Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, yeah, I went for the absolute worst-case scenario to drive home the point about what happens when unserviced jobs start to accumulate in memory until the server thrashes itself to death on swap. I'm not sure every step in that chain has ever happened all together, but certainly large chunks of it have. But still, even if the public doesn't know what you do, if the failure of your product leads to somebody having a PR disaster, even if that organization doesn't know who you are or what you do, they'll give their vendors grief, who will in turn give their vendors grief, until somebody who knows what you do gives you grief (and you get to bring out the 2 year old ticket). Crap, after hitting the proverbial fan, always rolls down the proverbial hill.

Well, as I said: Until there is an investigation finding out that this software existed and who developed it, the bug was likely fixed already in the past. :lol: Not sure if this still applies...

In a few weeks, the first customer user certificates will expire... guess who will have some (microwave) popcorn at work on that day. We had written how to create them properly into the operations manual, but I did not mention our extra services that the customer did not want to pay....

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 00:27 ----------

How you can prove as nationalist political party, that you have no idea what goes in in your immediate neighborhood:

Hang two posters in a short road in an industrial area. One championing small businesses in favor of big international companies. The other ranting against ethnic diversity.

There are two major businesses in that road and a collector of old construction machines.
Both companies in that road owned by big international parent companies (One Indian, one French)
Both had been considered large enterprises for the past 15 years.
Both companies work worldwide in the IT business (One does hardware, the other software and consulting)
Both companies have a very high diversity among their employees.

Location, location, location... :facepalm::lol:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So... How do you :censored: something up as good as Game of thrones season 8? Like, even if you were trying, how?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So... How do you :censored: something up as good as Game of thrones season 8? Like, even if you were trying, how?

By making the long expected main battle of the series look like a cheap ripoff of LOTR?

By violating the Chekovs Gun rule too often?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I heard the show had overtaken the books by now, and instead of the author's carefully constructed world you get a random scriptwriter's fan fiction.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
By making the long expected main battle of the series look like a cheap ripoff of LOTR?

I could have forgiven that one if the rest was any good. But accuratio ex machina and insania ex machina definitely killed it...

I heard the show had overtaken the books by now, and instead of the author's carefully constructed world you get a random scriptwriter's fan fiction.

They have passed the source material a while ago, and it showed, but it just about kept afloat. But I have seen fan fiction that was written way better than season 8. This is threshold levels of bad, all the way through.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I could have forgiven that one if the rest was any good. But accuratio ex machina and insania ex machina definitely killed it...

Well, luckily its the final season.

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

We have a strange case of murder-suicide right now in Germany... five victims now. Three of them killed in a hotel in Passau, Bavaria by crossbow. Two last wills have been found there. Two had been found lying in a bed, holding hands and hit by multiple bolts. The youngest victim (30) was found on the floor, hit by a single bolt. Three crossbows have been found in the hotel.
Two others died in Wittingen, Lower Saxony, in the flat of one of the 30 year old victim, a teacher. The 53 year old men among the bavarian victims was from the Westerwald region, the other woman was 33 years old.
Three had been members of a club that reenacted medival tournaments. The two in lower saxony had been relatives of the 30 year old, one local newspaper says a sister of the teacher.
The case was already weird with just three victims in a hotel in Bavaria. But now it is getting crazy. :blink:
And what makes it more weird - the victims seem to come all from places that I call my home right now.

OK... more strange now after getting some information...

The three victims in Bavaria are ALL from Westerwald. The 30 year old moved to Lower Saxony in March this year, because of a relation to a woman there. The victims in Wittingen are the lover and her sister it seems. There seems to be a relation to a medieval shop in Hachenburg. The team of the shop was still posting pictures on Facebook from a festival in Hessia a few days before the events and was looking forward to a tournament in two weeks.

On one hand it looks like some weird suicide case. Or like a relationship crime. But in combination, it just makes no sense. Some sort of a Chewbacca defense case.

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Well, luckily its the final season.

