Preferred Pronouns
Sire

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Afterwards, OK? as the cameras move with the RMS, I would need to do some critical work to link it to the animations.
The RSC should be pretty simple, it's like the End Effector camera, but looking in the +Z direction instead of -X. I have attached simulated view from the RSC. It was added along with the OBSS for Return To Flight.

Meanwhile I can fix the position of the elbow camera to match it's location in one of the ICDs.

Attachments

• Sim_RSC_view.jpg
    Sim_RSC_view.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 421

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Aren't tow tethers needed in a spacecraft? I would carry one if I was in space...

Are standard equipment for EVAs.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
From reading the HST-SM ICDs, are 3 static center line attachments enough together with 3 dynamic (can be released from the aft workstation) attachments?

It has 5 major payloads in the bay for that mission:
-ODS
-SLIC
-ORUC
-FSS
-MULE

subtract the ODS and you get 4 payloads. All seem to be fixed payloads, which don't get deployed.

Additionally, we have the portable foot restraint as side wall payload. Already covered by the interface like on page 1.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
From reading the HST-SM ICDs, are 3 static center line attachments enough together with 3 dynamic (can be released from the aft workstation) attachments?

It has 5 major payloads in the bay for that mission:
-ODS
-SLIC
-ORUC
-FSS
-MULE

subtract the ODS and you get 4 payloads. All seem to be fixed payloads, which don't get deployed.

Additionally, we have the portable foot restraint as side wall payload. Already covered by the interface like on page 1.
Correct. SLIC, ORUC, FSS and MULE are all payload carriers.

SLIC = Super-Lightweight Interchangeable Carrier. Holds new HST batteries and new WFC.
ORUC = Orbital Replacement Unit Carrier.
FSS = Flight Support System, actual carrier for HST. It is used to rotate and pivot HST as required during the EVAs.
MULE = Multi-Use Lightweight Equipment Carrier.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So, should it be possible to unwire the dynamic centerline payload attachments, so they can't be accidentally deployed?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So, should it be possible to unwire the dynamic centerline payload attachments, so they can't be accidentally deployed?
I guess so. But really, all payloads can be deployed. The CAIB actual requested a analysis from NASA if the heatload on Columbia could have been decreased enough to allow a safe entry.

It went as far as dumping SpaceHAB, FREESTAR and the forward radiator panels overboard!

Here's the presentation: http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/9057main_EntryOptionsFinal.pdf

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I guess so. But really, all payloads can be deployed. The CAIB actual requested a analysis from NASA if the heatload on Columbia could have been decreased enough to allow a safe entry.

It went as far as dumping SpaceHAB, FREESTAR and the forward radiator panels overboard!

Here's the presentation: http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/9057main_EntryOptionsFinal.pdf

The forward radiators can be dumped? Coooool! I want that!

EDIT: The jettison scenarios used an EVA for unlatching the payloads. So they had not been jettisoned by panel command.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The forward radiators can be dumped? Coooool! I want that!
Actually I'm not sure if it was the FWD pair or not. Could also have been the aft pairs as the SCOM mentions them as being removeable and installed as "mission kits".

But anyway, it would have been very interesting to see the rad panels go. Speaking of that, I also think they cosidered dumping the KU antenna aswell as it is just dead weight for entry.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually I'm not sure if it was the FWD pair or not. Could also have been the aft pairs as the SCOM mentions them as being removeable and installed as "mission kits".

But anyway, it would have been very interesting to see the rad panels go. Speaking of that, I also think they cosidered dumping the KU antenna aswell as it is just dead weight for entry.

The PDF even mentions ripping the unneeded LRUs out of the avionic bays in the mid-deck. No mention on the Ku-Band deployed assembly, but you can bet on it. Very likely also the forward RCS RJDUs

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Any code bent yet on getting this implemented?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Any code bent yet on getting this implemented?

Just the code for creating the attachment points in the right order. Not even moving attachment points yet.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just the code for creating the attachment points in the right order. Not even moving attachment points yet.
Should I check in the OBSS and it's MPMs? The OBSS has the scaled down grapple fixtures.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Should I check in the OBSS and it's MPMs? The OBSS has the scaled down grapple fixtures.

How did we want to include the OBSS and it's MPMs btw. I know we have code for it, but I don't remember the specs. Can you start a task thread with the specifications for our OBSS simulation, if you remember them? :blush:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How did we want to include the OBSS and it's MPMs btw. I know we have code for it, but I don't remember the specs. Can you start a task thread with the specifications for our OBSS simulation, if you remember them? :blush:
Right now I have implemented a quick and dirty attachment point(obss_attach) that the Spacecraft3 MPMs are attached to. The OBSS itself is attached to the MPMs.

I was thinking about that we made the MPMs internal, like the RMS and ODS with a line like OBSS which would create the MPMs.

The attachment point would be tied to the MPM animation which is controlled by panel A8L by placing the RMS Select switch to Starboard. Then the MPMs are controlled exactly like the RMS MPMs on the port side are.

Attachment/Detachment of the OBSS would be controlled by the Starboard RMS Retention Latches. When the attachment criteria is met the Ready To Latch talkbacks would switch to grey, otherwise they would indicate barberpole.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Right now I have implemented a quick and dirty attachment point(obss_attach) that the Spacecraft3 MPMs are attached to. The OBSS itself is attached to the MPMs.

I was thinking about that we made the MPMs internal, like the RMS and ODS with a line like OBSS which would create the MPMs.

The attachment point would be tied to the MPM animation which is controlled by panel A8L by placing the RMS Select switch to Starboard. Then the MPMs are controlled exactly like the RMS MPMs on the port side are.

Attachment/Detachment of the OBSS would be controlled by the Starboard RMS Retention Latches. When the attachment criteria is met the Ready To Latch talkbacks would switch to grey, otherwise they would indicate barberpole.

Okay, makes sense. We should include it like that, maybe controlled over the RMS subsystem.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
OK, checked in the OBSS and MPMs.