Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So what case is it meant to be used for?

For announcing that a resource was forbidding due to legal reasons. Since there are many legal reasons around in the world, it essentially means the internet will be nationalized.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
403: The server (operator) has decided that you aren't allowed to see this
451: An outside entity (The courts/govt) has decided that you aren't allowed to see this.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For announcing that a resource was forbidding due to legal reasons. Since there are many legal reasons around in the world, it essentially means the internet will be nationalized.

As in, "This video not available in your country"? ( as opposed to 403 often indicating that the server does not allow you to see whatever content you are requesting)

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
451: An outside entity (The courts/govt) has decided that you aren't allowed to see this.

451 as in Fahrenheit 451?

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Happy ... almost apogee passage?

My birthday is also today (or did you mean your birthday's tomorrow?).

December 20th. I actually have a few friends that share this birthday and we have an annual pre-solstice celebration (we joke that we're pagans with a bad sense of timing).

I finally got to go hiking for the first time in a long while. It was a nice crisp, cool day, and I went to the Quabbin reservoir, a really beautiful place, one of those increasingly rare places where you can go and not hear people, car traffic, etc. Just the sound of the wind in the trees and the lapping of the water on the stones on the shore. I spent several hours on the shore just sitting and enjoying some peace. I have to do that much more often.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=+a+long+time+ago+in+a+galaxy+far+far+away#

---------- Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 23:01 ----------

So the internet is officially dead.
Hm. About time some braindead... well, this isn't the basement.

Actually, I'm less perturbed by the existence of error 451 after thinking about it for a bit. Any entity that would want to block / ban a page would probably prefer that the server not even admit the page ever existed in the first place, and that 404 be used instead (and many governments may take the approach of legislating that 404 be used instead of 451 or 403). Error 451 is a way for the Internet to signal, when it is permitted to do so, that it has been compromised by the law.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
90e3207e36140b7f70d524a72f48d2a1.jpg

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Muahahaha! :lol:

My new weapon in the arsenenal for the war on christmass, I translate "kumbaya" as "what the hell?" whenever I hear it.
It has the awkward sideeffect that I'm now prone to spontaneous utterances of "kumbaya?" in (in)apropriate situations :shifty:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Muahahaha! :lol:

My new weapon in the arsenenal for the war on christmass, I translate "kumbaya" as "what the hell?" whenever I hear it.
It has the awkward sideeffect that I'm now prone to spontaneous utterances of "kumbaya?" in (in)apropriate situations :shifty:

As German, I am absolutely immunized against Kumbaya thanks to the Guano Apes :lol:

When ever I hear the words, I have this song banging in my head, urging to come out and play....

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh, I forgott all about that one...

Forgott all about the band, now that I think about it. Had probably the most underrated female singer of the last decade.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Forgott all about the band, now that I think about it. Had probably the most underrated female singer of the last decade.

Not sure. She was epic in the early 2000s... but if you listen to her today... maybe underrated. I would say she got the worst vocal coach possible.

Also the song writing became too shallow in the later albums. The whole "Proud Like A God" album still rocks.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I got a survey from Nielsen ratings in the mail, including $2 cash and a promise of $5 more if I completed the survey. Survey was pretty easy to fill out since I don't have any kids, don't have a landline phone, and don't own a TV.

I think a TV advertiser would despair if they saw my survey. They do not have my eyeballs and probably never will.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think a TV advertiser would despair if they saw my survey. They do not have my eyeballs and probably never will.

Who needs a TV today anyway? I only need mine because a 40" display is better for watching than a 15.6" notebook. :lol:

Another storm here today, if it wouldn't be so damn warm today (up to 14°C) it would be typical Christmas weather in northern Germany.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Urwumpe said:
Another storm here today, if it wouldn't be so damn warm today (up to 14°C) it would be typical Christmas weather in northern Germany.

Same here. We've only had a couple light frosts, now back up to 50F-60F and rain. I'm sure we'll pay for this in January and February, but the El Nino seems to be keeping the Arctic air up in Canada.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Same here. We've only had a couple light frosts, now back up to 50F-60F and rain. I'm sure we'll pay for this in January and February, but the El Nino seems to be keeping the Artic air up in Canada.

Same here, the weather feels a lot like the last El Nino winter 1997/1998.

January 1998 was starting warm but over my first night of sleep (after about 70 hours awake because of Superbowl and night watch duty) during a division exercise in the army, winter came. My last memory was me sitting in a transporter to the final deployment area of my unit before falling asleep and thankfully getting tugged into my sleeping bag. While I was sleeping for 9 hours (nobody dared to wake me up), temperatures dropped from +8°C to -15°C, 10 cm snow fell and I woke up to the meditative sound of a two stroke generator and an artillery battery firing a few hundred meters away. My first question: "How long did I sleep?" On the next night, the temperatures dropped further and my guard duty late at night was mostly me counting the IFVs that had to be tugged into the maintenance area because pre-heating had failed. Things got a bit crowded, because additionally to the maintenance platoon, many of IFV crews found shelter from the cold in our heated place.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Typical Christmas weather in Houston. 75F/24C. I'm not convinced we're really in the northern hemisphere.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
and steam gives me 503 error on almost every page