Project project sorpendarin- redesigned

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Betelgeuse?

Could be a bit boring, there shouldn't be any planets around that star. If there are, we got our formation theories even more backwards than we currently think we do... :lol:

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
Could be a bit boring, there shouldn't be any planets around that star. If there are, we got our formation theories even more backwards than we currently think we do... :lol:

but who said all stars had to have planets? if this is going to simulate the whole universe one of the nearest stars shouldent be left out. it would be boring to find a star you like and have it have it just be a plain star

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
ive thout about adding betelgeuse but never spica. to be onest i dont know what spica is

Spica (α Vir, α Virginis, Alpha Virginis) is the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brightest_star"]brightest star[/ame] in the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constellation"]constellation[/ame] Virgo, and the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_brightest_stars"]15th brightest star[/ame] in the nighttime sky. It is 260 [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_year"]light years[/ame] distant from [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth"]Earth[/ame]. A [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_giant"]blue giant[/ame], it is a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_star"]variable[/ame] of the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_Cephei_variable"]Beta Cephei type[/ame].

Are you going to write some code to generate the star systems automatically?

Personally I'd concentrate on stars 10l.y. from Earth as thats the practical range of a non-FTL interstellar probe.

Last edited:

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
Spica (α Vir, α Virginis, Alpha Virginis) is the brightest star in the constellation Virgo, and the 15th brightest star in the nighttime sky. It is 260 light years distant from Earth. A blue giant, it is a variable of the Beta Cephei type.

Are you going to write some code to generate the star systems automatically?

Personally I'd concentrate on stars 10l.y. from Earth as thats the practical range of a non-FTL interstellar probe.

but fusion ramjets were suposed to be able to reach the ege of the visable universe within a human liftime,so 10 lys would be to small

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
but fusion ramjets were suposed to be able to reach the ege of the visable universe within a human liftime,so 10 lys would be to small

How? The edge of the visible universe is 14 BILLION light years away. A fusion ramjet can do 15-25% lightspeed.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
some of those are planned but i think if im makeing the whole universe i better include all of them

I'm not sure, but there are probably publicly available star and planet catalogs on the net. You could use them as a reference to build your galaxy.

However, you'll quickly run into a problem. Our galaxy alone consists of some 200 billion stars and on average we can expect one planet for each star (most stars don't have planets, but a star that has planets has more than one). You can't make that many stars and planets by hand. You'll need to write a program to do it, but even your computer will take months to generate the galaxy...

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I'm not sure, but there are probably publicly available star and planet catalogs on the net. You could use them as a reference to build your galaxy.

I think there are and there are things like Celestia.

However, you'll quickly run into a problem. Our galaxy alone consists of some 200 billion stars and on average we can expect one planet for each star (most stars don't have planets, but a star that has planets has more than one).

And depending on level of accurary things like the existing extra-solar planet list should be taken into account.

You can't make that many stars and planets by hand. You'll need to write a program to do it, but even your computer will take months to generate the galaxy...

Agreed. Then there are things like asteroid belts, brown dwarfs, oort clouds, TNO's, etc, etc.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Sure there are. Here's what I used.

That is a human lifetime for the guy traveling at 0.9999999999999 c (uneducated guess. The number of nines is probably inacurate). It's still eternity for everyone else (and since orbiter doesn't support relativistics, that would include the poor bastard watching it on the screen...)

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
That is a human lifetime for the guy traveling at 0.9999999999999 c (uneducated guess. The number of nines is probably inacurate).
I count 13:lol: That's probably the equivalent of thousands of multiples of c for the pilot. But for sure we would never see him again:(

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
Sure there are. Here's what I used.

That is a human lifetime for the guy traveling at 0.9999999999999 c (uneducated guess. The number of nines is probably inacurate). It's still eternity for everyone else (and since orbiter doesn't support relativistics, that would include the poor bastard watching it on the screen...)

is it posible to inplant relitivity(probebly not:( ) if it is possible please reply.
anyway,thanks for the database

Last edited:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
is it posible to inplant relitivity(probebly not:( ) if it is possible please reply.
anyway,thanks for the database

There's no reason why it shouldn't be, other than the fact that you're probably not even familiar with the subject, nor do you have access to Orbiter's source code that you'd need to modify in order to introduce a change this profound.

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
There's no reason why it shouldn't be, other than the fact that you're probably not even familiar with the subject, nor do you have access to Orbiter's source code that you'd need to modify in order to introduce a change this profound.

so i probebly cant do this. :thumbsdown::(

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
is it posible to inplant relitivity(probebly not:( )

For an add-on it's not possible, no. Martin once mentioned that he was thinking about making Orbiter relativistic, but as far as I know he's not working on it yet and if he starts it would take quite some time until it's finished...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Technically yes, it's possible to implement a semblance of relativity in a vessel module, but it would most likely either just fall apart outside of that vessel or make the Orbiter universe a little more hilarious. :p

(Edit: Actually a plugin could handle positions of multiple vessels in some accordance with the laws, but time dilation is totally out of the question. Orbiter time would need to become meaningless.)
so i probebly cant do this. :thumbsdown::(
I'm sorry to say you're right about that. This is a massive, unprecedented project for Orbiter, and frankly your experience is unsuited for it (like 98% of the rest of us, so no offense intended.) I think it's best to focus on that ramjet vessel. Universes are a bit beyond our reach at the moment, but spaceships we can do. :thumbup:

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
For an add-on it's not possible, no. Martin once mentioned that he was thinking about making Orbiter relativistic, but as far as I know he's not working on it yet and if he starts it would take quite some time until it's finished...

how long?

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Technically yes, it's possible to implement a semblance of relativity in a vessel module, but it would most likely either just fall apart outside of that vessel or make the Orbiter universe a little more hilarious. :p

(Edit: Actually a plugin could handle positions of multiple vessels in some accordance with the laws, but time dilation is totally out of the question. Orbiter time would need to become meaningless.)

I'm sorry to say you're right about that. This is a massive, unprecedented project for Orbiter, and frankly your experience is unsuited for it (like 98% of the rest of us, so no offense intended.) I think it's best to focus on that ramjet vessel. Universes are a bit beyond our reach at the moment, but spaceships we can do. :thumbup:

actuly one of your posts said somthing about implanting relativity. so if i cant do this would it be easyer to make my own spaceflight simulater(you dont need to tell me that im crazy) if this is possible it would be junk compared to orbiter,thats why i dont like that option

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
actuly one of your posts said somthing about implanting relativity. so if i cant do this would it be easyer to make my own spaceflight simulater(you dont need to tell me that im crazy) if this is possible it would be junk compared to orbiter,thats why i dont like that option
My implementation of relativity was junk. All I ended up doing was preventing a ship from exceeding the speed of light in a purely Newtonian way: by reducing thrust to 0 before reaching lightspeed. No time dilation and no real sense of special relativity at all.

(And a pilot could still push over lightspeed by using forward linear RCS. :p)