Humor Random Comments Thread

clipper

Reaction score
If you're refering to the Kosova conflict, as somebody who worked 10 years in the Balkans, I can tell you there was a lot more to it than just that...
just like @Urwumpe pointed out I'm actually referring to Desert Fox which I linked in the text but I'm guessing it's not quite visible due to text color

here's the excerpt from the link for reference: On December 16, 1998, President Bill Clinton announces he has ordered air strikes against Iraq because it refused to cooperate with United Nations (U.N.) weapons inspectors. Clinton’s decision did not have the support of key members of Congress, who accused Clinton of using the air strikes to direct attention away from ongoing impeachment proceedings against him. Just the day before, the House of Representatives had issued a report accusing Clinton of committing “high crimes and misdemeanors” related to the Monica Lewinsky scandal, in which Clinton had—and then lied about—an illicit sexual liaison with an intern in the Oval Office.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Does anybody already have some opinion on "The Orbital Children"?

I watched the first episode yesterday night, while its general presentation might get me terribly close to diabetes (like 99% of all animes do), the science fiction world building around it is good, maybe a bit too conventional, the depiction of space pretty good, the spacecraft design close enough to the present (Calling SpaceX Starships an inspiration might be a major understatement) to make the world feel like a plausible evolution of our present.

The director and writer of the series is Mitsuo Iso, some people here might remember this name from other science-fiction themed animes.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does anybody already have some opinion on "The Orbital Children"?
The physics are very good, their idea of electronic warfare is... bizarre to say the least, the political and legal worldbuilding makes gundam-levels of nonsense, and the characters seem hellbent on making the most annoyingly incomprehensible decisions (also a lot like gundam). I'm not a fan, unfortunately. Was having some hopes for this.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

This happens often enough not to be news, but usually only in pairs. Can't remember when four aircraft were intercepted.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just a couple of Bears yesterday, but the Western Approaches are getting busy:

Just make sure the japanese torpedo boats are not fishing there this time.

North_Sea_Incident_1904_-_Memorial_-_geograph.org.uk_-_264822.jpg

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes that didn't end well.

I read the USS Roosevelt is also in the English Channel.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
French President Emmanuel Macron is going to Ukraine and Russia next week, to talk with both Zelensky and Putin.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
French President Emmanuel Macron is going to Ukraine and Russia next week, to talk with both Zelensky and Putin.

Same for Olaf Scholz, who suddenly reappeared after his mysterious disappearance.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Comparing the size of d***s at the back of innocent people. Homo sapiens will very likely never be any different...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah. I see this on a regular basis at work. Humans...

We should kill them all and replace them by AIs. Its better for this planet. Nothing good arises if you combine a brain with the ability to fly to the moon with reptilian instincts and emotions. No AI would go on a killing spree because another AI discovered its flaws.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, we don't know yet, do we... :cautious:

Would make a good plot for a science fiction movie. What about letting an AI kill the crew of a spacecraft to prevent them from discovering that the AI is failing in its programming. Maybe put some more mystery to it, like weird monoliths appearing on the moon.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This is an interesting paradox because an AI that would have "feelings" would indeed be very advanced and very close from being an actual being, and not only a machine.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is an interesting paradox because an AI that would have "feelings" would indeed be very advanced and very close from being an actual being, and not only a machine.
If our experience with AI so far has taught us anything, then it's that you don't need emotions to act irrationally. All it needs are some neural connections getting wired more strongly than they were supposed to...
In fact, I think AI development will be (and already kind of is, it's just not widely known) the ultimate downfall for the argument that human emotion is a liability. AI safety experts are already trying to solve problems that have very close parallels to human psychology, all without a single emotion. It's our bloody neural nets that's causing most of the issues, emotions are merely one input into that. An input that, as AI development shows us, can be replaced by almost any reward/penalty stimulation, and it'll cause the same addiction and avoidance patterns in the neural network.

Last edited:

clipper

Reaction score
In the last two weeks, the number of battalion tactical groups (BTG) in the border region has risen to 83 from 60 as of Friday and 14 more are in transit, the officials told Reuters on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the information. As to the timing of an invasion, the ground is expected to reach peak freeze around Feb. 15, the officials said, allowing for off-road mechanized transit by Russian military units. Such conditions would continue until the end of March.

It's going to be a long winter.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's going to be a long winter.

I don't think so. If Russia really wanted to attack, they would have done that before we even knew about it. The element of surprise is essential to modern warfare : that's the difference between WWI and WWII, when Germany defeated in a few days the French army which held strong fortifications and was superior on paper.