Humor Random Comments Thread

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
My favorite story happened on a training cruise a couple of years ago. I wasn't on the particular cruise, but I knew the cadet, really funny kid.

Said cadet was returning to the ship in time for his curfew. He had a few beers but was otherwise under control. We have a tiki hut at the end of the gangway where you check in with the watch to get back on the ship. He checks in, and starts up the gangway, but is stopped by the watch.

"You can't bring that chicken on board" they said. Sure enough, tucked under his arm is a live, clucking chicken.

Now, when the ship is underway, a lot of the cadets fish using handlines off the fantail, and if they catch something, they can bring it to the ship mess and the stewards will prepare it for dinner. It's an accepted tradition on the ship.

So the cadet responds to the watch, "I caught this chicken and was going to bring it to the mess for dinner tomorrow night." This caught the watch cadets short - sounded legit, and before they could protest the cadet walked up the gangway with his live chicken.

Meanwhile, in the engine room, since they're in port, they have a short staff on watch. Some of the old timer engineers take this watch because it is easy and quiet. The engine room is 5 stories of pipes, cables, steam lines, valves, etc...rather hot and noisy.

The hot and noisy engine room can be rather upsetting to chickens.

One of the watch engineers, making his rounds, comes face to face with a rather freaked out chicken that had been released by our prankster. It is flapping and running all over the place, generally causing mayhem.

So the engine room watch engineers get up and start chasing the chicken, finally corralling it between the boilers and trapping it in a locker. The fate of the chicken is unknown but I believe it was released.

The event was commemorated thus:

Attachments

• Chicken Trap.jpg
    Chicken Trap.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 35

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
TiycFOR.jpg

Xcom 2, Errybody.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Lemme guess... you'd rather have the Redshirts as your tactical team... They may die, but at least they hit something?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Violent comicbook comedy. Shallow as hell but really funny.

latest

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Managed to split a tooth yesterday, luckily remained pain free, now after being to a dentist to fix it as good as possible, I entered a world of pain... :blackeye:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
My dentist looks like a blonde version of Steve Martin from Little Shop of Horrors. When I mentioned if he'd ever seen it, he said he had a sudden idea for Halloween.

Yep, he did it. Motorcycle and all.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My dentist looks like a blonde version of Steve Martin from Little Shop of Horrors. When I mentioned if he'd ever seen it, he said he had a sudden idea for Halloween.

Yep, he did it. Motorcycle and all.

My dentist has the appearance of an Austrian ski trainer and the work attitude of a Formula One mechanic. I am pretty sure some kind of magic is involved there, no human should be able to work that fast with drills while casually talking about BBQ. Especially if this drill is in my mouth!

But so far, I have little complaints about his work. You feel pretty hammered afterwards, but usually there are far less complications than expected.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Managed to split a tooth yesterday, luckily remained pain free, now after being to a dentist to fix it as good as possible, I entered a world of pain... :blackeye:

Ouch! Quick recovery to you!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What happened?

Bread happened. Had bought some nice German bread with many nice ingredients, especially pumpkin seeds, in it. And it looks like one of the pumpkin seeds had been too hard for an already weakened tooth.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Bread happened. Had bought some nice German bread with many nice ingredients, especially pumpkin seeds, in it. And it looks like one of the pumpkin seeds had been too hard for an already weakened tooth.

Ouch.

I haven't been to a dentist since I was a kid. Never had my wisdom teeth taken out. Three of them are collapsed and pretty much gone, and one has a chunk missing. But they never seem to bother me, and aside from a lot of tartar, the rest of my teeth seem fine.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Never had my wisdom teeth taken out.

Same here. One is a source of mild trouble when he notifies me of his existence twice per year. But then, since I already lacked half of the wisdom teeth genetically, no issue.

I would likely also stay away from the dentist except if there is trouble, if it weren't for the German health insurance regulations. I had some lots of trouble two years ago, because of a serious inflammation in the region where the broken tooth is now, requiring a series of root canal therapies.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Firefly is running NOW on Tele 5 in German TV!

birdmanmike

Reaction score
. . . and there was me thinking it was a seriously early launch from Firefly Space with Cubesat, oder irgendwas - a quick search on "Firefly Tele 5" put me right.