Humor Random Comments Thread

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'm in two minds about it, Bugatti Or Thunderbirds...not sure.

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So it turns out that the 2 months delay of no man's sky was mostly due to Hello Games not having reached a settlement about the use of the word sky in the title with the company sky and having to reserve some time for a possible rebranding :facepalm: (they settled now, and they can trademark the title "no man's sky", which is no small feat. Apparently, the company is the reason why microsoft's onedrive isn't called skydrive). The legal battle seems to have been ongoing in the background of the development for almost 3 years now, but has never been made public because... well, all the internet trolls threatening to blow up sky might have lost them the war (Sean Murray jokingly twittered something along the lines of "On the positive side, they are probably the main reason why skynet never happened").

You know, I feel sorry for all you guys who have english as a first language. In fifty years or so you'll barely be able to talk without paying royalties... :shifty:

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Maybe Dick the butcher and Jack Cade were on to something?

(this post brought to you by hp business solutions)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
So, how can i trademark the word "the"?

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
A fun day disassembling and reassembling parts of my car. Key would no longer unlock the driver side door, so for the last several months I've been locking and unlocking by climbing through the passenger side. Bought a new lock cylinder, pulled apart the door and removed the old cylinder, took apart old cylinder, and luckily the worn tumbler plates were ones I could replace with ones that came with the new cylinder so I could use my old keys. Cleaned, greased, and re-assembled, no extra parts. Locked and unlocked the door a couple of dozen times just because I could.

I love that feeling of fixing something and putting things back in order. Ahhh...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A fun day disassembling and reassembling parts of my car. Key would no longer unlock the driver side door, so for the last several months I've been locking and unlocking by climbing through the passenger side. Bought a new lock cylinder, pulled apart the door and removed the old cylinder, took apart old cylinder, and luckily the worn tumbler plates were ones I could replace with ones that came with the new cylinder so I could use my old keys. Cleaned, greased, and re-assembled, no extra parts. Locked and unlocked the door a couple of dozen times just because I could.

I love that feeling of fixing something and putting things back in order. Ahhh...

Ahhh, the old days when you could actually fix your own car with simple tools and no worries about blowing yourself up with the stupid airbag.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I know the feeling. The satisfaction of a job well done. I only get that at work when my feed pumps run up after an outage. The brownie hounds usually get most of the glory, but most of them don't know (nor care) how the dirty/greasy/oil soaked equipment works.

(this post brought to you by BBC's Top Gear back when it was really good)

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Ahhh, the old days when you could actually fix your own car with simple tools and no worries about blowing yourself up with the stupid airbag.

I have a 2005 Honda Civic DX, manual windows and locks, 290k miles, drives like a champ. Just change the fluids and it just goes. It's been getting niggly little signs of age like worn locks, loose connections, etc. It's starting to rough idle when I start the car in the morning when the gas tank is low, so I suspect the fuel pump might be going bad. That's a pretty easy fix though on a Honda. The engine and drivetrain are solid.

I really don't want to buy a new one, but sooner or later it will have to happen.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Honda Civic DX, manual windows and locks, 290k miles, drives like a champ. Just change the fluids and it just goes. It's been getting niggly little signs of age like worn locks, loose connections, etc. It's starting to rough idle when I start the car in the morning when the gas tank is low, so I suspect the fuel pump might be going bad. That's a pretty easy fix though on a Honda. The engine and drivetrain are solid.

I really don't want to buy a new one, but sooner or later it will have to happen.

I have a 2005 GMC pickup with almost 200k miles on it and I stay on top of it. I predict it will need some major work at some point, but if it's done right it's worth it. It has all the features I like and few of the ones I don't (no stupid OnStar or other built-in spyware, for example) and I've driven it across the continent 3 times. I have no plans to replace it; it's the B-52 of trucks.

Sometime around the 90s or early 2000s car-makers started really getting serious about quality control and it shows. When I was growing up a car with 100k miles on it was pretty much considered done, especially an American car. Now all the major companies, not just the Japanese, are stepping up their game.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I will forever swear by late 80's/early 90's imports from Japan. They're basically indestructible. Change the oil regularly, and you're good.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Don't you just love the bean-counters with their planned obsolescense? The fit and finish of the products of today are very high. Be it a car, microwave, toaster or desk chair, they look great. For about a year or so, then the shiny wears off and the marketing dept releases pictures (or video) of the next model.

All part of the plan to separate you from your dollars & cents (pounds, shillings and pence).

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't you just love the bean-counters with their planned obsolescense? The fit and finish of the products of today are very high. Be it a car, microwave, toaster or desk chair, they look great. For about a year or so, then the shiny wears off and the marketing dept releases pictures (or video) of the next model.

All part of the plan to separate you from your dollars & cents (pounds, shillings and pence).

I've heard that theory for years and I don't really buy it. Like I said, modern cars last a lot longer than they used to mechanically. I think the difficulty of working on them is driven by efforts to make everything compact and by government safety regulations that mandate adding all sorts of devices and technology you don't really need just to have a working car.

As for finishes, those can be tricky things. But in general if you leave your car out in the hot sun and other weather it won't last as long as if you keep it in a garage.

There's a guy where I work who has a 10-15 year old Chevy suburban and for some reason the roof is rusted, like he parked it on the beach or something. Other trucks, same manufacturer, same time frame, look fine.

In Baltimore there's a chemical plant called Sparrow's Point. I knew someone who worked there, and the story was that if you worked there you had two cars: one for normal family driving, and a beater for driving to work, because sitting in the company parking lot meant your car's finish would get wrecked due to the chemical fallout from the plant.

Glad I don't work in a place like that, imagine what that does to your body after 30 years.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Yeah, luckily the EU is not allowing this the too obvious way, otherwise it would be far more extreme. I remember the fuzz some printer companies got here because they had a chip that made sure that you constantly need more resupply than necessary.