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

We have a strange case of murder-suicide right now in Germany... five victims now. Three of them killed in a hotel in Passau, Bavaria by crossbow. Two last wills have been found there. Two had been found lying in a bed, holding hands and hit by multiple bolts. The youngest victim (30) was found on the floor, hit by a single bolt. Three crossbows have been found in the hotel.
Two others died in Wittingen, Lower Saxony, in the flat of one of the 30 year old victim, a teacher. The 53 year old men among the bavarian victims was from the Westerwald region, the other woman was 33 years old.
Three had been members of a club that reenacted medival tournaments. The two in lower saxony had been relatives of the 30 year old, one local newspaper says a sister of the teacher.
The case was already weird with just three victims in a hotel in Bavaria. But now it is getting crazy. :blink:
And what makes it more weird - the victims seem to come all from places that I call my home right now.

OK... more strange now after getting some information...

The three victims in Bavaria are ALL from Westerwald. The 30 year old moved to Lower Saxony in March this year, because of a relation to a woman there. The victims in Wittingen are the lover and her sister it seems. There seems to be a relation to a medieval shop in Hachenburg. The team of the shop was still posting pictures on Facebook from a festival in Hessia a few days before the events and was looking forward to a tournament in two weeks.

On one hand it looks like some weird suicide case. Or like a relationship crime. But in combination, it just makes no sense. Some sort of a Chewbacca defense case.

Do you have a link to any news articles? English or German?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Do you have a link to any news articles? English or German?

https://www.ww-kurier.de/artikel/78...ustdrama---zwei-stammen-aus-der-vg-hachenburg

https://www.focus.de/panorama/welt/...che-der-drei-leichen-klaeren_id_10701785.html

And more outdated:

https://www.dw.com/en/mysterious-death-scene-in-guesthouse-baffles-bavaria-police/a-48703851

There are no signs of a fight, two of the victims in Passau had been killed by a shot through the heart. Strangely, there are also later shots fired at them. The shooter died by a likely self-inflicted shot through the neck. There is no evidence of a fourth person in the room.

The one victim in lower saxony was not the sister of the lover, but actually, as it is reported now, the sister of the 30 year old shooter.

There are no signs of violence on the victims in Lower Saxony, they have NOT been shot.

EDIT:

And some corrections in the next press conference... all victims initially come from the same region of Germany, the police cryptically speaks about something life-changing happening in 2017. The 35 year old was the teacher, the 19 year old victim was not the sister of anybody - the police is currently investigating if somebody reported her missing. The two victims have already been dead for days.

The 53 year old man is now confirmed as the owner of the medieval store in Hachenburg. There are some media statements by a former landlord around about a fatal menage a trois there, the man introduced himself initially as psychologist and signed the renting contract together with his wife - this wife was then never seen again. Instead a lesbian couple appeared next to him, which he seemed to dominate. A private investigator later appeared and asked questions about the lesbian couple, who was contracted by the parents of them.

It gets some touch of a cult there, like a cheap copy-cat version of Charles Manson. I wonder if there are more victims around.

Last edited:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
So after deciding to re watch "Henry V" and "Much Ado About Nothing" as an adult (after been forced to study them at school a long time ago) this weekend. I suddenly came to realise why I like Thor. Kenneth Branagh and Patrick Doyle... Doyles score always seems to enhance the dialog and not over whelm it.

steph

Reaction score
The crossbow thing might be related to GoT, especially since it occured during the airing of season 8. One of the most iconic killings in the series is done with a crossbow (Tyrion Lannister killing his father) And there was another dude who loved torturing whores with crossbows (I think it was Bolton's bastard, though I might be wrong) .

Edit: If the author has indeed commited suicide, at least it's done. As far as the reasons...they were surely part of some medieval reeneactment group with sadistic tendencies. Or perhaps a BDSM group with medieval motifs? :p There should surely be others in some internet community, embarassed to give details out of fear of being found out.
As far as weirdness and insanity, it's pretty much on par with the suicidal twin sisters case https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_and_Sabina_Eriksson

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Probably doesn't warrant its own thread, but an F-16 crashed into a warehouse in California.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/16-crashed-end-runway-march-reserve-afb/story?id=63090887

No serious injuries.
There are some photos and video available from warehouse workers.

