Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Orulex is a terrain generator for Orbiter that i once made.
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2686"]Orulex_Land_Gen-v1.2[/ame]

It was not updated for almost 6 years, for a variety of reasons.
I've recently dug up the sources for a version of it that would compile and run, dated from somewhere between then and now.

Which begs a question:
Is there a need for an update to Orulex?

I'm not talking about any new features or performance improvements.

Orulex was compiled about 5 years ago for Orbiter 2006P1, so i suspect there might be compatibility issues now.
If there are, i can fix these and recompile wrt the current SDK, so that it would run in Orbiter 2010P1 cleanly. Minor bugs and hiccups are also open targets.
I have not found the sources for the manual.

Make no mistake, it will still not run with D3D*Client, it will still feature no collision detection, etc.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, since Orbiter will come with terrain support, maybe Orulex sort-of survived itself. But sure some features of it will be nice to have, like some procedural "ground clutter" to refine the terrain.

McGalcri

Reaction score
Hey! I discovered Orulex only 1 week ago hahaha, I love it!! :thumbup:

Also, its working PERFECT in my Orbiter 2010 P1 installation, without bugs (at least in my case). The only bug i have, its using the World_Studio, also working good, but i see in some cases, a huge fonts! Let me add a pic...

Also,... i have no idea how to download new textures and Tiles and paste them hehehehe. Are there any tutorial about how to do it?

Any tutorial about how to create new textures for planets?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The only bug i have, its using the World_Studio
World Studio is well and truly dead.
I neither have the sources for it, nor do the servers it used still exist.
So, no more tiles.

For making terrain, there is a nice thread over there:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=33205

Well, since Orbiter will come with terrain support, maybe Orulex sort-of survived itself. But sure some features of it will be nice to have, like some procedural "ground clutter" to refine the terrain.
I believe OGLAClient works fine with Orulex terrain definitions, so there is that.

The purpose of the proposed update is to fix any compatibility bugs that might potentially exist (but apparently don't), since only Probe knows when the next Tuesday will be.

Columbia42

Reaction score
Orulex is a really good addon, but two major things prevent me from using it that much, one is compatibility with D3D9 and the other is that terrain generation is tremendously graphics heavy. For these reasons, I would be far more interested in seeing further development of OGLA for Orbiter than in just seeing a compatible Orulex standalone.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Orulex deserves an update for the DX9 client, since that's what the majority of people use. It needs no new functions and works correctly and quite fast with Orbiter 2010.

"Simply" fix it to support the DX9 client and higher resolution ground tiles, and that's it... :cheers:

Furet

Reaction score
The purpose of the proposed update is to fix any compatibility bugs that might potentially exist (but apparently don't), since only Probe knows when the next Tuesday will be.

I can't imagine a suborbital flight without orulex, so anything that could make it more compatible and stable would be welcomed (even if it's not DX9 compatible for now).
:cheers:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Make no mistake, it will still not run with D3D*Client

What exactly is the compatibility problem there? As far as I understand it, it just edits a mesh dynamically... which should work fine in graphics clients as long as you use DEVMESHHANDLE instead of the default MESHHANDLE.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Orulex revival?

Yes please. Plus OGLA development and everything else you almost certainly don't have time for!

But opposite of some here the main reason I don't use the alternate graphics clients is lack of some sort of terrain generation. It really is essential to my Orbiter fun.

I understand (but don't really understand) that Orulex is built on some hack that is impossible to implement with the other clients, but it would be really great if some other hack was found.

I know the next Orbiter will have terrain, but the fact is we had terrain years ago and I don't want to wait for next "Tuesday" to have it again..

Kelly Wright

Reaction score
Orulex revival ? yes please

I use it and it seems to work pretty well in 2010 P1. I have still not made the move to D3D like so many- too many addons I use are not compatible. I do have some small stability issues, like orbiter not shutting down cleanly when Orulex is active. I would love an update-as is.

Keatah

Reaction score
Well I have mixed commentary on this.

PRO: I'd love an update for 2010 and later versions. I used this quite a bit back in the day and the kids loved flying over The Moon's craters and all that. Since the next Orbiter version is supposed to have terrain, many of Orulex' features will be be redundant. Maybe they can be "repurposed" into providing localized high-detail areas or something.

CON: I believe the graphic enhancements offered by Orulex are best integrated in the base code by The Man himself.

Morgan

Reaction score
OLGA is unusable still. MFD such as IMFD dont work, dv4 XR fleet have mfd and display issues.

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
I'm also using DX9 and I'd love to have the terrain back, but since the next core version is going to have it, I guess it'd be kinda redundant and we might as well wait.

On the other hand, who knows how far off that Tuesday is?