Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's pretty much the Japanese Domestic Market's early Toyota Corolla. Except it was part of an anime, and now every weeaboo with even a passing interest in refined petroleum wants one.

So, its pretty much like a Reliant Robin or a AMC Pacer?

A Lancia Delta S4 was for sale a few days ago, sadly I did not have a villa spare to sell for buying it.

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I occasionally see a "normal" first generation Lancia Delta around here that is in extremely good condition for being a 20-25 year old car. Literally looks like new.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I occasionally see a "normal" first generation Lancia Delta around here that is in extremely good condition for being a 20-25 year old car. Literally looks like new.

Yeah, a Guigiaro design car, those still look like classics, like the first generation Volkswagen Golf and especially the Scirocco - there are still quite many of those around here.

Volkswagen_Scirocco_I_%28post_facelift%29_in_%28almost%29_profile_arriving_at_Schaffen-Diest.JPG

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
$1,300,000,000 US Powerball jackpot. :huh:

You can do a lot of good with that amount of money, but man, you could also do a lot of evil with it as well. We're getting into Carl Sagan's "beeleeons and beeleeons" sorts of numbers that people just can't wrap their heads around.

• It's 50,000 cars, each worth $26,000 apiece. If you bought cars at the rate of one a minute, you'd buy the last one in just over a month.
  • I could pay the equivalent of my monthly $1000 mortgage payment...for nearly 11,000 years.
  • At $100 per gram of cocaine (a high street value), this is 13 metric tons of cocaine.
  • If printed out on $1 bills, each 6 inches long, and put end to end, it would go around the earth 5 times.
  • At 490 $1 notes per pound, this would be a pile of paper weighing 1325 short tons, and would be a cubic stack of money 35 ft to a side.

.....or fund 1 more SLS flight for NASA, or 1 more Mars rover mission, or you can send it to The Elon and buy 20 Falcon 9 flights...... :rofl:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's pretty much the Japanese Domestic Market's early Toyota Corolla. Except it was part of an anime, and now every weeaboo with even a passing interest in refined petroleum wants one.
Actually, if I get a car, it will be a Corolla.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, a Guigiaro design car, those still look like classics, like the first generation Volkswagen Golf and especially the Scirocco - there are still quite many of those around here.

Volkswagen_Scirocco_I_%28post_facelift%29_in_%28almost%29_profile_arriving_at_Schaffen-Diest.JPG

My first car was a used Scirocco. 4-speed manual, power nothing, Bosch mechanical fuel injection (as in "not electronic"), and no A/C. I loved that car, did a lot of work on it myself, and I was pretty upset when it got rear-ended and destroyed when I was in college, but it's final act was to protect me from the impact so I could walk away in the pouring rain.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I loved the look of the Scirocco. But I am taking a serious look at the Tesla model S next. There was a time when I never thought I could afford a car of that price.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, I forgot to mention my Scirocco used to get over 32 miles per gallon and, on occasion, much higher than that on the highway, almost 40. To get that now you have to buy something expensive and complicated. The Scirocco was a much more simple machine.

And Volkswagon didn't have to cheat for me to get those numbers! :cool:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I loved the look of the Scirocco. But I am taking a serious look at the Tesla model S next. There was a time when I never thought I could afford a car of that price.

There was once a time when even considering buying an apartment was completely unthinkable. Now it is a matter of duty. :lol:

Well, its still the question: Apartment or Porsche. But since I already know, who would call this Porsche her own despite me paying the bills... maybe not the smartest move.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
The problem is that the sorts of folks that regularly play the lottery are often not the best with money and numbers in the first place. This sort of money will likely destroy whoever wins it, and will do little good for anyone except for the lawyers.

The first winners of the Powerball have come out:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/01/15/munford-couple-wins-powerball/78837572/

• They have opted to take the $528 million as lump sum ($327 million) because "You never know if you'll be here tomorrow" :facepalm:
  • They announced themselves on the Today Show :facepalm:
  • They are going to work on Monday, because "You can't just sit down and do nothing anymore," John Robinson said. "How long ya gonna last?" :facepalm:
They don't have any idea how much money they have, or what to do with it. They are so screwed.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

I had real bad taste several years ago.

My favorite font was Comic Sans, because I thought it looked cute. I once had replaced all the fonts on my computer with it. I also even enjoyed the second (Michael Bay) Transformers movie, because I only payed attention to the action scenes and could sit through all the trashy plot and dialogue. And this car (specifically the Pivo 2), I thought it had a cool and unique design, not understanding why everyone else was calling it ugly.

