Humor Random Comments Thread

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The news on the radio today mentioned that organized crime is one possibility for the car bombing in Germany. Which made me think: I've heard of Russian, Chinese, Irish, Jewish, English, Mexican, Columbian, and of course Italian mobsters, but it never occurred to me that there would be German mobsters. I don't even...that doesn't...can't even think it...

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
The news on the radio today mentioned that organized crime is one possibility for the car bombing in Germany. Which made me think: I've heard of Russian, Chinese, Irish, Jewish, English, Mexican, Columbian, and of course Italian mobsters, but it never occurred to me that there would be German mobsters. I don't even...that doesn't...can't even think it...

It's because they're well organized... and don't brag. :cheers:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
It's Volkswagen covering its tracks. In the days to come it'll be revealed he was one of the head investigators for the bad emissions tests.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's Volkswagen covering its tracks. In the days to come it'll be revealed he was one of the head investigators for the bad emissions tests.

News is now saying that this looks like a murder, IRA car-bomb style.

The killed driver Mesut T. had a vivid past of drug dealing, counterfeiting money and illegal gambling, which suggests that some organized crime thing. The police is even suspecting that Mesut T. did just have bad luck and the attack aimed at another higher-ranked organized criminal.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Guido fuhr Guidomobil
Und der Guido lachte viel.
Ich wär gerne länger geblieben,
ich glaub wir haben Geschichte geschrieben.

They keep on dying. :(

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Relevant xkcd, sadly:
lanes.png

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Relevant xkcd, sadly:
lanes.png

It's even sadder if you know that there is a growing evidence that carcinogenesis has been misunderstood for decades and so the main research effort has been misdirected. The common wisdom is that cancer is caused by genetic mutations, however that link has only been positively demonstrated in <10% of cancer types and wrongly assumed to be universal [1]. It has been called in question only recently when widespread DNA sequencing of tumors revealed lack of expected mutations [2] resulting in renewed interest in non-genetic models of carcinogenesis [3,4]. It also did not help that the guy who was the first to point out that the mainstream theory on cancer origin is deficient does not believe that HIV causes AIDS [5], so advocating non-genetic origin of cancer was the surest way to have your career destroyed until very recently (arguably it still happens) by getting associated with a known crank. Unfortunately, both cancer and HIV research are highly politicized fields.

[1] http://bmccancer.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2407-14-331
[2] http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v506/n7489/full/nature13061.html
[3] http://bmccancer.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2407-14-186
[4] https://www.researchgate.net/post/Q...of_chronic_inflammatory_states_any_exceptions
[5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Duesberg

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Mrs. Cruiser and I really enjoyed seeing The Moody Blues last night. I wish they played a longer show, but when a band has 50 years worth of back-catalog it's hard to squeeze in all of the best stuff.

Blake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Mrs. Cruiser and I really enjoyed seeing The Moody Blues last night. I wish they played a longer show, but when a band has 50 years worth of back-catalog it's hard to squeeze in all of the best stuff.

Any band that can do a live show with 50 years of back-catalog deserves a:

:hailprobe:

I last saw them live when they were trying to get through 30 years of back-catalog.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'd heard them when I was younger and the parents were in to the green Army jacket and long hair hippie phase (Day of Future Past era). I started following them in the '80s and saw them in '86 (The Other Side of Life).
My step dad has been a fan prior to Justin Hayward joining the band, so he had to introduce me to the old stuff, while I introduced him to the new stuff.
Mighty good music.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Dear state ministry of traffic of Lower Saxony, should you plan blocking the A7 in one direction completely over night, make sure you don't do this on the first weekend of the Easter holidays in this state. Try to plan better in 2017.

(Not that I expect a huge traffic jam over night. But I wanted to drive into holidays during that time and now I need to travel cross country for the first hour for getting around the blockage)

Last edited:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Dear state ministry of traffic of Lower Saxony, should you plan blocking the A7 in one direction completely over night, make sure you don't do this on the first weekend of the Easter holidays in this state. Try to plan better in 2017.

(Not that I expect a huge traffic jam over night. But I wanted to drive into holidays during that time and now I need to travel cross country for the first hour for getting around the blockage)

That's okay. The DC Metro rail service shut down completely the other day for a safety inspection following an electrical fire on one of the lines, similar to the one that killed a passenger in a tunnel fire last year due to smoke inhalation.

The system has a new general manager and he's apparently making a splash. Someone said the DC Metro is the second largest subway system in the nation after NY City, so it was a huge traffic snarl.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The DC Metro rail service shut down completely the other day for a safety inspection
Like, the entire subway system at once?
Isn't that supposed to take a full regional power outage to cause that?

Why not do it one line/segment at a time?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
On a similar note:

Dear northern regional train service, I'll start to take your strikes more seriously when they're not always, consistently on Friday.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Like, the entire subway system at once?
Isn't that supposed to take a full regional power outage to cause that?

Why not do it one line/segment at a time?

They felt they had to check out all these cable junctions to make sure another fatal fire doesn't occur. The problem was supposedly fixed after last year's accident, but obviously someone did a halfass job of it.

But also, I think the new manager was trying to make a splash, so it was at least in part a publicity stunt outwardly, and inwardly he's trying to make sure his people take safety seriously.

Metro is a great subway system, very neat and clean compared to, say, New York's grimy system, but it's had some serious safety problems that last few years, including a giant collision in 2009 that killed and maimed dozens of people.

On top of that, the recent search for a new general manager was protracted; because of the politics involved in the job nobody wants it. They had to find a guy who's willing to do it right despite taking all the heat for unpopular decisions.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Computing without a computer is a contradiction in terms!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V2KvY-G0jY"]Isaac Asimov's A Feeling of Power - YouTube[/ame]

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We almost got taken out by a crypto-virus over the weekend...

It's kind of a strange feeling that somebody just attempted to burn down your house, there won't be an investigation, and the perpetrator most probably isn't aware he did it.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
We almost got taken out by a crypto-virus over the weekend...

It's kind of a strange feeling that somebody just attempted to burn down your house, there won't be an investigation, and the perpetrator most probably isn't aware he did it.

Who even is the perpetrator? The guy who wrote the code? The person that ran the server / botnet that sent you the e-mail (if you got it that way)? The person who managed the site where you clicked on a dodgy ad (if you got it that way)? The ad network that ran the ad? The person who submitted the ad to the ad network? The person who wrote the ad? The Russian mob boss(es) that run(s) the crime syndicate(s) that control(s) half of the above?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The one who wrote the code.
A computer virus is much more harm-oriented than a gun, you can't use it in self-defense or something, or make one by accident.
You made it, you are the one responsible.