. (Users that will be requested to install UMmu will expect
that your addon is fully compatible, it would be unfair to fool them on your real addon’s features)

I could always send him a "puppy eyes" email....

anyway, enjoy.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was going to make it so it EVAs a crew member with a flag, but then I opened up the UMMU SDK doc -

That isn't necessary anyway, as both the DGIV and XR2 are Ummu capable.
For vessels that aren't, there is computerex's UMMUFA.​

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That isn't necessary anyway, as both the DGIV and XR2 are Ummu capable.
For vessels that aren't, there is computerex's UMMUFA.

That's what I mean. in the XR2 or DGIV (or any other UMMU compatible craft) EVA a crew member grappling a flag.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just a bug report, is that the MFD plugin is installed into the wrong folder. It should be installed into the Plugin folder, not Plugins.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks a million for pointing that out, it's now fixed.

Why didn't I see that? :blink:

mewcurano

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying to do this. Not sure exactly what ships I'll use. I'm thinking of a DGIV for atmo landings, one of those Altair looking landers that comes with the Deepstar for non-atmo landing. And the Domovan for the mother ship (The Deepstar's too graphics demanding for my comp =p )

Not sure how to do the venus drop. Thinking of going into orbit, undocking the dgiv, doing a retro burn, releasing the flag, and then quickly doing a pro burn before I die.

Anyone's thoughts on any of this?

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying to do this. Not sure exactly what ships I'll use. I'm thinking of a DGIV for atmo landings, one of those Altair looking landers that comes with the Deepstar for non-atmo landing. And the Domovan for the mother ship (The Deepstar's too graphics demanding for my comp =p )

Not sure how to do the venus drop. Thinking of going into orbit, undocking the dgiv, doing a retro burn, releasing the flag, and then quickly doing a pro burn before I die.

Anyone's thoughts on any of this?

It is perfectly safe (if your patient) to enter the venus atmosphere. From my own experiences, the DGIV can handle operating its engines in up to 1Mpa of pressure (that's 10x Earth Sea Level) but your really pushing your luck. If you watch your dyn pressures and you can come to a hover at a fairly low altitude (40+km I recommend) and just pretend you got a Ummu throwing a flag out the airlock. I have reentered Venus myself in a DGIV so I know it is quite possible.

cr1

Promoting vegetables in space
Reaction score
What PeA did you use with Venus?

Iomat

Captain of the XR-2 Sataragoa
Reaction score
Starting preperations for Flag challange using the scenario. Currently doing testing on landers.

Ships locked in for the trip:
Deepstar-mother ship

Considering:
DGIV-lander
XR-2-lander
DGIV PSA-landing probe

Is it cheating to use an unmanned suicide lander for difficult areas?

orbiterguy

Reaction score
lol if u don't use time warp it will take somethin like 15 yrs

---------- Post added 04-05-10 at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-04-10 at 11:10 PM ----------

could i use xr5?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm trying this, mostly because once I finish I should be a grandmaster of transfers, reentries and aerocaptures (I'm aerocapturing on every body that has an atmosphere...only at Mars right now having started at Mercury...can't wait for the big ones).

Artlav, are you going to continue your recounts? They're great, and I'd like to see more of them. Maybe the 'bringer of Old Age' is next, a la Planets Suite?

Iomat

Captain of the XR-2 Sataragoa
Reaction score
I have now locked in the DGIV PSA to keep an eye on the deepstar while i am gone.

For Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune I am thinking of placing a flag in an unstable orbit to fall into the atmosphere. Does that count as placing a flag?

could i use xr5?
You could but it might be tricky doing atmospheric ascents without the scramjets as the XR-5 is very heavy.

Last edited: