Humor Random Comments Thread

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Promo from Bystrup.

Dosen't mention maintenance unfortunately. By the look of it, not designed for climbing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
#Worldle #55 3/6 (100%)
?⬜⬜⬜⬜↗️
????⬜↗️
??????

When the first guess was right, but you still go for Falkland Islands because you have forgotten what the name of "Spitzbergen" in English.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This time it was fairly easy. One of the hotspots of WW2, the Solomon Islands, especially "the slot" was easily recognizable.

#Worldle #56 1/6 (100%)
??????

steph

Reaction score
I don't get it. Downloaded Starcraft , just for old time's sake. The installation file is a bit over 5Gb. Back in the day , warcraft 2 was like 30 Mb. My entire hard drive had 6 Gb, and I had countless games including Starcraft. And it's not a scam, as it's going through the battlenet downloader. It's not the remastered version either, unfortunately.
But it just feels like they're getting sloppy and simply make the user download some huge files over the net.

A while ago I bought Forza Horizon 5. I'm so-so into racing, but the appeal of a huge open world was too much. I got it on DVD, despite being more expensive than simply downloading it. Not to mention having to find a game shop that had it on DVD, since most were basically selling download codes. I get home, plug it in, and , surprise , 100 Gb update or the game won't run..

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't get it. Downloaded Starcraft , just for old time's sake. The installation file is a bit over 5Gb. Back in the day , warcraft 2 was like 30 Mb. My entire hard drive had 6 Gb, and I had countless games including Starcraft. And it's not a scam, as it's going through the battlenet downloader. It's not the remastered version either, unfortunately.
But it just feels like they're getting sloppy and simply make the user download some huge files over the net.

A while ago I bought Forza Horizon 5. I'm so-so into racing, but the appeal of a huge open world was too much. I got it on DVD, despite being more expensive than simply downloading it. Not to mention having to find a game shop that had it on DVD, since most were basically selling download codes. I get home, plug it in, and , surprise , 100 Gb update or the game won't run..

I think the difference is the version (It includes the Brood War extension), on which the download is based on AND the use of a "newer" engine. Yes, its an absurdly huge download for something that once fitted on two CD-ROMs. But, I can imagine where the "extra-weight" is coming from. And if its for free, you can't expect much work in optimizing the file size, it will likely be closer to a shipable development version than actually something that went through a full release process.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What I'd really like to see is a swimming contest in a swimming pool built in a lunar base. How would water behave with 1/6th G and how well would the swimmers float ? Might be quite a pandemonium. Fascinating. ?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Kinda funny thing I just noticed. Intellij idea's english spellchecker knows all the words "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet", but none of the words "consectetur adipisici elit"...
Apparently coders are expected to only need half a sentence of placeholder text... ?‍♂️

Linguofreak

Reaction score
The text is well known enough that the title "lorem ipsum" is bound to be included in any spell checker, and "ipsum" itself appears in a number of borrowed phrases from Latin. "Sit" is an English word in its own right and "dolor" exists as a borrowed (though uncommon) word. The only word I'd be surprised to find in a dictionary that didn't explicitly include the opening to lorem ipsum would be "amet", which is fairly short. After the comma, "consectetur" is a more complex word that is obviously Latin and doesn't occur in any common borrowed phrases, and "adipiscing" and "elit" were deliberately mangled to make nonsense out of the original Latin text lorem ipsum was lifted from.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
G3_31Mar2022_TopNews.jpg

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/g3-strong-geomagnetic-storm-watch-now-effect-31-march-2022

A G3 (Strong) geomagnetic storm watch is now in effect for 31 March, 2022. A second, faster Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) erupted later on 28 March associated with an M1 flare at 3:23 pm EDT (1923 UTC). Analyses indicated the CME speed as approximately 841 km/s, and model guidance suggests this CME will overtake the day’s earlier CME and arrive during the early evening of 30 March into early morning of 31 March (EDT). Forecast confidence of an Earth-directed component is good, with moderate confidence of timing and intensity. Additionally, a G1 (Minor) watch is in effect for 30 March, 2022, for likely effects of initial CME shock arrival and a G2 (Moderate) watch is in effect for 1 April, 2022, in anticipation of continuing, but weakening, CME influences. When the CME approaches Earth, NOAA’s DSCOVR satellite will detect the real-time solar wind changes and SWPC forecasters will issue any appropriate warnings. Impacts to technology from a G3 storm generally remain small, but it can drive the aurora further equatorward of its polar home. Aurora may be visible over the northern tier states if the conditions are favorable.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Bruce Willis retires at 67, after aphasia diagnosis. I'd say he is one of the actors I sort of grew with in the 1990's :salute:

His filmography includes Armaggedon (1998), a thriller where he plays an oil rig operator / astronaut that has to use a Space Shuttle to save the World from a nasty asteroid. Not extremely realistic but entertaining.

Aphasia is a constellation of symptoms that make it difficult or impossible to express or comprehend language. The disorder stems from damage to the parts of the brain that are responsible for language functions, which are typically housed on the left side of the brain. Aphasia can be devastating for patients, disrupting their ability to take part in everyday life.

All cases of aphasia stem from neurological changes in the brain. Strokes resulting in brain damage are the number-one cause, said Dr. Shazam Hussain, director of the Cerebrovascular Center at Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. But it can also be caused by degenerative conditions like dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, other triggers include brain injuries, including from severe blows to the head; brain tumors; gunshot wounds and brain infections.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
When Orbiter is really teaching you things....

#Worldle #75 1/6 (100%) ?
??????

Somalia - even rotated, its still easy to spot the small, but prominent peninsula of Ras Hafun. I once wanted to place an African spaceport there, it is a pretty good location, without the perpetual civil war around it.