Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The swiss government finally decided to give up on the big software project to create an all-in-one solution for all government business that was in development for the better part of a decade. Total loss: About 175 million chf. Thanks, waterfall! :facepalm:

OUCH.

Never considered buying the software simply from commercial providers?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Isn't that pretty much the most common configuration for an 18-wheeler? (At least in the U.S.)

So that's why those get stolen so rarely! :lol:

Never considered buying the software simply from commercial providers?

I would assume they checked their specs against existing products and concluded that none of them fit the bill before they ordered a custom solution, but then you never know... :shifty:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would assume they checked their specs against existing products and concluded that none of them fit the bill before they ordered a custom solution, but then you never know... :shifty:

Well, I do customizing now, and I can hardly imagine a use case in a federal administration, that can't be covered by customizing an existing software for the special cases.

Sadly, I don't even know the requirements or use cases on the software.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Keep in mind that having "deployed a custom software solution for the entire administration" sounds a lot more impressive on a resumé than "bought a commercial software and was done with it".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sure, but "Made a successful transition to a new standard software for the whole administration. Project terminated in budget and schedule." sounds way more impressive.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Today could have been the RD-110 birthday of Sergey Korolev. ;)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm getting pretty fond of Intellij, but I'll never understand why the default keybinding for ctrl-y is "delete next line". It's like putting a self-destruct button where you'd expect the safety switch. :facepalm:

Oh well, let's git on with it...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I'm getting pretty fond of Intellij, but I'll never understand why the default keybinding for ctrl-y is "delete next line". It's like putting a self-destruct button where you'd expect the safety switch. :facepalm:

Oh well, let's git on with it...

It almost sounds like it's descended from vi's "yank line" command, but that is shift Y, not ctrl Y.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's a bit frustrating when you deliver a ziped-up software package to a customer, go through the trouble of including a readme in the root of the archive that documents the folder structure, has a short description what this particular part is used for and in which exact file in the zip the detailed documentation for that part can be found, then point out in the mail carrying the download link that all documentation is included and that their exact location is noted in the readme at the root of the file, and then have the customers developer sending you a mail asking you if there is any documentation.

I can only assume he somehow didn't get the whole file from the sysadmin.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I just realized Omelek Island is the only real-life example of a natural, near-equatorial island spaceport, compared to all the island spaceport add-ons for Orbiter.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Scrolling down the front page I looked to see who was online right this minute, and I see this:

"Currently Active Users: 104 (5 orbinauts and 99 guests) "

So there are 99 "guests"? Anyone have any idea how many of those are bots?

ON another forum I frequent the similar statistics actually break it down and count the bots, somehow. Someone was asking about it and one of the admins there said that some of the bots were web-crawler type things for search engines and such.

I'm clueless about how internet stuff works in general but I think it's funny that the "guests" outnumber the signed-in people by 20 to 1.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm clueless about how internet stuff works in general but I think it's funny that the "guests" outnumber the signed-in people by 20 to 1.

I'd expect most of them to be bots. Most people aren't aware of it, but by now the non-human population of the internet probably surpasses the human population. Programs are crawling the net day in day out for various reasons, search engine crawlers being only a small subset of them.

Our company firewall currently registers an average of one failed login attempt per minute. THat's all crawlers that just browse through ips until they find a signature of a device they know, then try to login using the factory-default password and move on if they can't get in. Somebody did an experiment lately of connecting a security camera with default password to a public ip. It took a whole 90 seconds until a bot loged in and installed a backdoor, presumably for later hijacking of the device in a DDOS attack (most devices used in recent large-scale DDOS attacks have been security cameras, ironically).

So those 99 guests are probably mostly bots that came by the OF-public IP, found nothing of interest and moved on, but it takes a while until their session expires.

And the morale of the story: always change your default password for net-facing devices before connecting them the first time, or you will be infected.

Last edited:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
This is how the Mirai botnet spread so quickly. Insecure IoT cameras have been responsible for 3 of the largest DDoS attacks ever seen.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
After the technical changes to the WRC for the 2017 season had been compared to the former Group B cars, the new season really starts to feel like the Group B era.

One spectator dead, after the car of Hayden Paddon lost control on ice and slipped into a hill. :dry:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
forum-chaos-hi-cmyk.jpg

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
After standing in the rain in the middle of a field for ten minutes one time too many over the last month of tweaking and antenna making, here are the images pulled off the METEOR-M2 weather satellite today.

I'm under the cloud bank in the lower middle part of the coast, so you can guess why it was raining. :)
YXcjLta.jpg

The thing does not have a real color camera, so there are many ways to mix the channels (0.5-0.7, 0.7-0.11, 1.6-1.8, 3.5-4.1, 10.5-11.5, 11.5-12.5 nm):
baH7dSk.jpg

With a spice if IR:
95Ln7cg.jpg

And for actual weather, thermal:
tnDobI7.jpg

AFAIK, the colder the cloud is, the higher it is, and sharp high clouds tend to be thunderstorms, so there are quite a few of them in progress now.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Next up: Artlav steals classified transmissions from spy satelites and becomes enemy of the state.
Or he makes first contact with aliens... :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Next up: Artlav steals classified transmissions from spy satelites and becomes enemy of the state.
Or he makes first contact with aliens... :lol:

Or Artlav discovers a disturbance in the satellite signals, which he interprets as a countdown...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh darn. Artlav, please tell me you have a girlfriend close to Putin, otherwise we're all screwed!