Reaction score
ajax.jpg

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Since the Bundesliga is finally being broadcast in the US, I'm seriously trying to find a team to support next season, and I've narrowed it to Eintracht Frankfurt. I like large cities and I'm trying to avoid "overly successful" teams, so they seem to be the logical choice.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Looks like they finally built a proper shelter for her. It irritated me that they let the vehicle be damaged twice.

Oh, yeah it's a pretty nice facility. Also has a Soyuz TMA descent module from Expedition 11.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Huh... I saw the image and thought "oh, there's a new AJAX alternative around? let's google that..." Was pretty surprised it was about comic books. I'm having professional deformations already after 8 months on the job.

Firefly is running NOW on Tele 5 in German TV!
Firefly is running all the time on Netflix :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Firefly is running all the time on Netflix :lol:

Still no Netflix or similar here. :(

Now I have the necessary internet ( + already the offer to upgrade to 100 MBit/s), but because of the Volkswagen crisis, I have shelved any non-necessary procurements for the current year.

Not that I am hit hard by the current crisis or have to fear for my job... but the old saying should be remembered "When VW coughs, Wolfsburg gets a cold."

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Since the Bundesliga is finally being broadcast in the US, I'm seriously trying to find a team to support next season, and I've narrowed it to Eintracht Frankfurt. I like large cities and I'm trying to avoid "overly successful" teams, so they seem to be the logical choice.

Well, as true Eintracht supporter, better get used to the band Böhse Onkelz, they are mandatory down there. :lol:

Also the old imperial Reichskriegsflagge is strangely common among Eintracht supporters, don't ask me why...

500px-War_Ensign_of_Germany_1903-1918.svg.png

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Well, as true Eintracht supporter, better get used to the band Böhse Onkelz, they are mandatory down there. :lol:

Also the old imperial Reichskriegsflagge is strangely common among Eintracht supporters, don't ask me why...

500px-War_Ensign_of_Germany_1903-1918.svg.png

Interesting. What's the culture like at Wolfsburg?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Interesting. What's the culture like at Wolfsburg?

We have no culture. :lol: Seriously, most hate us at Wolfsburg for our lack of any (fake) traditions, because our club was really only founded in 1945 and did not play in the Bundesliga before until 1997. I remember how few people had been celebrating, when Wolfsburg started playing in the second division of the Bundesliga in 1992.

We are a lot less vain than Hoffenheim, which literally needed to buy the 1899 for pretending a longer tradition. The lack of any usual football tradition is not the worst... we have the biggest number of women among the spectators and the only arena with childcare.

The few constants here are our (top-down selected) song "Grün-Weiß VfL", the (supporter choice) song "Immer nur Du" and playing "Rama Lama Ding Dong" (by The Edsels) after goals. :lol: Our local rival Braunschweig started calling the Wolfsburg supporters "Radkappen" (hub caps) and we can actually like it.

Also, the number 10 is pretty special here, since it is still considered officially reserved for the Polish football player Krysztof Nowak here. But the FIFA regulations made it impossible to maintain that tradition.

Most people here work for Volkswagen, which is pretty visible during Three-game-weeks, since most games are then beginning right between two shifts at the factory, which means that one third of the VW workers can't watch the game.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the old saying should be remembered "When VW coughs, Wolfsburg gets a cold."

Considering VW currently has a cold with a slight fever, Wolfsburg should prepare for cholera... :shifty:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Considering VW currently has a cold with a slight fever, Wolfsburg should prepare for cholera... :shifty:

Pneumonia. Cholera is a Hamburg thing. ;)

But actually, it isn't that bad. Most expect this to be practically over next year.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So, I recently visted New York City for the first time about a month ago. Saw the Enterprise at the Intrepid Museum and grabbed a few pictures.

http://m.imgur.com/lGCdclO,TD40PjA,JDBHRFm,7UTj1aR

Looks like the only change since I was there 2 years ago was adding more exhibition booths under the craft:

http://orbiter-forum.com/album.php?albumid=1000

Looks like they finally built a proper shelter for her. It irritated me that they let the vehicle be damaged twice.

