Planetes - Planets

Unstung

Reaction score
Since a handful of members here appear to appreciate Japanese things a wee bit, I have a recommendation. Planetes (Greek word for planets, πλάνητες – wanderers) is a hard science fiction anime and manga. The cartoon was produced by Sunrise, and they make good :censored: as those interested should know. I've watched the anime and it quickly became my potentially favorite Japanese cartoon (that or Cowboy Bebop, another show produced by Sunrise). Planetes isn't well-known yet related to the interests of people on this forum which is why I am advertising promoting letting the members know about it so they can watch it if interested.

After space debris collided with the window of a commercial flight and killed many of its passengers, Debris Sections were created, tasked with collecting and disposing the harmful, numerous space junk. The cartoon revolves around a crew of debris collectors. The crew tends to get caught up in major events, from planning of the first manned mission to Jupiter to a harmful result of "premature" space development. Unfortunately, the conclusion of the issue is never shown. It becomes irrelevant although it's pretty important. (I'm trying to put that event in the most vague terms possible.)

Realism:
Honestly, the only inaccurate part of the show I remember is how lunar days appear to be 24 hours long with people living on the moon being awake during the lunar day and asleep at night. There are some other minor problems, but I cannot even recall them. The lunar day was the only significant one to me. Of course, collecting debris one by one using a manned vessel requires an impractical amount of propellant, but it's not impossible. The fact that the crew has to go on EVA often adds to the drama. Radiation sickness becomes a significant issue in the show due to the fact that people live in space for very extended periods of time, on the moon or in a space station. The space station designs are quite impressive, with a cylinder running down the center of the object and rotating toruses around the center providing artificial gravity. Lunar gravity is accurate and the delay of communications between Earth is shown. Last but not least, no sound is used in space ever. Only music, radio chatter, or some narration.

I feel the trailer doesn't do the show justice. At least it has this familiar piece. However, the intro is interesting which shows spaceflight achievements throughout the 20th century.

Planetes_manga_vol_1.jpg

I've written a review for the anime that may help explain it. The review doesn't really contain spoilers:

Although the drama may unfold slowly in the first episodes with consistent lighthearted moments, I was drawn in to this show because of its setting, lack of unnecessary action, and superb realism. Even its fictional 2070s society is plausible, with some manned exploration of Mars and a base on the moon. It has the best character development in any anime that I am familiar with. Everybody has believable motives and their decisions are relevant at some point, if not throughout the show. The next sentence may explain the thing I was trying to be vague about earlier, so it's a spoiler. Many philosophically contemplate the necessity of developing space which is only beneficial to modernized countries. End of spoiler. The female protagonist is initially extremely naive and makes the most pure decisions, but everyone lies in a gray area. After certain events unfold, the characters' relations with others change and their inward feelings. Minor characters illustrate a portion of society. The show offers at least some of everything - from making the viewer have empathy to combat towards the end. It may often be a feel-good cartoon, but the lightheartedness isn't intrusive along with the love theme that develops throughout the 26 episodes.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Planetes isn't well-known
Interesting.
I thought it was well known among hard sci-fi and space sim people. :)

And it's a great cartoon.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting.

Second that! Bought the complete DVD box some time ago and I like it a lot.
I don't know what (or who) pushed my interest to that, but I thank him/her :thumbup:

/Kuddel

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Second that! Bought the complete DVD box some time ago and I like it a lot.
I don't know what (or who) pushed my interest to that, but I thank him/her :thumbup:

/Kuddel

Same here, though I am usually no big Anime fan. :rofl:But the German sync is terrible.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Planetes is fantastic, I recommend it to everyone.

And subs over dubs.

And Cowboy Bebop is awesome as well.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are inaccuracies, especially in the anime. They show a Gemini capsule with a caption about Project Mercury in the anime intro, and early in the manga (and maybe the anime) Hachi kicks a piece of junk away from himself, and it starts 'reentering' 20m away from him with a great big plasma plume while he's still not even experiencing drag, etc.

But hey, if the inaccuracies are that specific, it tells you something about the general accuracy throughout the series, eh? :)

It's one of my favourite anime/manga series, along with Cowboy Bebop like you.

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I found out about planates... right here, it looks cool, i'm gonna watch it! thanks for the recommendation 'unstung'

'2001 nights' is my favourite sci fi manga. the art is astoundingly good and the stories are proper mind expanding, soul searching sci-fi. They made some slightly lame movies recently which was a bit disappointing.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Same here, though I am usually no big Anime fan. :rofl:But the German sync is terrible.
Back then I could only get it from the US...seems that I am lucky to only have the choice between japanese and english :thumbup:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But the German sync is terrible.

It always is. I haven't seen a single Anime (series) where the german sync would have been even slightly bearable. Often the english isn't much better. I switched to the general habit of watching anything Japanese in the original language with dubs (actually, I have a strong tendency to do this for any film, but the Japanese especially seem to suck superbly at localisation).

I found out about the series a looong time ago, when I found the first two Mangas in a rummage box at a comic store, along with all three 2001 nights. That was quite a lucky day, that...

I've seen the anime, and enjoyed it a lot. Differences to the Manga are in some points significant, but overall I think the anime has a better consistency, and development of most characters is just simply better (plus, it doesn't have baron... huge plus that, in my opinion...). It was clear that there wasn't much advance worldbuilding in the manga, and that the whole setting pretty much evolved along with the writing, which can be a bit awkward at times, although it gets better. The Arc also extends significantly beyond the anime.

Anyone interested in the Manga can read the whole thing on Manga Fox, by the way (legally, for all I can tell).

Unstung

Reaction score
Interesting.

I'm surprised a decent number of people are aware of the show. I think I've found it when looking for something to watch a few months ago, searching through acclaimed animes. Many animes don't interest me and are definitely for a young audience or too "shonen", but there are cartoons that can be watched by an older viewers. I find few American cartoons nowadays, if any, can appeal to an older audience like Batman: The Animated Series (ironically it was animated in Japan). However, there are cartoon shows like Family Guy which are targeted specifically at older viewers.

The Area 88 OVA is my third favorite anime after Cowboy Bebop and Planetes and is arguably pretty mature.

I usually watch the dub version of animes unless it's really terrible. I started watching the subtitled version of Planetes but I was missing scenery by reading subtitles, so I've watched the entire dub, which is at least adequate.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I'm usually not a big fan of anime, but Area 88's various incarnations managed to keep me interested, especially with many of the relatively obscure pre and post-Vietnam fighters being showcased. Planetes is a good series as well.

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i want to try and model a 'toybox' with the aim of making one for orbiter, i've found a couple of decent pictures online but i was looking for that rather nice blueprint you see in the intro sequence. anyone know where i find find a decent quality jpg of this?
it looks kinda different in the tv series than it does in the manga. I'm gonna try make the tv version

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
I think it was introduced to me here, it have been one of my favorites ever since, although in the terms of space-related animes/manga, Passport Blue easily exceed this one.