Orbiter theme song?

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
all really nice, but not really "custom" quite yet...

i´m almost there with my custom theme... hang on :uhh:

it's real - i mean it :lol: i just don't wanna post it untill i have something presentable in hands

cheers!

Keatah

Reaction score
hmm.. while this thread is presenting decent choices. I think that songs that are "too obvious" should be immediately disqualified. such as the right stuff and the symohphonofony of science one.

Also, most of the tunes are suitable for certain parts of orbiter only. We have yet to see one that can encompass the whole of the program.

And to be honest each entry is only really gonna mean something to the person making the suggestion. Therefore, Martin should come up with something and then let us vote on it. As a song DOES NOT have to appeal to everybody in order for it to get 'elected'..

Unstung

Reaction score
It has to be an instrumental for me, having lyrics do not seem right.

Keatah

Reaction score
Definitely instrumental and definitely NOT rock'n'roll. That's a whole different genre made for other stuff like sex and drugs and partying! Nothing to do with Orbiter in the least.

Also just because a song has a previous 'space theme' doesn't mean it's appropriate for Orbiter. I don't think the previously posted "moon OST 4" fits orbiter, but that is just me. It tells a story, not a theme. Lets see more choices!

Ohh god!!! That science song is full of autotune..!!

Last edited:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

Just kidding(Partialy).

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I may date my taste in music a bit, but I would think that Yes-The Ladder / Homeworld would be a nice song for cruising through space.

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Although it may need 'a little help' :lol::lol:

We should hold a contest and have some prize... I know there's lots of local bands out there that this community knows :)

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
Well let's see, the theme for stargate is for stargate, not orbiter. The next choice has lyrics. next..

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I think that's a pretty epic theme... I don't think it would be appropriate as an Orbiter theme song, but if Orbiter were to have a theme song, IMO it should have the same degree of epic-ness. :p

pebble

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd vote for Bach's Air in G:

Though I'm also pretty fond of the theme to Voyager, which has the right note of adventure, gravitas, optimism, and dignity.

Keatah

Reaction score
My science song of that symphony of science?

yehp! Autotune through and through!! perhaps they wanted it that way or something. I'm just not a fan of it. But apparently a market exists for it and it somehow is used in pop music like rap and spears' and cher's stuff..

As for air in the G-string, I would vote for it. It is important to note it doesn't encompass all the aspects of orbiter. Nor does it have a varying tempo. And it is not epic enough. It doesn't span the orbiter universe enough. But hey that's all right, it is a default song and when I hear it I imagine orbiter for an instant.

Either that or something like the star trek 2009 theme, but it HAS to be different, because star trek music *IS* star trek music afterall. But the style is right.

Voyager's music is the right style too, but again, it *IS* for voyager and not orbiter.

Orbiter needs something of its own. When orbiter is grand enough and gets commercialized (it will happen) then we don't want to have any problems, right?

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
not sure about it being commercialized... Martin doesn't seem very inclined towards that side of the wall (luckily for us :lol:) - but it's safe to say Orbiter is bound to get greater and greater

and as it does, legal issues aside - Orbiter DESERVES a custom theme song :yes: - that's why i'm already intent in composing one (it's coming along nicely, BTW, i just have to sort out some notes in the middle-theme bars before posting a first draft)

i guess what i have in mind sounds like a John Williams / Michael Kamen thing... roughly inspired by the FSX main menu song, but a little more "spacey" - and yes, it has a little StarTrek-ish intro :thumbup:

and meanwhile, i'm yet learning to play the keyboards - no, not the instrument, i mean the actualy computer keyboard, which works as a 2-octave piano in the MIDI sequencer :hmm:... i'm a guitar player, so while the theory is basically the same, the actual playing takes some getting used to :p

it's looking... er, SOUNDING good! - hang on ;)

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
Great idea! :D

Here's my own take on a possible theme-song for Orbiter. Written and recorded by me.

There are 3 versions (and 1 combining them all into 1)

#1: A classical theme
#2: A techno/electronic theme
#3: A rock/blues theme

They are all based on the same theme melody, so it's the same song just differently arranged basically.
In the classical version the theme can be heard in it's most simple form in the beginning solo guitar-part (the first half of which is where the lyrics fit in (the first part which is repeated twice))

It even has lyrics (just in case, haha. They go along the first verse-part)

it's called orbital mechanics,
i'm an orbital mechanic,
i fly round and round the planets,
and the stars

I tried to make the theme easily recognizable and one that astronauts can hum or whistle while going about their business :) (inspired by that pirat/sailor song that was posted)

Well, enjoy! :tiphat:
JEL

And the link ofcourse, to the mp3's (fully legal downloads):
http://jelair.jelstudio.dk/dataloop/