Don't worry. I'm an anti-hipster - I do things long after they are cool.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
The first winners of the Powerball have come out:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/01/15/munford-couple-wins-powerball/78837572/

• They have opted to take the $528 million as lump sum ($327 million) because "You never know if you'll be here tomorrow" :facepalm:
  • They announced themselves on the Today Show :facepalm:
  • They are going to work on Monday, because "You can't just sit down and do nothing anymore," John Robinson said. "How long ya gonna last?" :facepalm:
They don't have any idea how much money they have, or what to do with it. They are so screwed.

-Hey, I'd take the lump sum too. You have no assurances that the lottery will still exist when you're supposed to get the last check from them. It's a tradeoff: More money over time, but you might not get it all; or not get all of it, but be assured you'll get what you're owed. Besides, you can do a hell of a lot of good with $327 million.
-Well, that was dumb. :lol:
-Hey, I'd go to work, too. If nothing else, it's something to keep me out of trouble and socialized. Granted, I wouldn't have made a media announcement, because that's just putting a giant target on my head... and I hate the media anyways.
-Most people have a hard time truly wrapping their heads around any numbers larger than a few dozen. The denizens of this forum are notable exception to that. ;)

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'd take the lump sum, taking at least half, and then buy my own annuity. That way if I keel over it can become part of the estate. From what I understand, if you take the Lottery annuity and die, it's gone. Your estate only gets what you've already drawn.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I'd take the lump sum, but I'd make damn sure to remain anonymous. I really don't need everybody and their Father's brother's cousin's roommate from grad school asking me for a bit of change.

Personally, I'd buy a nice house somewhere, maybe Texas or Northern Sweden, and put down a private strip and a decent sized hangar. I'd buy a few warbirds or kit planes, not exceeding 15 million. Then some old cars and a tool set that'd make working on them 'easy'. The rest of the money would go into savings and investments, not to be touched unless absolutely necessary.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I'd take the lump sum, but I'd make damn sure to remain anonymous. I really don't need everybody and their Father's brother's cousin's roommate from grad school asking me for a bit of change.

Personally, I'd buy a nice house somewhere, maybe Texas or Northern Sweden, and put down a private strip and a decent sized hangar. I'd buy a few warbirds or kit planes, not exceeding 15 million. Then some old cars and a tool set that'd make working on them 'easy'. The rest of the money would go into savings and investments, not to be touched unless absolutely necessary.

Agreed. Stearman, Texan, Mustang, in that order. :thumbup:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I'd take the lump sum, taking at least half, and then buy my own annuity. That way if I keel over it can become part of the estate. From what I understand, if you take the Lottery annuity and die, it's gone. Your estate only gets what you've already drawn.

If you assign the winnings to a trust or LLC, you don't need to worry about your lifespan - the payments will still be made to it after your death. With these piles of money, you could establish a foundation that would fund charities and your family well after you are gone.

I don't have a predilection for shiny toys, so I'd probably would only draw what I could spend to travel and live well. My "job" at that point would be to see what good could be done with that money.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Agreed. Stearman, Texan, Mustang, in that order. :thumbup:

Look at the Collings Foundation as a potential model for how the money could be spent. It would be a way to prevent these aircraft from going derelict in a hangar after you snuff it.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
You might think that a phrase "I parked my car in orbit" won't seriously be said for centuries, much less next decade. But consider, how else would you describe leaving your driverless car circling around the block on autopilot because there were no parking spots nearby?

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
You might think that a phrase "I parked my car in orbit" won't seriously be said for centuries, much less next decade. But consider, how else would you describe leaving your driverless car circling around the block on autopilot because there were no parking spots nearby?

Well, that's the plan for most future moon mission concepts, leave the CSM unmanned in lunar orbit, so it's a valid concept.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Aaaand 21,000 posts in the RCT. :woohoo:
Let's keep up the mayhem and chaos, folks! :cool:

But is this really a "Random" comments thread, ot should it be called "Pseudo-random"? :tiphat:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Given the number of parameters that is needed to predict wherever a new subject will be talked about, or if we'll continue the current one, I'd say it is true randomness.

So while we're at it, let's all keep this high entropy! :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Given the number of parameters that is needed to predict wherever a new subject will be talked about, or if we'll continue the current one, I'd say it is true randomness.

So while we're at it, let's all keep this high entropy! :lol:

#TruRandom

Looks like Chris Evans really has some physical limitations that make him unfit for the task of hosting Top Gear.

:cheers: