Project Orbiter Galaxy

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
but as i know, to generate planets you need many textures, if so just call me))

I'll rely on Artlavs procedural textures library mostly, but as far as I understand it it can't produce terrestrial planets yet, so I may indeed need a small amount of pre-generated textures. I'll see about that when I get there, thanks for your offer. I'll tell you if I need something.

The bar *is* the bulge, as I understand it. (But strictly, I've heard "core" mostly used to refer to the nucleus, which is just the central few parsecs).

yeah, I came to the same understanding through a bit more reading... which is a bit unpleasant, because now I have to check wheather a star lies within the volume of a three-dimensional elipsoid. And I totally suck at geometry :sos:

0.5 ly sounds like a bit of overkill, but aye, close binaries are tough to model.

How much would you consider sensible? the 0.5 lightyears where chosen purely out of convieniance, since it also imrpoves oversight. Allthough that goes to hell anyways when you look at the core.

GUI is comming along nicely. Implemented a HotSpot system that allows the user to save points of interest and directly acces them through a menu (also shows where they are in the galaxy overview map). Further planed upgrades on the interface are a search function (that's a toughy... I hate string operations. I hope I'll find some code lying around on the net) and a few graphical indicators in the planetary info display that give an immediate impression of the conditions on the planet without going through all the numbers.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
yeah, I came to the same understanding through a bit more reading... which is a bit unpleasant, because now I have to check wheather a star lies within the volume of a three-dimensional elipsoid. And I totally suck at geometry :sos:

You'd have to do it for a non-barred spiral too, because I understand that even non-barred bulges tend to be a bit flattened.

How much would you consider sensible? the 0.5 lightyears where chosen purely out of convieniance, since it also imrpoves oversight. Allthough that goes to hell anyways when you look at the core.

Well, the general rule of thumb in orbital mechanics is that two orbiting stars can sustain planets in stable orbits around one star with an outer limit of 1/5 to 1/3 (depending who you ask) of the separation between the two, or around the pair with an inner limit of 3 to 5 times the separation.

So whatever your outer limit is for where planets can form, you can safely have a star all the way in to 3 to 5 times that.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The screenshot certainly looks spectacular. Alas I'll have to wait 'till next month to download it, or I'll most certainly exceed my traffic limit...

gertz

Reaction score
poor((
if u want, i can upload a screenshots of all planets, u want?

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

by th way, how many planet textures u need for your galaxy project?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Will you be using something akin to Sudarsky classifications?

What classes of terrestrial planets are planned?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
if u want, i can upload a screenshots of all planets, u want?

No need, I have enough to do currently. I'll download it next month (a week vacation, YEAH!) and look at it.

by th way, how many planet textures u need for your galaxy project?

As I said, I don't know yet... I will certainly not need them soon. Allthough it looks like I might make the Demo-Release after summer vacation, plugging the whole thing into Orbiter for a stable Alpha will take another 6 months at least, I guess!

Will you be using something akin to Sudarsky classifications?

What classes of terrestrial planets are planned?

I actually had to look up what Sudarsky classifications are just now... :lol:

Currently I'm going with the standard types that StarGen exports: Rocky (no Atmosphere), Martian (atmosphere but no water), Venutian (dense atmospheres, runaway greenhouse effect), Terrestrial (Atmosphere, at least half covered in water), Oceanic (Atmosphere, at least 90% covered in water), Ice Ball, One-Faced, Gas Dwarf, Sub-Jovian and Jovian (I think I got them all...)

Since the Sudarsky Classifications are based on Temperatures, I guess they would be easy enough to implement.

There are not different Terrestrial classes per se, but Stargen is incredibly dynamic (which is why I wanted to use it in the first place).

Terrestrial means the planet got some Atmosphere and a significant water-covering. It does not say how warm it is, how dense the atmosphere is, what surface gravity it has or what components are in the atmosphere. These atributes are all calculated independently of the planet class (indeed the class is something that gets assigned by the programm AFTER the planet has been generated, just to grant the user a faster oversight).

I've encountered Terrestrial planets with allmost pure Hydrogen atmospheres (bring you oxygen and have fun!! :thumbup:), with poisonous atmospheres (large traces of chlorine and similiar stuff), or where the atmosphere is so thin that the oceans are actually boiling. So, you can look forward to quite some diversity when it comes to planets. (Alas there are no geological atributes... yet. That's one of the plans for Orbiter Galaxy 2.0).

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Currently I'm going with the standard types that StarGen exports: Rocky (no Atmosphere), Martian (atmosphere but no water), Venutian (dense atmospheres, runaway greenhouse effect), Terrestrial (Atmosphere, at least half covered in water), Oceanic (Atmosphere, at least 90% covered in water), Ice Ball, One-Faced, Gas Dwarf, Sub-Jovian and Jovian (I think I got them all...)

What's a One-Faced?

Tidally locked planet?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What's a One-Faced?

Tidally locked planet?

Tidally locked to the sun, yes. Allthough it only gets counted as such if it has an atmosphere, otherwise it's just a rocky planet with very high temperature differences. I think the type was introduced because you can't really predict what happens to a planet with an atmosphere when it's tidally locked, so they just called it one-faced.

gertz

Reaction score
Does anyone of you played freelancer or eve?
There are many planets, if you want to use them as examples

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think the use of scientifically governed concepts would be more apt.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can't remember any planets from freelancer. only a few marbles hanging around... :lol:

gertz

Reaction score
Never played Eve. Don't have the money nor the time for it.
me too(((
but game is cooooooool, you can play free trial 14 days, so you can see many space objects, i recomend it:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: