OS WARS MEGA THREAD (Now debating proprietary vs. open-source!)

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
So I finally got an android phone. After a decade of torture under symbian tyranny, I expected a non-restrictive, intuitive OS.

So far, I'm not thrilled. I can't send files via blutooth from my symbian phone. Importing contacts from sim only worked after creating a google account (how's that for undocumented feature? was probably just one hell of a weird coincidence). There's a welcome message from an app called timescape that offers me to connect my facebook and twitter accounts. I have neither, so the bloody welcome message won't go away and is permanently clumping up my homescreen.

Again I have no access to root folders and pre-installed programs without hacking the stupid phone via 3rd party software that give my virus scanner the shivers. Seriously, I expected better from android...

Yeah, Google software generally does not grant root access but leaves the 'hack' possible.
I've yet to find any reason I would root though.
What phone? There's 'gotta' be a way to disable the tutorial messages.

And indeed there's a huge difference between one Android phone and the next based on what manufacturers and carriers do to their devices.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
A Windows user could just as easily copy and paste their user folder to an external drive.
A fair point:yes:
But back in my Windows days, I had a "Documents" folder on my desktop, a "My Documents" folder in my user account, a "My Documents" folder directly under the Windows folder...Linux makes it somewhat harder for a dummy like me to create a mess like that:p

When I first got started with Linux, under Gnome 2, one of the first things I noticed was how neatly and elegantly organized it was. A menu for my programs, a menu for my documents, and a menu for my settings. My whole computer was right there in one corner of my screen! The rest of the screen was pretty much eye candy.

I'm not trying to brag or go all fanboy on anybody, but I just fell in :love: with Fedora 9 from the first moments--although I dumped it for Karmic Koala pretty quick:p

I switched to KDE when all that Unity and Gnome 3 nonsense started.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Which says a lot of the quality of Unity or Gnome 3, when somebody switches to KDE... or "Linux Vista", like we used to call it. :lol:

Still, I think Unity isn't a bad window manager, but yes, it needs some work and better configurations.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What phone? There's 'gotta' be a way to disable the tutorial messages.

Xperia play. It's not a tutorial message, it's an app (timescape), but it seems there is no way of dectivating it, and it won't take it's uggly message off my phone as long as I don't register my accounts. I googled it, it's a common problem... the only way around it seems to be to uninstall the frickin' thing, which means rooting the phone first.

First rooting attempt failed, need to find another software. grmblgrmbl.

MattBaker

Reaction score
/me still believes that Vista was a typical Windows OS and not worse than the other three recent ones.

The only problem I really saw (besides of incompatibility with older software but every new OS seems to have that) was a high ressource usage but as someone who does not use notebooks with parts from 1998 while running the latest OS I didn't seen a problem with that.:shrug:

I think the problem isn't the new OS/design of something/actor whatsoever. I think the problem is that we all dislike change. I for example got reminded today how often YouTube changed its design and how it got worse but I surely couldn't handle the old design from a few months back anymore, so the problem is not that it's new and crappy but that it's new.
And so everytime something changes we have to change and change (won't make dislike, change, Obama jokes that's not the basement!) is bad and so everything new is bad.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think FCOS is the best tape-stored real-time operating system ever!

Linguofreak

Reaction score
A fair point:yes:
But back in my Windows days, I had a "Documents" folder on my desktop, a "My Documents" folder in my user account, a "My Documents" folder directly under the Windows folder...Linux makes it somewhat harder for a dummy like me to create a mess like that:p

When I first got started with Linux, under Gnome 2, one of the first things I noticed was how neatly and elegantly organized it was. A menu for my programs, a menu for my documents, and a menu for my settings. My whole computer was right there in one corner of my screen! The rest of the screen was pretty much eye candy.

I'm not trying to brag or go all fanboy on anybody, but I just fell in :love: with Fedora 9 from the first moments--although I dumped it for Karmic Koala pretty quick:p

What I did was to stick with 10.04 and GNOME 2 until support for 10.04 ran out, then upgrade to 12.04 and "switch" to MATE (if continuing to use your old DE under a new name can be considered switching). Transferring my settings over after the upgrade was a bit of a pain in the rear (not to mention having to compile Emerald from source to get it to work at all), and Compiz has been a bit crashy since the upgrade (though it always comes right back up afterward), but I've still got the desktop I fell in love with with GNOME 2.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
After some familirisation with the system, things are starting to look up. Screen controls are several hells worth of unintuitive, but once you get the hang of it the're pretty efficient to use. After all the panic of "why the he'll is it doing that, is the bloody screen broken?"

