Project project sorpendarin- redesigned

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
There are height maps in Orbiter, but no collision detection. Your mountains will be limited to eye-candy;)

but if the mountins would be vessels like the prelude ll base that comes with the delta glider 4, wich if i remember correctly could have a vessel landed on it. will that work?

Last edited:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Prelude II's are at zero altitude, which allows you to land on them. It's not a form of collision detection.

Believe me, I wish Orbiter had collision detection. Orulex is very cool, but it would be ten thousand times cooler if you could fly into a mountain:)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
will that work?

There have been several attempts to solve the problem, but all of them are rather hacky... Until the core truly supports terrain as a fature, that's probably not going to change, although Dumbo2007 seems to be on to something pretty nifty. Haven't seen any updates on that in some time, though.

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
ok,then i will just not include mountins. but if i make my own spacesim(wich i plan to do after sorpendarin) it will include mountins and collision. but just mabye by the time i release sorpendarin collision detection and mountins will be in orbiter

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
i am afraid sorpendarin might not come as soon as i hoped. :thumbsdown:
it will hopefully come before 10 years but i cant garinty. i am planning another project :a space sim!(i know ,thats crazy). but sorpendarin will hopefully still hapen,its just without as many features as i planned.i might release the sim before sorpendarin. i am NOT cancelling sorpendarin,just delaying it. also just to let you know i am planning to learn C++ over the summer:):):):)

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
i am very worried about this project

i am worried about this project:( if i ever do start i do not see why orbiter would need it. not not mention all my obiters exept orbiter 2001 broke down.
i will have to reinstall. if i ever get orbiter back i still dont see why orbiter will need sorpendarin

somtimes i even regret joining the fourm

so is there anny purpuse in making sorpendarin
or is it just something that isent worth it and was just posted to make other fourm members excited about me (wich dident work)
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

please reply

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't worry! I stopped ALOT of projects (maybe 4 or 5) but I'm still there. With the time, you'll learn how the things really work. And this project may be sucessful, it just need some time and dedication.
Start with something very simple, and work on it. The first version of the Shuttle Atlantis is a perfect exemple. Now, it's very realistic and beautiful.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Here's a bit of free advice. Don't compare your own ideas of an add-on with other currently available add-ons. The forum here is blessed with some pretty good add-ons, some pretty mediocre add-ons, and some quite fantastic add-ons. We've got a few developers who are pros in real-life, and do this stuff for fun (and free),
Many of us have jobs, wives, kids, school or other commitments and just build something for fun, or as a stepping stone to continue on their own personal learning curve. Others are ninja code writers who can find inspiration for their next project in the add-on request section.
Your own dream project is a pretty massive endeavour, but think about it like you are trying to eat an elephant. Take it one bite at a time. If you want to make an add-on, by all means have at it. But make it for your own pleasure, not ours. As your skills improve, people will take notice, until then don't sweat it.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I really dont have the faintest idea what this project is about, but if its a really large scale orbiter sim, this work might interest you

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4607"]Example for moon of moon (to creating a galaxy)[/ame]

Its a way of creating moons of moons in orbiter, and from there, maybe a galaxy sim

In all seriousness though, might make sense to step back, learn to make something simple, then give it a try :)

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
i am worried about this project:( if i ever do start i do not see why orbiter would need it. not not mention all my obiters exept orbiter 2001 broke down.
i will have to reinstall. if i ever get orbiter back i still dont see why orbiter will need sorpendarin

somtimes i even regret joining the fourm

so is there anny purpuse in making sorpendarin
or is it just something that isent worth it and was just posted to make other fourm members excited about me (wich dident work)

please reply
Dude, it's one thing to have second thoughts about a project, but about joining the forum?! You should never feel you have any reason to regret that. These guys here (including me:)) are all very helpful and will be glad to give you anything you need. The Sorpendarin Project might be a stretch, but trust me, joining O-F is one of the best decisions a space flight lover can make:) Don't worry, you've come to the right place:)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Again, start with small things like making a simple surface base, without necessarily thinking to an "ultimate" project. :2cents:

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
Prelude II's are at zero altitude, which allows you to land on them. It's not a form of collision detection.

Believe me, I wish Orbiter had collision detection. Orulex is very cool, but it would be ten thousand times cooler if you could fly into a mountain:)

actuly,i think on one of my pased versions of orbiter i downloaded, i downloaded an addon calld orlulex collision detection or something simaler to that. i tested it out,and my arrow freighter stood on top of a mountin without falling, but when i took my ummu out to walk on the planet it sunk in a little bit, also if i flew a ship into a mountin,it wouldent go through but its nose got stuck in the mountin and when i fired the engines it thrust upward,while still being attached to the mountin. but that was orbiter 2006, im not sure if it works in 2010.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

for anyone who is interested,thease are all my planed addons for the future:

-sorpendarin base- a fairly large base with a giant sorpendarin ramjet at the center of itself there will be identical versions of this for many of the planets and moons of the soalar system.

