Project project sorpendarin- redesigned

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
Sorpenderin, I suggest you first draw your ship on paper, so you know how it looks while you're modelling it.

It'll take a bit of practice for you to learn the 3D modelling program and it will take you weeks or even months of work just to finish the ship. And I don't mean any disrespect here, but your first attempt at making the ship probably won't look good either - don't worry, I haven't see any good first attempts yet ;)

I know you're 9 years old, but I won't shield you from the challenges of making addons. It takes a lot of practice, patience, talent, skill and knowledge. I know from experience. I'm currently involved in a project and when I started, I knew nothing about it - when I look back now, my early attempts at it were silly and stupid.

Also, be prepared that some people won't react well to your addons. I'm generally among the people who react very harshly. Don't let such criticism put you off. Learn from it and from your mistakes, become stronger and better and you'll succeed.

Good luck ;)

thanks for the tips. i have drawn the ship on paper many times and have figured out the basic features it has. today i will probebly start the ship and in a few months start my first system that wont be of planets,but of galaxys defined as planets.

---------- Post added 03-22-12 at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-21-12 at 07:36 PM ----------

i will start today instead because yesterday i was doing something else in blender. now
i am wondering if it is possible to create an illusion to make it seem that the stars arent orbiting anything to make the experiance more realistic

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
i am wondering if it is possible to create an illusion to make it seem that the stars arent orbiting anything to make the experiance more realistic

I don't understand what you mean? Stars in most galaxies (as I understand it) orbit the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean? Stars in most galaxies (as I understand it) orbit the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy.

Well, the galaxy is orbiting, yes, but the actual path of individual stars is more determined by local gravity wells than by orbital parameters relative to the center. Otherwise we wouldn't those nice spirals...

Relatively simple, if you make the "star" at the center have negligible mass, you can slow the orbital velocity down to almost zero. I do not know if setting the stars mass to zero will work (might mess with some of the math in orbiter in unexpected ways), but it might be worth a try.

In any case, you'll have trouble with lighting.

Sorpenderin

Reaction score

i know that but in the mini seeds only simulate 100 stars of a galaxy, not the whole thing at once. but they will be configured as planets in orbiter that orbit an invisable sun. so what i meen is to make an ilussion to make it look like the stars are moving towered the ege of the orbiter universe insted of orbiting the invisable sun

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

In any case, you'll have trouble with lighting.

i dont care about lighting

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you want to be able to see anyhing, you probably should.

Nah, the global lightsource in Orbiter is fixed in both position and magnitude. Indeed, there isn't even a dropoff (otherwise you wouldn't see much at Pluto), so you really dn't have to worry about it just to see things.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
The problem with lighting is that Orbiter wasn't made to have more than one star. Orbiter was made just for our Sun.

This is no problem, because all the light in our solar system comes from the Sun. Orbiter makes the part of the planet closest to the Sun be in light, and the other part in darkness.

You probably know that you can only put one 'star' in a scenario. If you want to have others, you can make them planets. This is what you want to do.

Orbiter, however, will not think that these are stars. They won't shine, just like planets. All the light will come from the 'star' in the middle. Which is bad, because it won't look good or realistic at all.

--------------------

Edit:
Indeed, there isn't even a dropoff (otherwise you wouldn't see much at Pluto)

Shouldn't you actually be able to see something, even if you're that far away? I mean, on Earth you can see (a bit) when it's night and you don't have any lamp or something, assuming the sky is clear and there's the Moon up there. I'm just guessing now, but I suppose the Sun would look brighter from Pluto than the Moon from the Earth.

Well, maybe I should stop typing when I have no idea what I'm saying...

Last edited:

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
The problem with lighting is that Orbiter wasn't made to have more than one star. Orbiter was made just for our Sun.

This is no problem, because all the light in our solar system comes from the Sun. Orbiter makes the part of the planet closest to the Sun be in light, and the other part in darkness.

You probably know that you can only put one 'star' in a scenario. If you want to have others, you can make them planets. This is what you want to do.

Orbiter, however, will not think that these are stars. They won't shine, just like planets. All the light will come from the 'star' in the middle. Which is bad, because it won't look good or realistic at all.

--------------------

Edit:

Shouldn't you actually be able to see something, even if you're that far away? I mean, on Earth you can see (a bit) when it's night and you don't have any lamp or something, assuming the sky is clear and there's the Moon up there. I'm just guessing now, but I suppose the Sun would look brighter from Pluto than the Moon from the Earth.

Well, maybe I should stop typing when I have no idea what I'm saying...

could i solve the darknes problem by replacing the planet textures with exuast textures?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm just guessing now, but I suppose the Sun would look brighter from Pluto than the Moon from the Earth.

Nope. Not by far. you're forgetting the inverse square law.

could i solve the darknes problem by replacing the planet textures with exuast textures?

You think out of the box, I have to give you that. But no, such a replacement isn't possible.

What would be possible though is making a full-area nightlight texture, so even the side turned away from the sun would be well visible. It won't emit any light (i.e. your ship will still be in shadow when behind it), but at least it won't look as it would be a star shining only on one side...

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
Nope. Not by far. you're forgetting the inverse square law.

You think out of the box, I have to give you that. But no, such a replacement isn't possible.

What would be possible though is making a full-area nightlight texture, so even the side turned away from the sun would be well visible. It won't emit any light (i.e. your ship will still be in shadow when behind it), but at least it won't look as it would be a star shining only on one side...

thats great! thanks for all your help,jedidia:thumbup::thumbup:

---------- Post added 03-23-12 at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-22-12 at 10:46 PM ----------

i will work more on the ship later. i was just wondering if there is anyone who needs or wants intersteller or intergalactic travel. if knowon would like this i might just make it for my computer but if anyone thinks this should be realesed i will realese it

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
things you would like to see in my sorpendarin

my sorpendarin project is just begining and when its done it will try to simulate the intire universe in orbiter. what galaxys or star systems would you like to see in this? please post a comment

Last edited:

Hartmann

Reaction score
Nah, the global lightsource in Orbiter is fixed in both position and magnitude. Indeed, there isn't even a dropoff (otherwise you wouldn't see much at Pluto), so you really dn't have to worry about it just to see things.

True

I was surprised when i started a scenario in Makemake, a minor planet in the kuiper belt and the lighting was like in the earth moon, perhaps too bright to be realistic. But the sun was only one star more in the background.

At such distance the sun must be visible like a brilliant star like Sirius, Vega and others and the light reduced.

It could be an interestigng thing to be fixed in orbiter, but could need work with graphics clients like DX and OGL .

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
What about Spica or Betelgeuse?