Google play is also pretty unintrusive, I'm beginning to like it...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Google play is also pretty unintrusive, I'm beginning to like it...

Google knows the first rule of capitalism well:

Always make it as easy as possible for the customer to give you his money.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
For the sake of nostalgia regarding everyone's favorite flamewar thread, here's a thread title recap since its inception back in January 2009:

13th Jan 2009 'PC MEGA Thread(Windows VS Linux VS Mac)'
15th Jan 2009 'PC MEGA Thread(This has no chance of being clean)'
16th Jan 2009 'PC MEGA Thread(This has no chance of being civil)'
16th Jan 2009 'PC MEGA Thread (Every OS for itself)
17th Jan 2009 'PC MEGA Thread (Actually making progress)'
22nd Jan 2009 'PC MEGA Thread (No real facts needed)'
24th Jan 2009 'PC MEGA Thread (Truth is relative)'
29th Jan 2009 'PC MEGA Thread (The OS wars rage on)'
25th Apr 2009 'PC MEGA Thread (Yes it is back!)'
12th Jul 2009 'PC MEGA Thread (Now with extra flame)'
24th Oct 2009 'PC MEGA Thread (Windows 7 now supported)'
18th Nov 2009 'PC MEGA Thread (filesystem war breaks out)'
7th Jan 2010 'PC MEGA Thread (reignited by React OS)'
13th Jan 2010 'PC MEGA Thread (The OS wars escalate)'
19th Mar 2010 'PC MEGA Thread (Laptop dual-boot skirmish breaks out)'
30th Mar 2010 'PC MEGA Thread (full-blown OS wars rage on)'
12th Apr 2010 'PC MEGA Thread (Vista bashing ensues)'
20th Apr 2010 'PC MEGA Thread (My OS can beat up your OS!)'
20th Apr 2010 'PC MEGA Thread (Windows ME back with a vengeance)'
14th Jun 2010 'PC MEGA Thread (The OS wars resume under Windows 7 flag)'
7th Jul 2010 'OS WARS MEGA Thread (Now permanently renamed)'
18th Jun 2010 'OS WARS MEGA Thread (temporary ceasefire in effect)'
9th Oct 2010 'OS WARS MEGA Thread (Resurrected from Ubuntu: Anyone else skipping 10.10?)'
13th Oct 2010 'OS WARS MEGA Thread (reignited from 'What is the worse software bug ever?' thread)'
15th Oct 2010 'OS WARS MEGA THREAD (now reignited from 'How do I use a Linux LiveCD?' thread)'
16th Oct 2010 'OS WARS MEGA THREAD (troll posts will be vaporized by the Probe)'
22nd Oct 2010 'OS WARS MEGA THREAD (Now with 50% extra flame for free!)'
10th Feb 2011 'OS WARS MEGA THREAD (Now with Mac crunchy bits!)'
22nd Feb 2011 'OS WARS MEGA THREAD (The unhackable debate, hacked!)'
16th Apr 2011 'OS WARS MEGA THREAD (Now with EVEN MORE Microsoft bashing!)'
24th Aug 2011 'OS WARS MEGA THREAD (Now featuring Orbiter!)'
25th Aug 2011 'OS WARS MEGA THREAD (Now featuring Orbiter & FSX!)'
28th Oct 2011 'OS WARS MEGA THREAD (Featuring dated files and crunchy bits)'
27th Jul 2012 'OS WARS MEGA THREAD (Yes, folks, it's back!)'
25th Nov 2012 'OS WARS MEGA THREAD (Now featuring Windows 8)'
16th May 2013 'OS WARS MEGA THREAD (Yes, it's back!)'
21st May 2013 'OS WARS MEGA THREAD (now featuring also mobile OSes and WM wars)'

:p

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For the sake of nostalgia regarding everyone's favorite flamewar thread, here's a thread title recap since its inception back in January 2009:

:p

Ceasefire in effect? :leaving:

I probably would have a lot to say about OS topics, but I just cant seem to get into the mood for it. Rather just

:hailprobe:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Google knows the first rule of capitalism well:

Always make it as easy as possible for the customer to give you his money.