-galaxy scenary-simply projects galaxys

-several sorpendarin repaints for ships

- planet modifications- changes the appearence of planets and moons

-galaxy system-a solar system of planets that look like galaxys

- planets acting as universes

eventully i will make the sorpendarin project that this thread has been about, but that will have to wait:)

---------- Post added 12-10-12 at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-09-12 at 09:21 PM ----------

here are the features of the sorpendarin base:):).

-the earliest sorpendarin DSV standing in the center of the base
- 4 small launchpads for DG type craft
- 2 launchpads for shuttles
-5 huge launchpads

and somewhere near the base will be a landing pad for the sorpendirin
oh yeah,the sorpendirin is another ship i was planning on making,it will probably end up being my first ship that is controlable. there are severeal other ships im planning for further in the future, but i cant reaveal much about them now. eventuly i plan on making an entire space sim like orbiter.

anyhow, i hope you like my new sorpendarin addons and,when they finnaly come out, you will download them. if you will download them please reply.
:)

------------------------------------------------------------

sorpendarin:exporing the stars

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I suggest you use Orbiter Base Maker to help you in making your base. It can make a lot of the work a lot easier for you.

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
I suggest you use Orbiter Base Maker to help you in making your base. It can make a lot of the work a lot easier for you.

thanks, Rising Fury, i remember looking at orbiter base maker and even downloading it once. if it makes it easier i will defently use it. :):)

anyway,it seemed to me when i looked at orbiter base maker that it used
deafualt orbiter base textures like the landing pads from brighton beach, habana, and others. i asume i can also import my own 3d models of the sorpendarin and other ships of the sorpendarin fleet. if i can not, how can i make the sorpendarin fuision ramjet.

but if i can, it sounds good

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

anyhow, im working on the desighn of a simple all purpose module, wich will be very small so you can take many with you on youre long voyages with the sorpendarin. whenever sorpendarin passes a new star system it dosent have to brake, it can just jettason the module into the new solar system. the module will be half the size of an arrow freighter(ok thats not very small,but when you put it next to the sorpendarin,it will look extremly small. it has two docking ports,one for the sorpendarin, one for an xr5 size landing craft. of course, it will be a one way trip for the crew, but thats all thats possible.
the craft will be desighned to cary a crew of 7 and some science equipment.
i was thinking about making it UMMU and UCGO compatable, but im not promising anything. UMMU and UCGO will probably have to wait until a later upgrade of it.:):)

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

is there anything else you think i should include in sorpendarin, if there is i would like to know about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorpendarin intergalactic ramjet

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You already have a very long list of features you want to do. Enough that it'll take you years of work. I think you should start working now.

I recommend you start working on your first base. Orbiter Base Maker will make it easier for you, but you can still expect weeks of work before the base is done. Show us how you progress by showing us the occasional screenshot.

For example, I've been working on OBSP for 3 years. It has a long list of features and it's still not done. Currently I'm working on Nellis Air Force Base and it's already taken a few weeks of work.

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
You already have a very long list of features you want to do. Enough that it'll take you years of work. I think you should start working now.

I recommend you start working on your first base. Orbiter Base Maker will make it easier for you, but you can still expect weeks of work before the base is done. Show us how you progress by showing us the occasional screenshot.

For example, I've been working on OBSP for 3 years. It has a long list of features and it's still not done. Currently I'm working on Nellis Air Force Base and it's already taken a few weeks of work.

thank you RisingFury, i will start making blender models of the sorpendarin base. :):):):) if you think i have enough features already, i guess i better start working. sorpendarin base will start soon, and probably later Galaxy scenary.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Sorpenderin, Rising-Fury is spot on. If you look at something like WHAP's Wideawake international or Loru's Carl Sagan Space Center they took a couple of months to design and build.

Your project list is much, much larger than that. A cursory look, without any actual planning, suggests at least 5 years to do a subset of what you want and I think you are going to be disappointed when you try to make a galaxy in orbiter because Orbiter just isn't built like that.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorpenderin, Rising-Fury is spot on. If you look at something like WHAP's Wideawake international or Loru's Carl Sagan Space Center they took a couple of months to design and build.

Your project list is much, much larger than that. A cursory look, without any actual planning, suggests at least 5 years to do a subset of what you want and I think you are going to be disappointed when you try to make a galaxy in orbiter because Orbiter just isn't built like that.

I agree wholeheartedly. Ive learned the basics & a few intermediate skills behind building one ship, making the Shuttle-D, and thats taken 9 to 12 months of blood sweat & tears. A project of this size is going to be pretty darn hard to pull off in a decade. Why not try creating just one ship first?