Gaming orbiter video i made recently...

good?

• Total voters

zeldafan156

Reaction score
hey i just made this yesterday and i wanted to know what you guys think... its my first time realy trying to make a video and not just throw some crap in a pile, and its also the first time realy trying to use Vegas pro,sorta,:camera:

feedback is appreciated :)

Unstung

Reaction score
To be honest:
I got real bored about 30 seconds into it, skipped ahead for a while, then quit. The first problem is that it's too long. It also uses far too lengthy shots. Second, if you want to make a "real" "video game video" (two phrases that contradict themselves in my opinion), you need to practice more and watch others' videos. I can understand the whole video from watching a second of each shot, it's a rudimentary montage.
I started out by watching this, recommended to me: http://tinyurl.com/2az43s I got some ideas from it.
Now, I don't want to be "mean," or anything, this is what I really think of the video (this is more critical): It looks like a bunch of random clips from a flight thrown together in Movie Maker set to music. Sony Vegas has a lot of potential, and I haven't even used much of it. You need to watch others' flight videos; Ramasurinen's is the perfect example and Tex's have many good parts; and learn from them. Take some ideas, some techniques from the videos.
You can also Google film techniques, video editing tips, etc. Read a few and try from there. Youtube has many, many tutorials for Sony Vegas. Though, to be honest, practice is better than the tutorials, or to try to figure out what you want to do first. Practice by making short videos. When you're ready, spend effort in making longer ones.
Finally, make a detailed plan in your head, at least, for the video. When it gets more advanced, you'd want to write things down on paper to be more organized and be more efficient, possibly in the form of a screenplay or shot list.

Last edited:

zeldafan156

Reaction score
To be honest:
I got real bored about 30 seconds into it, skipped ahead for a while, then quit. The first problem is that it's too long. It also uses far too lengthy shots. Second, if you want to make a "real" "video game video" (two phrases that contradict themselves in my opinion), you need to practice more and watch others' videos. I can understand the whole video from watching a second of each shot, it's a rudimentary montage.
I started out by watching this, recommended to me: http://tinyurl.com/2az43s I got some ideas from it.
Now, I don't want to be "mean," or anything, this is what I really think of the video (this is more critical): It looks like a bunch of random clips from a flight thrown together in Movie Maker set to music. Sony Vegas has a lot of potential, and I haven't even used much of it. You need to watch others' flight videos; Ramasurinen's is the perfect example and Tex's have many good parts; and learn from them. Take some ideas, some techniques from the videos.
You can also Google film techniques, video editing tips, etc. Read a few and try from there. Youtube has many, many tutorials for Sony Vegas. Though, to be honest, practice is better than the tutorials, or to try to figure out what you want to do first. Practice by making short videos. When you're ready, spend effort in making longer ones.
Finally, make a detailed plan in your head, at least, for the video. When it gets more advanced, you'd want to write things down on paper to be more organized and be more efficient, possibly in the form of a screenplay or shot list.

i appreciate the feedback :thumbup: i will look into "studying" some videos, and yes, that fsx video was epic

supersonic

Add-on Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
fsxpilots.webs.com
A few other tips, press i to hide everything in the upper corners and check the hide cursor option with your video recorder.
Anyway nice job.:thumbup:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
hahahah that airplane race movie is amazing!

zeldafan156

Reaction score
this thread may be old BUT if your still reading it, then check this out, its another thing i made recently, just to see how it would turn out,no its orbiter, its a WWII plane simulator, i tried making it look like you where watching real WWII gun cam footage ;)

Unstung

Reaction score
Certainly have improved, Zeldafan, despite some shots are still too lengthy. Can you turn off the ID's above the aircraft?
I really liked how your wingman cut in at about 1 minute. 0:46 - 1:06 would be a very good cut, IMO. One last thing, I don't like how the saturation is decreased. Color corrections are more effective, and sometimes more than one effect will greatly help. You can also adjust the intensity of effects during a clip.
Also, your videos can be short, if I haven't mentioned this before, even in the 1 - 2 minute range. It seems to keep more of the general audience attention, too.
Keep it up.

zeldafan156

Reaction score
yeah... i couldnt get rid of the id on the tops of the planes at that time, actualy im not pretty sure if you can, i wish you could though...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
yeah... i couldnt get rid of the id on the tops of the planes at that time, actualy im not pretty sure if you can, i wish you could though...
Yeah, you'd think 'no icons' would disable the, you know, icons, but it doesn't.

If anyone knows how, I'd like to know too, because I'm tired of 'cheating' by knowing the enemy's direction and range from so far away, and all my recordings look bad.

Nice takedown at 2:41, by the way. Double-kill! :rofl:

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
this thread may be old BUT if your still reading it, then check this out, its another thing i made recently, just to see how it would turn out,no its orbiter, its a WWII plane simulator, i tried making it look like you where watching real WWII gun cam footage ;)

YouTube - IL-2 realistic WWII gun cam footage
Go video, but try some more intense music. After you are in air combat. :thumbup: