News Possible Cassette tape comeback.

Washingtonian

Military Brat
Reaction score
Ever heard of a 120 minutes tape?

It has usually better sound quality due to no degradation. Being an analogue medium, the tape beats the crap out of the CD where sampling rate is concerned, on the virtue of not needing a sampling rate by being analogue. That's what analogue is all about.

So can a tape.

Now don't get me wrong, I'll take a CD over a tape any day, but that's mostly got to do with matters of conveiniance. No degradation, and no winding back and forth to find a certain title. However, most of the points you wrote there are just not true, and I felt compelled to correct them.

It sure is, I was mostly just teasing.

Now don't get me wrong. I like the Compact Cassette, its smaller compared to a normal VHS tape, and it doesn't take up a lot of space like a CD cover, CD, and a vinyl disc and sleeve.

I did mention that I do know that the tape was used other than music, I mentioned that tapes were often used as a medium for the Commodore 64, and I also believe that you could use it on the ZX Spectrum (I'm not really good with knowing old consoles).

But, I also have to bring up that if the tape can be degraded if its copy to another Compact Cassette. It suffers from generation loss just like VHS does. It loses quality, fidelity into gibberish things.

I do respect your opinion though, and at least I did basic research so I didn't look like an uneducated person.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I did mention that I do know that the tape was used other than music, I mentioned that tapes were often used as a medium for the Commodore 64, and I also believe that you could use it on the ZX Spectrum (I'm not really good with knowing old consoles).

Indeed you did. It's a bit strange to then go on to point out that one of the advantages of a CD is that it can be used for other purposes than listening music, though...

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I mentioned that tapes were often used as a medium for the Commodore 64, and I also believe that you could use it on the ZX Spectrum (I'm not really good with knowing old consoles).

Consoles? CONSOLES? Sacrilegium florilegium! Those were HOME COMPUTERS!!!:lol:

Yes, the Spectrum also used cassette as storage, but you could use any cassette tape recorder instead of a specialized one like the Datassette, because it had an audio in/out interface. You had to do a lot of trial and error in order to get the correct volume, however.
Then the Spectrum got Microdrives...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why are you people bringing the CD into this discussion like it's the wonder of modern technology?

While the CD and DVD still have some years to live, it's not too difficult imagining their extinction. Frankly I'm surprised as it is that USB flash sticks haven't wiped them both out.

I can't even remember when was the last time I dragged a CD player anywhere. I listen to my music on from my phone.

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I'd like to see a comeback for floppy discs

MattBaker

Reaction score
Yeah it was fun to have dozens of them for all your stuff while now it's in less than a few cubic centimeters.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
When I as a ladd... it was all analague around here...

N.

Last edited:

Washingtonian

Military Brat
Reaction score
Why are you people bringing the CD into this discussion like it's the wonder of modern technology?

While the CD and DVD still have some years to live, it's not too difficult imagining their extinction. Frankly I'm surprised as it is that USB flash sticks haven't wiped them both out.

I can't even remember when was the last time I dragged a CD player anywhere. I listen to my music on from my phone.

Because CDs is pretty much a wonder. Did you even know that the CDs were invented in the late 70s? A lot of people were skeptical before it was released, since they didn't really understand that there could be music on a digital medium.

Also, I'm going to say that the CD-R and CD-RW's releases made the CD more popular since you could record stuff (and much more since the computer age; also true that the Compact Cassettes can also be able to record music, but no data). However, CDs weren't popular in the early 80s. It only got its heyday once record labels start releasing more of their music artist's albums on CDs than vinyl disc and the Compact Cassette.

Also, say if I'm wrong, but for some reason, I think that listening to a CD has better sound quality than mp3s. Feel free to correct me. But, there is also a limit on how high the quality of mp3s can be. The highest is 320 kbps and that takes up a lot of hard space, about 10 MB for 1 song for about 4 minutes long. Its larger depending on how long the song is.

Besides, I don't like to paying mp3s on iTunes, they are so compressed that it sounds lower than the actual CD. Also CDs were used for video for one point but that quickly got thrown out once DVD started picking up success.

But, what I'm wondering is why the Super Audio CD is not replacing the CD, because the Super Audio CD has a better sampling rate than CDs. I believe that the SACD is 192 kbps sampling rate. And it was intended to be the successor to the CDs, but I guess that they still prefer old CDs.

Enough ranting. That's just what I think. I also have a small collection of Compact Cassettes left, but I don't have a player for them. :(

Also, there might be a few inaccuracies.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
However, CDs weren't popular in the early 80s.

Which explains itself pretty well if you look at the price of a CD player during that time. As always, it took the labels some catching up to do with technology, plus you needed a while for the tachnology to take hold before you could really start to mass-produce stuff. That was the case somewhen during the mid-90, when CD players actually became affordable, not just available.

Also, say if I'm wrong, but for some reason, I think that listening to a CD has better sound quality than mp3s.

