General Question Other stars in Orbiter

NomenDubium

Reaction score
Hi.
I've been using Orbiter for a couple of weeks now and I was wondering if there are other stars besides the Sun that are modeled in the program? The old Microsoft Space Simulator had a list of other stars that you could select to travel to (e.g. Proxima Centauri). Does Orbiter have something similar? I can find no reference to any other stars in the program.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
This is not possible in orbiter currently.
There can only be one sun at a time and the further away you move from it, the more the precision of the orbital calculations break down. Up to the point where the program crashes.
But you can use gates to jump between other solarsystems. Meaning, you jump into another system.
Take a look at [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1078"]Msss MFD v4.0[/ame]

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
also, take a look at this thread.

It's my current add-on project with the aim to have a fully accessible procedural galaxy with real stars in Orbiter. Alas I got a bit stalled because I have to completely rewrite the stellar evolution model, for which I have to do a lot of legwork (creating lots of datafiles by hand), with which I am now probably 30% done. I hope to have a demo of the galaxy creator out in, say, 2 months, and the final version of the addon by late summer or early autumn.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Alas I got a bit stalled because I have to completely rewrite the stellar evolution model, for which I have to do a lot of legwork (creating lots of datafiles by hand), with which I am now probably 30% done.
Interesting, what kind of data files are those? I'd expected a probability tables and stellar classes table, nothing big.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'll take this over to my developement thread, since this isn't really the place.