There was only a small fire which was evidently put out by the warehouse sprinkler system.

The aircraft had some sort of armament (likely missiles). Also likely to contain hydrazine and other nasty things you don't want to breathe.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The aircraft had some sort of armament (likely missiles). Also likely to contain hydrazine and other nasty things you don't want to breathe.

25l of Hydrazine - enough to contaminate the building.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Probably doesn't warrant its own thread, but an F-16 crashed into a warehouse in California.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/16-crashed-end-runway-march-reserve-afb/story?id=63090887

No serious injuries.
There are some photos and video available from warehouse workers.

There was only a small fire which was evidently put out by the warehouse sprinkler system.

25l of Hydrazine - enough to contaminate the building.

Correct on both counts. The aircraft was from the 114th Fighter Wing out of Sioux Falls, SD, and was forward deployed to March ARB as part of an Air Defense mission. This is a regular occurrence, and the aircraft do sit at Alert 5 or similar status at all times.
Hydrazine is used for the Emergency Power Unit in the event of an engine failure. That would not have helped in this instance, as it appears that the entire hydraulic system went down, necessitating an immediate ejection from the pilot.
Pilot was released after a visit to the hospital, and varying reports as to the count of bystanders on the ground who suffered minor injuries. All in all, a rather benign accident, property damage notwithstanding.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...march-air-reserve-base-in-southern-california

D6ugbriUcAEE5GI.jpg

[ame="http://twitter.com/i/status/1129202859642380298"]Doug Dunbar on Twitter: "Video of #F16 moments before it crashed through the roof of a California warehouse. Pilot ejected.… "[/ame]

It looks like the pilot ejected shortly before landing, and the plane went ballistic over I-215 and into the building.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Anyone want to speculate on how that plane didn't absolutely burst into flame upon impact?
Very low fuel?
Limited damage to fuel tanks due to a "cushioned" landing?
Sheer luck that ignition sources didn't contact large amounts of fuel?

I'm not sure how large the fire that occurred was, but reports sound like it was really not much.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Anyone want to speculate on how that plane didn't absolutely burst into flame upon impact?
Very low fuel?

I'm not sure how large the fire that occurred was, but reports sound like it was really not much.

Well, it did crash through the roof, which is where the fire sprinkler lines are, so it probably broke two, three, or even four of those lines on its way down. And having seen first hand just how much water even one broken line can release after being hit with a forklift, I'm pretty sure that any fires that did get started on impact were pretty promptly put out by the deluge from above. Any fires that did start were probably outside of the range of that water spray.
Also, the fires that you usually see after jet crashes happen because the engine came apart and spat turbine blades through a cloud of fuel droplets. JP-8 fuel generally requires either deliberate intent, or one heck of an energetic event, to light off. It's got a very high flash point, even for jet fuel.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Very low fuel?

Kerosene/jet fuel is essentially a very light fuel oil. It burns nicely when atomized but isn't especially volatile. Most MSDS sheets for kerosene state explosive vapor-air mixtures really won't form until you get above 37 C or so.

F-16s are combat aircraft and have self-sealing tanks for moderate puncture damage. They aren't fire-proof, but are generally engineered to not burst into flames at the slightest provocation. I'd assume the tanks were pretty full on takeoff, not empty, which probably actually helped.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I'd assume the tanks were pretty full on takeoff, not empty, which probably actually helped.

That's the thing, though: From where everything landed after the ejection, he was on the way back to the runway, and was actually just about to land. I mean, the cockpit canopy and the parachute were both on the runway overrun, and the building that got hit is pretty much even with the end of the normal runway surface.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
That's what the news report said that I'd seen. Pilot was on his way back after a mission. Landing (attempt), not a takeoff.

Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory.