Humor Random Comments Thread

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Okay, that went well...

So I'm kind of kicking around this idea for Alpha Centuari team play: where a team of people control a single faction. For example, you have an executive who issues the general strategy, an agriculture minister who handles all the formers, and a defense minister who handles the military, etc etc.

There could even be some sort of parliament of, say, eight or ten people, who have to give their blessings to the decisions coming from the top.

There would be a lot of complications--finding enough people on OF who are interested in the game would be the biggest, I think--and then one would have to deal with organizing it. A thread? A social group? Both? And the first hundred years or so would be the most interesting...

Thoughts?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As in Sid Meyers Alpha Centauri?

frankly, I think the interface isn't really up for that kind of play. In the end you'd have one poor sod having to execute all the moves that were decided on, probably against his better judgement. While that may be an accurate representation of politics, I don't think it would be fun.

and then one would have to deal with organizing it. A thread? A social group? Both?

That's secondary concern. First you'd have to get all the players to agree on a law, and then you'd need procedures on how to change those laws as soon as the first flaws in them become apparent. Something like this would be a nice project for someone who studies politics, but gameplay wise, you'd end up with 99% meta-game. Unless you just institute a dictatorship. But then it would probably be less frustrating to just play it solo.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Eh, you're right. I guess not every human activity lends itself well to a game

Oh, I don't doubt you could make a good game out of it, but then the game has to be made for it. I.E. provide a set of rules and an interface for it. Otherwise you just have real politics about a game instead of gameified politics.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I went to Home Depot today - they already have Christmas decorations out for sale. :blink: Seriously? We're going to try to milk the Christmas shopping season for over two freaking months? You gotta be kidding me.

I'm not a church-goer by any means, but it's disgusting what advertisers will do to warp religious traditions for money.

WWJD?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I went to Home Depot today - they already have Christmas decorations out for sale. :blink: Seriously? We're going to try to milk the Christmas shopping season for over two freaking months? You gotta be kidding me.

I'm not a church-goer by any means, but it's disgusting what advertisers will do to warp religious traditions for money.

WWJD?

Christmas is only 9 weeks away now. My christmas planning has already started. Well, my holiday planning as well. :rofl:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Christmas is only 9 weeks away now. My christmas planning has already started. Well, my holiday planning as well. :rofl:

I am not anti-Christmas, but I hate having Holiday Cheer (TM) jammed up my butt for 3+ months out of the year. Scanning the radio channels while driving my car and being unable to listen to anything except Dominick the :censored: Donkey for those 3 months. People getting more anti-social in public due to the perceived pressures to give gifts and practice Holiday Cheer (TM).

On Christmas day I enjoy a quiet, happy day with my family, which is how it should be. The rest of the season and whoever invented "The Christmas Season" can die in a fire caused by a shorted series-wired light on a tinder-dry Christmas tree in January for all I care.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I'm not a church-goer by any means, but it's disgusting what advertisers will do <SNIP> for money.

FTFY. I am a churchgoer and heartily agree with your statement in its original form, but it is far too general.

But regarding the original wording of your statement and the general subject of the commercialization of Christmas, I think CS Lewis said it best.

http://merecslewis.blogspot.com/2011/12/commercial-racket-of-christmas.html

C.S. Lewis said:
But can it really be my duty to buy and receive masses of junk every winter just to help the shopkeepers? If the worst comes to the worst I'd sooner give them money for nothing and write if off as a charity. For nothing? Why, better for nothing than for a nuisance.

Thunder Chicken said:

That's actually not a hypothetical question: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleansing_of_the_Temple

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score

WWJD?

As a Home Depot associate, I agree with your reaction. But, I'm bottom of the totem pole, and if corporate decides that the trees and lights go up at the beginning of October, then we just have to do it.

At least they have the heart to restrict the Christmas music to Black Friday and later, but it's still torture. As a loader, I get to escape the worst of the music. My coworkers, though, often would argue over who got to escape out to the tree lot and pick their own damn music! :lol:

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

whoever invented "The Christmas Season" can die in a fire caused by a shorted series-wired light on a tinder-dry Christmas tree in January for all I care.

Agreed!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm not a church-goer by any means, but it's disgusting what advertisers will do to warp religious traditions for money
Interesting perspective.

Here we have a big holiday around the same dates, with the same appearance, similar characters and exactly the same Cheer & Commerce magnitude, and yet here "Christmas" is an obscure christian holiday in early January (orthodox church uses the Julian calendar).

So i think the right general rule will be
∀X (advertisers will use X to make money)

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
War Against Christmas? Sign me up!

Not against Christmas. I'm not religious at all but celebrating the birth of a historical figure who wanted people to be nice to each other is A-OK with me. In that spirit, the Christmas Season (TM) really seems to do the reverse - it extracts the worst in people and causes highly antisocial behavior.

I really would like to just hide in a bunker and avoid the world until Groundhog Day. That day seems to be the day where I can breathe a sigh of relief and realize that the worst of the Christmas Season (TM) is over, never mind the end of winter. And what a fun and silly way to do it! Pomp, speeches, guys dressed in tails and top hats, food and beer, speaking in tongues, everyone waiting for a magical rodent to tell them that spring is coming.

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not against Christmas. I'm not religious at all but celebrating the birth of a historical figure who wanted people to be nice to each other is A-OK with me. In that spirit, the Christmas Season (TM) really seems to do the reverse - it extracts the worst in people and causes highly antisocial behavior.

I really would like to just hide in a bunker and avoid the world until Groundhog Day. That day seems to be the day where I can breathe a sigh of relief and realize that the worst of the Christmas Season (TM) is over, never mind the end of winter. And what a fun and silly way to do it! Pomp, speeches, guys dressed in tails and top hats, food and beer, speaking in tongues, everyone waiting for a magical rodent to tell them that spring is coming.

Not me. I actually want to DESTROY CHRISTMAS!!! mwa ha ha ha!

APDAF

Reaction score
Bah humbug I say!

I've seen christmas stuff in august over here so... yeah...
And I could say something but... I'll would have to use the basement for that

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
I signed up to m6 back around 05 or 06.

That guy in my avatar? He's my folk hero. He's actually nicer than I am, but I can't pick up cars and throw them around so it balances out.
I recall watching your folk hero explode.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I was recently watching ABC's coverage of the Apollo 11 landing on YouTube. Between the landing and the moonwalk, the station went to coverage of events closer to home. I had no idea that the Chappaquiddick incident actually occured during the mission (it was referenced as having occurred within the past week during the news interlude). Of course, for people like me that were born more than a decade after the moon landings, even knowing that the Chappaquiddick incident happened is probably atypical, let alone being able to date it.