Project Orbiter MMU (oMMU) development thread

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but I fear the project might stall quite a bit from now on.
It is not finished yet, the main developer practically left, there is no real team to it, and to top that: the main motivation - to replace UMmu - is gone due to DanSteph's announcement of eventually updating his addons for 2016 after all this time.

If you are waiting for this, I think you will be disappointed.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That is sad that this has stalled. There can be more than one to do EVA,.....
With the 2016 STS which is the SF in 2016. But it has different features,.....

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
SF? Science fiction? Are you developing fictional STS vessels?
Also, I didn't follow OMMU much since I thought it would takeoff in 2020 with thorough developing by community. Now, I realised it was exclusively developed by one person instead.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Apologies for the necropost, but just wondering, is there any chance of someone else picking this up? I'd really like to have this capability back in the Cortez, and eventually the Agamemnon and Maintenance Fury.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Apologies for the necropost, but just wondering, is there any chance of someone else picking this up? I'd really like to have this capability back in the Cortez, and eventually the Agamemnon and Maintenance Fury.
The OMMU development is dormant because @dansteph is working on UMMU for Orbiter 2016.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

I agree there, I could also use a FOSS alternative to Ummu

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The OMMU development is dormant because @dansteph is working on UMMU for Orbiter 2016.
Dansteph has been MIA on his 2016 update thread since February. He stopped work on all his addons because he needed to work on commercial software to support his family. Both projects are now dormant.

Posted by user WolfAngriff on 11/06/2021
Hi !
I've spoken about this with Dan himself a few months ago, and the problem was that Dan didn't earn any money during the time he spent developing for Orbiter 2016. And he wasn't exactly happy to see how Orbiter 2016 stays without any upgrades and maintenance. We (the french-speaking community) don"t have any news from him since a long time now, but as Face said, he's probably developing for FS2020 and other things, as to put something in the fridge. The idea of a commercial simulator is not a bad one for him, but he "disapeared" and the topic was left. It's frustrating to stay without knowing about him though. As you all, i can just hope that he and his family are well and happy.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I've abandoned the project or left, I just became busier than I imagined and pretty much lost all time for working on anything outside of work. I'll see if I can get things into a more usable state but I don't think I'll make the mistake of making any promises.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I've abandoned the project or left, I just became busier than I imagined and pretty much lost all time for working on anything outside of work. I'll see if I can get things into a more usable state but I don't think I'll make the mistake of making any promises.
I completely understand and relate to that, so no judgement here. I was simply wondering if someone else could pick it up and run with it. Appreciate all you've done so far, and if there's anything I can assist with, I'll do what I can (also not making any promises either).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

That is no problem, I also have to learn how to code with maybe 1 or 2 hours available per week. If you need any support or help there, just let me know.

Owenmck

Read the documentation!
Reaction score
I mean, we do have access to the source code now. We could shoot at making something like this more than an addon. Just a thought.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I mean, we do have access to the source code now. We could shoot at making something like this more than an addon. Just a thought.
If you mean for oMMU? yes. I think a link is on the first page

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
If you mean for oMMU? yes. I think a link is on the first page
I believe he meant that access to the source code for orbiter is now possible so in theory it would be possible to integrate such functionality directly in the core instead of having it be addon-dependent.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I believe he meant that access to the source code for orbiter is now possible so in theory it would be possible to integrate such functionality directly in the core instead of having it be addon-dependent.

Yes. But I wouldn't really like this. Support in the core to make such add-ons easier, sure, makes sense maybe. But I don't want a too fat Orbiter core there, that provides functions for every eventuality or use case.

Maybe a common definition, what actually an astronaut is, would be nice for being able to exchange astronauts between various add-ons using different frameworks.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes. But I wouldn't really like this. Support in the core to make such add-ons easier, sure, makes sense maybe.
Yeah, I think the framework for handling vessel crew is really best provided by third-parties for maximum liberty. However, an interface for crew outside the vessel might be really helpful. Not a full implementation, but enough to guarantee that crew can be exchanged between vessels no matter what they use to implement crew handling internally would be cool. And maybe even some special handling for MMUs in landed state. With a different control scheme to enable WASD+mouse input...

Hmph... Now that I think about it, considering there's by now a lot of vehicles, sibbling classes to the VESSEL interface for crew and vehicles might not be a bad idea...

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
On the technical side, AFAIK UMmu used some docking or attachment trick to realize crew transfer, be it to another vessel or environment. At least I had to hack into this in order to implement direct crew transfer in the Ascension Ultra project. It would be nice if the core supports this without hacks. Other than this, I too would suggest keeping UMmu-like features out of the core as far as possible.

JDat

Reaction score
Sound like supervessel structure.
Every umMMu is vessel.
You undock from DeltaGlider seat.
Fly into airlock. Need to check if airlock door open.
Depressureize airlock.
Fly into space.
Fly into another vessel.
Dock with your new seat. :D
Land Space Shutlle superstructure with passengers.

Ahh. @Face was 1st. :)