Yes, but because of that I was expecting a constant bombardment with advertisement in some way. As it is, it's just there if you need something, and doesn't bother you otherwise, which was a positive surprise. Sure, I needed to create a google account, and for some reason they felt compelled to neccesitate one of their email addresses for that which they create themselves, and is handy as a spam-bait address which I never ever have to look at, and as a plus side I don't get any mails from google in any of the addresses I actually use.
I was really rather suspicious at what would happen when I create the account and start using the market, but it turns out it's no problem at all. The personal information they wanted was also rather negligible, and as opposed to symbian, I can also install apps that don't come from the market without having a hacking marathon.
All in all, I'm really starting to like it. Most of my troubles were related to the fact that I worked on android for the first time, and comming from a Nokia, who suck at touchscreens, it took a while to understand that there's a difference between a slight tap and a hard tap, that the screen recognises multiple points of touch, etc. Once I figured out how to drag and drop I could even get the thing somewhat organised...

The only thing I still have moderate gripes with is that I don't need about 90% of the pre-installed software, and can't uninstall it. Needless to say that a lot of them are memory resident services, but I guess that criticism goes more to Sony Ericsson than to Google.

sitha241

Reaction score
You have good phone.
If you do not want that apps that came with mobile phone go on xda forums and find some other rom..
Cyanogen mod is somewhat the best..
I did that on my sgs + and phone even that he did not get official ics update from samsung it rolls on jelly bean like charm.. :lol:

Android is the best..
I plan for this summer to pick s3 or s4 dependent on how much money do I earn on summer (read, to whoom pc or car dropped dead in my village) :tiphat:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
For the sake of nostalgia regarding everyone's favorite flamewar thread, here's a thread title recap since its inception back in January 2009: :p

The thread titles aren't really a nostalgia point for me, but the thread itself is, considering that the first six or seven pages pushed me over from griping about Microsoft's business practices to actually setting up a Linux dual boot on our then-new (now dead) desktop. I bought my current laptop from System76 that August and have used Linux almost exclusively since.

Screamer7

Reaction score
I've have this annoying issue with Windows 8 that is bother me some time now.
If I run a app or game, like FSX or Orbiter and some other games, in full screen mode and it crash, there is no way to close it.
The only way is to log off and then on again.
If I try to bring up the Task Manager to kill it, it does not work.
The task bar appear at the bottom of the screen as it should, but there is no way to close the crashed program.
As soon as I leave the cursor over the task manager button, the crashed program re-appear.
Any suggestions how to fix this, or is it one of Windows 8 "features"?
I did not had this issue with Windows 7.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
If I run a app or game, like FSX or Orbiter and some other games, in full screen mode and it crash, there is no way to close it.
By the description I assume the crash isn't a simple CTD, but crash with an error message box, which will terminate the process only after the message box was closed, right? Does the message box appear under the full screen program, and that's why you can't close it? Did you try Alt-Tabbing to get to it?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've have this annoying issue with Windows 8 that is bother me some time now.
The only way is to log off and then on again.
If I try to bring up the Task Manager to kill it, it does not work.
The task bar appear at the bottom of the screen as it should, but there is no way to close the crashed program.
As soon as I leave the cursor over the task manager button, the crashed program re-appear.
Any suggestions how to fix this, or is it one of Windows 8 "features"?
I did not had this issue with Windows 7.
With nothing else running, load up the task manager and look around for its settings. Somewhere there should be an option to allow it to stay always on top.

This not being set by default is a bug I filed at least once. I'll have to look it up to find out what the team had said about it at the time, but according to them there was another way to handle the situation.

Screamer7

Reaction score
With nothing else running, load up the task manager and look around for its settings. Somewhere there should be an option to allow it to stay always on top.

This not being set by default is a bug I filed at least once. I'll have to look it up to find out what the team had said about it at the time, but according to them there was another way to handle the situation.

Orb...there is no message box.
The program is just unresponsive.
Alt tabbing does not work, because as soon as I want to close the program it disappear in the back ground.
It appear on the Task Bar, but I can't close it.
Either by "close program or the X on the right hand top of the tab, does not work.

Thanks Hielor.
I think that was the problem.
In my Task Manager under the options tab, the "Always on top" was unchecked and the "minimize on use" was checked.
I checked the "Always on top" tab and unchecked the minimize on use.
Maybe that was the problem.
This "feature" was really a PITA for me!!!!

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This "feature" was really a PITA for me!!!!
I'll try to remember to look it up and see what the team's explanation for this behavior was, next time I'm at work.