Reaction score
p3sa4qg.jpg

Meanwhile, at Mars One HQ

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Is it really that good with the L6 link? I did not yet find good comparisons to compare. But the sound is really good with the POD, I really enjoy it. :)

I have a Vetta II too (the big expensive one), but I prefer my POD by quite a margin. Maybe it's because the Variax doesn't work so well with the Vetta as it does with the POD.
It's probably because I used to play so much live that I value flexibility almost as highly as sound quality and reliability. I wouldn't dream of using my Gibson SG/Marshall tube amp for a gig now.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
On a random note...
Mystery switches.

I'm staying at a friend's rented house in Chile, and decided to map all the switches spread around it, because trying to turn the right lights on was constant guesswork.

There are 56 switches total in the house.
-One of them give electric shocks when you switch it
-One switch by the bathroom toggles the light pole between the houses
-The ringer button on one side of the house opens up the gate on the other side of the house
-15 of them do nothing that i can see, and i'm kinda worried that one of them might be dropping stray dogs into lava pools on the other side of the town or something, all things considered

Here is an earlier sketch:
fwJa32L.jpg

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
On a random note...
Mystery switches.

Switch 37 does this. Don't flip Switch 37.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

On a random note...
Mystery switches.

I'm staying at a friend's rented house in Chile, and decided to map all the switches spread around it, because trying to turn the right lights on was constant guesswork.

-The ringer button on one side of the house opens up the gate on the other side of the house
-15 of them do nothing that i can see, and i'm kinda worried that one of them might be dropping stray dogs into lava pools on the other side of the town or something, all things considered

I think this is the wiring diagram to your friend's house. Hope it helps:

circuit_diagram.png

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
On a random note...
Mystery switches.

fwJa32L.jpg

Last year, when turning on the kitchen light, there was arcing inside the switch and the light flickered for several seconds, and at the same time, lights that were off in a bedroom would flicker on. The kitchen switch was eventually replaced and the light show stopped.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
On a random note...
Mystery switches.

fwJa32L.jpg

Welcome to South America.
In the bus, the bell (to stop the bus and get off) sometimes give electric shocks, so the bell did not ring, but the passengers' insults were heard instead. Really.
H6-1.jpg

Photo of the bus line 509, who serves a exasperating 45-minute wait, and a 10-minutes travel.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Welcome to South America.
In the bus, the bell (to stop the bus and get off) sometimes give electric shocks, so the bell did not ring, but the passengers' insults were heard instead. Really.
H6-1.jpg

Photo of the bus line 509, who serves a exasperating 45-minute wait, and a 10-minutes travel.

So, your local car mechanics have no idea how to correctly ground electrics in a car? After all, that is exactly the reason why everything is grounded to the chassis usually... so the current has no reason to pass through the human body.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Don't get the joke here, shouldn't be any dangerous voltage on a bus, its usually 24V system. HT in the fluro-lighting, but that shouldn't get anywhere near a bell-push?
Must be missing something here?

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
a long time ago, there were those jokes about "how x catches an elephant", among which were many very suitable analogies for the pecularities of various programing languages.
I was unable to find any about Clojure, being a rather young language, but being in the process of learning it, I'd describe the experience as "walking backwards through Africa, searching for an elephant inside a forest nested inside a forest nested inside a forest nested inside a forest" :shifty:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I won't be surprised.
In half of the buses here the people just yell "pare!" or something similar.
In the other half, there are strings tied above the hand-holds, that ring a bell when you pull it, and the actual buttons do nothing.
RA87BBQ.jpg

Haven't been shocked yet, however (if you don't count the buses racing each other to the point of two wheels leaving the ground).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
a long time ago, there were those jokes about "how x catches an elephant", among which were many very suitable analogies for the pecularities of various programing languages.
I was unable to find any about Clojure, being a rather young language, but being in the process of learning it, I'd describe the experience as "walking backwards through Africa, searching for an elephant inside a forest nested inside a forest nested inside a forest nested inside a forest" :shifty:

Just use the LISP version. All jokes that apply to LISP also apply well to Clojure.

Anyway, since it is about jokes:

Three women sat discussing their husbands and their sex lives.

"My husband's a wrestler," said the first. "He's really strong and aggressive in bed."

"My husband's an artist," said the second. "He's really gentle and sensitive."

"My husband's an IBM salesman," said the third. "He sits on the edge of the bed and tells me how good it's going to be when I finally get it."

Last edited:

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Don't get the joke here, shouldn't be any dangerous voltage on a bus, its usually 24V system. HT in the fluro-lighting, but that shouldn't get anywhere near a bell-push?
Must be missing something here?

N.
Grounding systems are sometimes different between vehicles, and you might find there's two incompatible systems installed... and the flouro HT grounding is -ve while the bus system is +ve grounded . They'll still work but when somebody connects the same terminals..bang, or in the case of a human body.. a slight zap!

Or it could be the bus driver taking the mickey out of the passengers ;)

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

...I was unable to find any about Clojure, being a rather young language, but being in the process of learning it, I'd describe the experience as "walking backwards through Africa, searching for an elephant inside a forest nested inside a forest nested inside a forest nested inside a forest" :shifty:
Nah! you were looking in the wrong place.. elephants and lions walk down the main streets of the cities, down here :rofl:

Last edited:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
One time last year, we had flames come shooting out of a socket that had a heater plugged into it. The heater had power but was not running. Then suddenly the flames just sucked back into the wall and never reappeared. There is a big black area around that socket now, and obviously both the socket and the heater's plug were pretty much destroyed. But thankfully we have never had that trouble again.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Tomorrow, from 14:45 German local time on, a live stream will be shown here

http://www.ipp.mpg.de/livestream_d_16

to celebrate the first hydrogen plasma in the Wendelstein 7-X stellerator.

Chancellor Merkel had been requested to hold a speech there from 15:05, not confirmed yet it seems.

The countdown to the ignition of the plasma will be from 15:35 on.

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
One time last year, we had flames come shooting out of a socket that had a heater plugged into it. The heater had power but was not running. Then suddenly the flames just sucked back into the wall and never reappeared. There is a big black area around that socket now, and obviously both the socket and the heater's plug were pretty much destroyed. But thankfully we have never had that trouble again.

Wiring 'Professionals' .. don't you just love them :lol:

I walked around the corridor to see my mother-in-law sticking a knife behind the kitchen plug to lever it out from the socket... She shouldn't have bothered... flames and sparks and the plug, with knife 'welded' to it, flew out the socket by itself.

'That worked well'.. was my comment - she stared at me with wide eyes :lol:

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score

:blink:

You... might want to check the inside of the wall there. It's gonna take some drywall work, though.