MP3 is destructive data compression (i.e. you will not be able to restore the original data from an MP3), so the quality is by definition worse than the original, which usually is a CD. Wheather the difference is audible to a mortal man or not very much depends on how much you compress them, though.

If your original is better than CD quality, however, (say, 24 bit/96 kHz to take a common recording resolution, although professional equipment nowadays can again record much higher than that), it is not difficult to make an MP3 that has better quality than the .wav (.wav is nothing else than sound's .BMP: All the data is stored without any optimisation or compression whatsoever) that would go on the CD, while still taking up less space.

Feel free to correct me. But, there is also a limit on how high the quality of mp3s can be.

That's encoded bits per second, not original bits per second. A CD has 706.5 kbps unencoded, which is not that much more if you consider how much of that data you can't actually hear.
Sure, a bat would protest most heavily at the loss of quality, but thankfully our ears are rather limited...

I believe that the SACD is 192 kbps sampling rate.

kbps is not sampling rate, it's the product of sampling rate times bit-depth, and 192 would be rather abysmal. As far as I can see it has 2822.4 kbps. The reason it never caught on is that it needed new equipment, which was more expensive and would have had to find a broader customer base to become affordable. The reason it didn't find a broader customer base is because the storage medium is only the first link in the audio quality chain. After that comes the Amp and the speakers. And to make that audio quality actually audible, you need really good speakers, and those cost a lot more money still. I.E. people would have to invest in very expensive speakers, a good amplifier and an expensive player to get a quality advantage most of them aren't able to hear.

The SACD did find some fans among connaisseurs of orchestral music, because they usually already have the expensive speakers and amplifiers, but beyond that there was just no demand for a little more quality at a high price.

Besides, I don't like to paying mp3s on iTunes, they are so compressed that it sounds lower than the actual CD.

Yes. That's the evil left from the olden days, where one gigabyte was the pinnacle of portable memory storage, and people were totally freaked out by the possibility of putting 20 albums in that space instead of one, and screw the quality, because those cheap headphones on my player sound crappy anyways. We must not forget that MP3 started its career as a portable format, and there's rarely people that have earphones on their MP3 players that cost in excess of 50 bucks. Which means, most of the time, they are crap anyways. So if you encode MP3s in a decent quality nowadays, you get people complaingin that it's too big and they might as well put the CD directly on their player or why it takes so long to download. It's getting better with our abbundance of storage space and bandwith, but I guess it'll still be some time until we get decently encoded MP3s in the stores. More bandwith in this case also means lower profit margins, after all, and labels still would rather sell CDs than MP3s.

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I still buy CDs. Reason being, a physical disk is less ephemeral than a file, and since the record companies are trying to move to a system whereby we are merely renters of music rather than buyers, they would like us all to use Kindle-style equipment in which they can delete your files without your permission and make you pay for them every time you want to listen again.

It's also the reason I believe in owning real paper books, at least the ones you really value.

Call me paranoid, but I grew up in an age of dystopian literature following an age of totalitarianism, and digital control of everything you read, watch, or listen to is a totalitarian's dream. "We are the priests of the Temples of Syrinx..."

I still don't really like cassettes though.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
The books, tapes and CDs seem real, but in actuality they are simply an illusion generated in your mind by the Matrix.

Thus digital is the true analog, because our core existence is digital, and the "analog" format is really just a distortion procedure.

Last edited:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I still have my C64 and datasette drive.

Graham2001

Reaction score
I still buy CDs. Reason being, a physical disk is less ephemeral than a file...

Same here, but it's getting harder to replace broken cases, for some reason everyone around where I live seems to have stopped stocking 'standard' CD/DVD jewel cases, all I can find are slimline cases.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Purple is the new black.

And yellow is the new green. At least, according to Thaal Sinestro.
I'm afraid I just blue myself.

I still buy CDs. Reason being, a physical disk is less ephemeral than a file
Partly why I buy vinyls. When the world is invaded by aliens and we are forced to work the salt mines, I can spin a record by hand and still get my music. Take that, alien overlords!

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm afraid I just blue myself.

Oh, come on, don't be sad, Andorians are welcome too.

I can spin a record by hand and still get my music. Take that, alien overlords!

Yes, and by the way with solid memory how can you sing "you spin me right round baby right round, like a record baby right round round round."

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
tapes where good while they were the only option but i wasn't that sad to see them go, digital media is definately better for portable music.
i was speaking to some knatty young hipster who was making a mixtape for someone which i thought was nice; mixtapes are the best thing about tape media and became a bit of an artform in itself. it just isn't quite the same having a media player!
i miss recording on a 4-track too, even though its far easier on a computer i definately got a fatter warmer, sound on my trusty tascam!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, mix tapes were fun and for some reason it never really picked up on mp3s, although burning mix CDs was in for a little while.

BTW, I still have my Timex-Sinclair 1000 computer and all the software cassettes. The computer works but I have no idea what shape the tapes are in after all these years. I'm not hopeful.