New Release Project Mercury X for Orbiter 2016

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The original Project Mercury textures gives this new add-on a retro Orbiter look:

9b511fca500e099d4d47dc6ef4bd9f101ebd10a1.png

If you notice the Atlas in the background, there's a major glitch in the most recent version of Project Mercury for Orbiter 2016, at capsule separation the booster stage respawns on the base of the Atlas.

Yes, the original textures can be used.
Nothing wrong there, it's a mater of preference.

Probably just the wrong mesh being loaded when the Atlas is spawned :thumbup:
(wouldn't call it major, since it doesn't affect gameplay or causes a CTD )

Thank you!

The reason for the booster appearing, is that the capsule is actively deleting any spent stages/parts more than 200 km away. Thus the booster is deleted before capsule separation.
And when the Atlas core is created, it renders the booster if no booster stage is detected in the simulation. (such as for an abort before booster sep)

I will redo this to a more failsafe method. But, yeah, it doesn't bother me enough to make a new update, so it will be fixed in the next release. :lol:

PS: and it hasn't happened in earlier releases, because I've constantly adjusted the deletion limit and conditions all the time. And first now the booster/core is affected

Last edited:

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
The new update is awesome, and that Mercury Scout is really nifty, thank you!

MarsGlider

Reaction score
yeah this mod has done way more than I thought :rofl: though I do think a 3D cockpit would be nice, but that's just a request :thumbup:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
asbjos is running the show, but I can tell that there are a few things being worked on.

Cockpit is one of them but not necessarily 3D...
And not necessarily a cockpit... Think more about instruments ;)

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
yeah this mod has done way more than I thought :rofl: though I do think a 3D cockpit would be nice, but that's just a request :thumbup:

Thank you! Yes, it has evolved a lot, and encompasses a lot, to such an extent that I'm even considering splitting it into several addons (take for example LC5 and LC14, which are both compatible with any vessel that has an attachment point, and supports any vessel at all if there is no hold-down configured).

About that 3D cockpit, I've already commented on it at the end of this post: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=603525&postcount=23
Summary: I'm not able to create meshes, so I ask anyone in the community that are able and willing to do it for me, so that I can implement it.
I also really want a 3D cockpit!

As a temporary solution, I'm currently making a modest 2D panel, as 4throck mentioned. Nothing fancy, and not even near what was for the old addon, but should be enough for now.

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2020-05-08 22.41.20.jpg
    Skjermbilde 2020-05-08 22.41.20.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 51

MarsGlider

Reaction score
I like it too, you can kind of see how it resembles the actual cockpit of mercury.

Michkov

Reaction score
It's very similar to the original Project Mercury's "cockpit" back in the day. That worked quite well back in the day. I'd put some texture on the backgrounds though. Gives it a bit more realistic look, less comic book.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's very similar to the original Project Mercury's "cockpit" back in the day. That worked quite well back in the day. I'd put some texture on the backgrounds though. Gives it a bit more realistic look, less comic book.

The original cockpit walls were quite chaotic: https://airandspace.si.edu/multimedia-gallery/friendship7jpg

Do you have any ideas for what the "ambient" texture could be?

In my opinion, using both cartoon clean look + photo-realistic texture would not look too good. But please give me ideas!

MarsGlider

Reaction score
What I would do is make it look like the cartoon clean look first to get it out then try to make a realistic texture one for a later version but hey do whatever. :thumbup:

Michkov

Reaction score
Slight missunderstanding, calling all three Project Mercury may have not been a great idea :), I meant the original Mercury for orbiter.

That looked like this
mercury.jpg

Some spotlights etc, in my mind it had some grain texture too but it's been ages since it worked so I'll put it down to my faulty memory.

Last edited:

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I like that sky blue and teal, kind of Art Deco-ish!

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
New release, version 2.0!

As previously teased, this release includes a 2D cockpit panel, which should make the addon a bit more immersive. See the altitude rise, the fuel go down, indicators light up, etc. The panel elements are modeled after the actual Friendship 7 (MA-6) cockpit.
See "Doc\Addons\Project Mercury X\Project Mercury X panel guide.pdf" for quick introduction and explanation.
Panel is sadly still not available in Orbiter2010. It causes a CTD, and I haven't found a solution, so it's disabled.

As a bonus, a maneuvering concept stage is included, offering translational capabilities to the capsule. See "Scenarios\Project Mercury\Hypothetical missions\Manouvering in orbit" folder for scenarios and description.
A real fun concept, and a challenge. You can stationkeep with the spent Atlas, change orbit, rendezvous with an orbital target, aim for a landing point, etc.
Meshes by 4throck. Thank you to orbinaut Star Voyager for the inspirational PDF.

Download from Orbithangar, as usual.

MarsGlider

Reaction score
Woohoo congrats on releasing the 2D panel! :cheers: I like the bonus Manouvering unit as well, been having fun with it

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Wow, thank you for the shoutout! Couple of minor things:

picture.php

Looks like the attachment for the adapter brings it a bit further up on the spacecraft...

picture.php

...and the adapter rings spawn from the middle of the adapter only upon adapter jettison.

Again, these are minor details as this ship handles really nicely! Makes you wonder what could've been...

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I know, I’m just thinking if they stuck with Mercury instead of building it out into Gemini.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the fantastic addon!
I've found some code that doesn't seem to be right:

/Orbitersdk/samples/ProjectMercuryX/MercuryAtlas/MercuryAtlas.cpp:2852
Code:
			if (abs(currentAngAcc.x) < 0.75 * RAD && currentAngRate.x > pitchRate + 0.0005)
			{
				SetControlSurfaceLevel(AIRCTRL_ELEVATOR, -(currentAngRate.x * DEG * currentAngRate.x * DEG * ampFactor + ampAdder));
			}
			else if ([COLOR="Red"]abs(currentAngAcc.x < 0.75)[/COLOR] * RAD && currentAngRate.x < pitchRate - 0.0005)
			{
				SetControlSurfaceLevel(AIRCTRL_ELEVATOR, (currentAngRate.x * DEG * currentAngRate.x * DEG * ampFactor + ampAdder));
			}
			else
			{
				SetControlSurfaceLevel(AIRCTRL_ELEVATOR, 0.0);
			}
That closing bracket seems obviously wrong (I think it should be placed as 3 lines above in the first if)

So more like:
Code:
			if (abs(currentAngAcc.x) < 0.75 * RAD && currentAngRate.x > pitchRate + 0.0005)
			{
				SetControlSurfaceLevel(AIRCTRL_ELEVATOR, -(currentAngRate.x * DEG * currentAngRate.x * DEG * ampFactor + ampAdder));
			}
			else if ([COLOR="Green"]abs(currentAngAcc.x) < 0.75[/COLOR] * RAD && currentAngRate.x < pitchRate - 0.0005)
			{
				SetControlSurfaceLevel(AIRCTRL_ELEVATOR, (currentAngRate.x * DEG * currentAngRate.x * DEG * ampFactor + ampAdder));
			}
			else
			{
				SetControlSurfaceLevel(AIRCTRL_ELEVATOR, 0.0);
			}

/Kuddel