orbiter for windows mobile

J_Aerospace

Reaction score
Hi there just wanted to through this into the air how about a windowsmobile version of orbiter. I know you would have to recompile the scource code which i dont think would
think would be to touble some? lower the
graphics spec and hey there u go.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Even if you could convince Martin to do a WinCE compilation of Orbiter core, what do you expect to see on a PocketPC?
The amount of Windows Mobile devices with any significant 3D graphics capability is vanishingly small.

Other than that, the idea is great - "Orbiter Mobile: The Cosmos in your pocket".

Not going to happen until Sony Vaio VGN sized devices will be made into cell phones.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I agree with Artlav. I have an iPaq and as much as I would love to play Orbiter on it, I expect that Orbiter would quickly bring it to its knees. Also, with the a 3.5" screen at 320x240 minus some space for a virtual keyboard, you would be hard pressed getting good situational awareness.

That is not to say you can't have some good orbital fun on pocket size devices though. See this discussion on m6 where Trevor Bradley was developing an Orbital game for his GP2X. He even made a video of it in action. Not sure if he ever took it further.

Cornflake

Reaction score
Even if you could convince Martin to do a WinCE compilation of Orbiter core, what do you expect to see on a PocketPC?
The amount of Windows Mobile devices with any significant 3D graphics capability is vanishingly small.

Are you kidding? I have a 3D racing game for my iPaq 2210 (Which was made in 2003, 400MHz processor)... It looked a bit like PS1 graphics, but it still ran pretty well. I doubt rendering a couple textured spheres on screen and a (low-poly) model of the Orbiter would be too much. Of course, it would all have to be done on the CPU because I don't think any of them have dedicated graphics processors. I think the bigger problem would be what tblaxland mentioned with the screen size and situational awareness, and of course, all the math calculations going on behind the scenes. I think the 3D part wouldn't be the hard part.

Although, get one of those super-expensive MicroPCs and I'm sure they can run Orbiter out of the box :)

P.S. PocketPCs would probably have 3D processors by now if cell phones and smart phones and blackbarries (etc) didn't takeover by storm like they have, PocketPCs were increasing in power every day but a lot of interest was lost on them over the years, not as many people are writing new software for it. I would still love Command & Conquer for the PocketPC though (Source code would be handy, of course!) :speakcool:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cooling is a real problem in the pocket devices if you ramp up their power.

We all know that cooling becomes a standard for quite a few parts of the computer quite fast these days :p