R/C VTOL XR-2 Ravenstar

NuttyPro67

Reaction score
Hello Guys! I work for a company that designs R/C Foamy parkjets and I've been working on a new Vertical Takeoff project. After spending many days doing it wrong with a model of the F-35 I sat down and spent a long while thinking about how I could make a VTOL parkjet just WORK.

If your curious, here is the F-35 prototype I built, flew, and crashed many times.
F-35.JPG

This design, based off the idea of the Verticopter, uses two motors in the center with counter rotating propellers to remove torque roll from the frame. This particular design had too much drag and the motors stacked ontop of each other ended up canceling each other out. :(
So essentially, I have two motors rated at 30 oz of thrust each kicking out a total of 40 oz of thrust at full throttle. Thats bad. :) Not only that, but with 100% of of the thrust so centralized, I was balancing an egg ontop of a bowling ball when it came time to hover. Solution: spread the thrust out.

With that being said, I spent a long while looking for a twin engine design to base the second concept off of that would also have room for a lifting motor in the front. Then I remembered the XR-2 off Orbiter, a sim I have spent MANY hours playing around with and it hit me like a ton of bricks. :)

I have already built a parkjet variant that is 400 class(rather small) to test the airframe and design itself, with great success.
XR2.JPG

I had to simplify the curves of the XR-2 down to a few faceted edges to save weight, complexity, and time. I also had to make a couple additional changes to the shape and form to make the design more parkjet-esque. The second phase of this project will be twice the size of the parkjet variant and include a triple motor setup.
XR2_2.JPG

Here, you can see a concept render of the model in Google Sketchup in VTOL mode. The two rear motors will pitch down 90 degrees and the front motor will engage, giving the model excellent stability (hopefully!). Just thought you guys might find this stuff interesting. :)

If you have some time, you can check out my website:
www.RCPowers.com
and my Youtube Channel
www.youtube.com/nuttypro67

Thanks guys!

Dambuster

Reaction score
You're right, that is extremely cool!!!

Good luck, and welcome to the forums! :speakcool:

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, I've been a fan of your company's foamy jets for a while now, and if you guys do start selling an XR-2 VTOL kit that's going to become a must-buy for me!

NuttyPro67

Reaction score
The VTOL design won't ever make it to our "for-sale" page thanks to its complexity. We have to keep our designs pretty simple because our customers are sometimes as young as 13. Imagine having to go back and forth in e-mail between an average 13 year old trying to make a VTOL work. *smacks head*

However, I would be more than happy to share the ideas and design here FOR FREE. :)

Messierhunter

Reaction score
The VTOL design won't ever make it to our "for-sale" page thanks to its complexity. We have to keep our designs pretty simple because our customers are sometimes as young as 13.
However, I would be more than happy to share the ideas and design here FOR FREE. :)
That's understandable. My own model building experience has been limited to rockets or non-flying vehicles so far, but my little brother has plenty of RC-building experience I can call on for help. I look forward to the design, free is always good!

NuttyPro67

Reaction score
If anybody has 1/4" foam laying around and wants to put together the parkjet variant XR-2 I have a photo of, I'd be happy to post the plans on here. It's a PDF document that is sized at 2'x4', the size of a sheet of 1/4" foam board insulation from Lowes. Thanks!

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Hey welcome.
This looks realy cool.
Keep on this.:)

NuttyPro67

Reaction score
Ok, so, as it stands here are the specifications of the project:
-Triple motor setup, all 480 class motors that push ~35 oz of thrust with a 6x4inch prop. This should give a maximum vtol liftoff weight of around 6 pounds.
-Total Estimated weight is 3.5 pounds with a length of 95cm and a wingspan of 80cm. Wing area is ~4.2 sq ft.
-Final VTOL plane will need atleast a 9 channel radio to work fully.
-Redundant triple axis active gyro stabilization.