Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Interesting thing I learned this week: Apparently my natural mode of debugging has an official name, which would be Rubber Duck Debugging.

Just that I never used an actual rubber duck for it. I'm used to argue with myself... :shifty:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Nearly 60 F here today, but my school already cancelled school for tomorrow owing to an expected snowstorm. Four day weekend! (today was my normal prep day).

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Interesting thing I learned this week: Apparently my natural mode of debugging has an official name, which would be Rubber Duck Debugging.

Just that I never used an actual rubber duck for it. I'm used to argue with myself... :shifty:

My method is called "rubber hose debugging". Or as Captain Tagon said it "equipment that can't perform gets replaced. Equipment that won't perform gets abused until it will, or until it can't".

See also "rubber hose cryptanalysis".

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The disarmed bomb before transporting it away for disposal:

wol_error.gif
Click this bar to view the full image.
media-00j02hegr64ox7v944q32z

So what model is that bomb? Is it American, British, or what?

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Based off the shape, I'm going to wager British.

I agree, this is a photo of a British WWII-era GP bomb. American bomb designs all seem to have straighter sides, although it's really hard to find info on this stuff. If you want to look up info on aerial weapons like missiles its everywhere, but dumb bombs don't seem to generate the same level of interest in research.

Royal_Air_Force_Bomber_Command%2C_1942-1945._CH17883.jpg

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My method is called "rubber hose debugging". Or as Captain Tagon said it "equipment that can't perform gets replaced. Equipment that won't perform gets abused until it will, or until it can't".

Sounds more like a development paradigm than a debugging strategy... :lol:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
In other news, Boeing is seriously considering a "797" to fill the gap left between the 737 MAX and the 787... or in other words, a replacement for the 757.

http://www.seattletimes.com/busines...m_medium=social&utm_campaign=article_left_1.1

What's old is new, reminds me of the L1011 TriStar.

You know, when I was a little kid I always imagined a Boeing 797 would be some sort of hypersonic beast, maybe suborbital or even orbital. The Pan Am clipper in 2001: A Apace Odyssey? That's what I figured a 797 would look like someday.

Oh well...back to my non-flying car and my non-robot-cleaned house and laundry now. At least we have things like smart phones and Alexa that make us feel cool while corporations and governments use them to track and spy on us. [sigh]

steph

Reaction score
here's a weird one: my neighbours have been renovating their appartment, so a big drill machine has been operating there today (don't know what for ,not interested ) . Every time that thing starts up (it's a big one, I can hear it despite the music booming in my headphones. ), my laptop loses the wireless connection. Some sort of electromagnetiic interference at work? I'd say it's not related to the power supply, since everything (including the router) seems to be working fine.
And it's happened like five times already , so I'm pretty sure it's related

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Some sort of electromagnetiic interference at work?

Possible, since large drills lack full EMC. But your SNR should be pretty weak at your computer, if the EMPs of a large electric motor operating can disturb it. I would say a dirty power supply is more likely because of the drilling.

steph

Reaction score
Does the disturbance last only while the drill is spinning up or for its entire operation?
It's worse when it starts up. The router is still visible on the wi-fi list. Eh..probably interference. Too bad my phone doesn't have a magnetic sensor. I would've loved seeing the activity with that Tricorder app.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Hmmm... Do you have an old cassette player laying around gathering dust? There's a remarkably sensitive magnetic sensor there. It's possible that you could rig that to feed the data to the phone. :hmm:
Might have to dig out the plans for that light listener and see if it could be converted to run a magnetic sensor instead of the light sensor...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Imagine looking for fireflies in the field at the darkness of the early night, the stars above twinkling, and the "stars" at the horizon blinking, a cold breeze pleasant after a hot day, mosquito repellent doing it's job perfectly...
Then some drolldoodle sweeps a vintage anti-air carbon arc searchlight across the field, straight into your eyes.

That's what it feels like to be that wi-fi receiver when that jammer of a big-ass brushed motor (aka spark gap transmitter) revs up nearby.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Imagine looking for fireflies in the field at the darkness of the early night, the stars above twinkling, and the "stars" at the horizon blinking, a cold breeze pleasant after a hot day, mosquito repellent doing it's job perfectly...
Then some drolldoodle sweeps a vintage anti-air carbon arc searchlight across the field, straight into your eyes.

That's what it feels like to be that wi-fi receiver when that jammer of a big-ass brushed motor (aka spark gap transmitter) revs up nearby.

And who says scientists aren't poetic.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
here's a weird one: my neighbours have been renovating their appartment, so a big drill machine has been operating there today (don't know what for ,not interested ) . Every time that thing starts up (it's a big one, I can hear it despite the music booming in my headphones. ), my laptop loses the wireless connection. Some sort of electromagnetiic interference at work? I'd say it's not related to the power supply, since everything (including the router) seems to be working fine.
And it's happened like five times already , so I'm pretty sure it's related
They're drilling into ancient burial grounds and causing spirits to manifest as electromagnetic disturbances... Maybe? :p