I'd say they have experience, they also broke Concorde: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/07/nyregion/07concorde.html?_r=0

er1VBur.jpg

The funniest thing is that I had to pay extra for the Concorde tour and once our group was inside and one guy opened the overhead locker the guide was like: "Do not touch that! We will get sued if anything gets damaged!"

:lol:

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Odd thing, been on-board a couple of Concorde(static), and they are...small. One keeps getting shunted around Heathrow.

Never mind, here's a proper shunter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35599183

N.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Looks like the only change since I was there 2 years ago was adding more exhibition booths under the craft:

http://orbiter-forum.com/album.php?albumid=1000

I'd say they have experience, they also broke Concorde: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/07/nyregion/07concorde.html?_r=0

The funniest thing is that I had to pay extra for the Concorde tour and once our group was inside and one guy opened the overhead locker the guide was like: "Do not touch that! We will get sued if anything gets damaged!"

:lol:

It's good that the Intrepid Museum is getting these artifacts, but they are struggling to care for them properly.

I've seen worse. The New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks CT took a direct hit from a tornado in 1979, and for many years the exhibits were just the few fuselages that escaped serious damage, often missing wings and control surfaces. Piles of wreckage were stacked everywhere. They since have built a new facility and have restored and procured many more aircraft, and have a small restoration facility. It's really a great museum, not quite Udvar Hazy, but really good. Very much worth a visit.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Request for help here: in Heinlein's Green Hills of Earth the story mentions a spacecraft reactor operator "slapping the emergency discover" in response to a problem.

I have heard the term "discover" before and I think I know what it means, but searching around only gives me definitions of "discover" as a verb. Does anyone know of this term as a noun, and can you point me to a definition or show me a photo? I think it's basically a big button you push to sound an alarm or power something down, some kind of nautical term maybe.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Urwumpe said:
We have no culture. :lol:

I thought every town in Germany had its own variant of some weird sausage associated with it? Rennkuckuckwurst?

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Request for help here: in Heinlein's Green Hills of Earth the story mentions a spacecraft reactor operator "slapping the emergency discover" in response to a problem.

emergency discover = emergency disc cover?

Does the word show up in different printings?

EDIT: This particular question really does illustrate the limitations of syntax search, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
It might be some sort of indicator light, like those big incandescent lights you see on old 1940s equipment. I swear I've seen it outside of Heinlein writings. He must've gotten it from somewhere, and he was an old naval officer.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Or maybe it has to do with intercom signaling, as with a ship's engine order telegraph? Still finding nothing...

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

Or maybe it has to do with intercom signaling, as with a ship's engine order telegraph? Still finding nothing...

That doesn't ring a bell (no pun intended) with me.

I think you're out of luck unless you can get your hands on an old dead-tree encyclopedia or an old old dictionary. Any internet search using 'discover' just leads to "Discover the <X>!" 8 billion times, mostly on ads associated with the rest of the search term. So much for the internet haystack.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
That doesn't ring a bell (no pun intended) with me.

I think you're out of luck unless you can get your hands on an old dead-tree encyclopedia or an old old dictionary. Any internet search using 'discover' just leads to "Discover the <X>!" 8 billion times, mostly on ads associated with the rest of the search term. So much for the internet haystack.

Yeah, I get the same thing. Can't seem to track it down...

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
We had a massive train crash in southern Germany this morning, with four deaths, 15 with massive injuries and 40 with serious injuries. Over 100 passengers had been injured. Two regional trains by the same private operator crashed frontally on a single-track railway between Bad Aibling and Rosenheim, in the state of Bavaria.

(...)

EDIT: Looks like the cause was human error, the train dispatcher did disable the automatic signalling system for letting a train with delay pass, accidentally clearing the way for both trains on both ends of the one-track railroad.

My wife works with a guy who is responsible for installments of the security system. We both find it funny that a human with such a low position as the train dispatcher may override the system's settings. Also its dependency on red light is funny - as if it couldn't be independent: both trains passing, regardless of the light -> stop.
We find the punishment of the train dispatcher simply scapegoating. The true fool is on an upper position.

Last edited: