Humor Random Comments Thread

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
The statement "I love you" sounds and feels great. But one should always keep in mind, that it doesn't really mean something (anymore) at the end of a day, once that day has come. And it will come, like the next shower of rain. The only exception is the love of parents to their children, which I think is the only true one (in most cases). The human world is so ephemeral (just like everything else in the universe I guess). It's very terrifying. It always reminds me why I am more interested in stuff/things/hobbies rather than too many social contacts and relationships.

Wilbur Wright once said he hasn't got enough time for both, airplanes and a wife (and never got in his life). One can argue about it for sure. But it might not be the worst dilemma when I look around (and back).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The statement "I love you" sounds and feels great. But one should always keep in mind, that it doesn't really mean something (anymore) at the end of a day, once that day has come. And it will come, like the next shower of rain. The only exception is the love of parents to their children, which I think is the only true one (in most cases). The human world is so ephemeral (just like everything else in the universe I guess). It's very terrifying. It always reminds me why I am more interested in stuff/things/hobbies rather than too many social contacts and relationships.

Wilbur Wright once said he hasn't got enough time for both, airplanes and a wife (and never got in his life). One can argue about it for sure. But it might not be the worst dilemma when I look around (and back).

Words are easy. It takes nothing to say "I love you" (And still people say it far to seldom in their life.). And much easier it is to claim that "You love it". A thing, that doesn't give a damn about you, but which you can feed and care about, spend your lifetime and money for and still.... it won't care, if somebody else does it. A car won't tell you, that you are its only loved driver. Its futile and fleeting. Or what about the love of God, that is quickly said, but shows itself often in the most abusive gaslighting possible.

Really loving somebody is hard. What is love? Is there something like one love? Or is this love something that only exists between people and can't be reproduced like a mass product? But there is no guarantee, that you will be loved back. Or this love getting communicated in a language, that you understand as love. And still, if you love somebody, shouldn't you learn his or hers language, too?

But on the other hand, this defined unclarity of love gives you a gift: There are infinite ways to love. If you want to and it doesn't take you much to get started. You just need to love.

For myself I can tell you, after realizing what my hate can do to me, I'd choose love in any situation. Even if its the hard way. Even if it makes me sad sometimes. Even if choosing this way makes it even clearer, how hateful other people are and still claim they can love.

Love saves me.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The only exception is the love of parents to their children, which I think is the only true one
Do you have kids? Parent-child relationships turn out to be the most complicated, convoluted, ambivalent and conflicted kind of relationship I ever encountered. Half of the time, you're hanging on out of sheer stubbornness and obligation...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Do you have kids? Parent-child relationships turn out to be the most complicated, convoluted, ambivalent and conflicted kind of relationship I ever encountered. Half of the time, you're hanging on out of sheer stubbornness and obligation...

And because you never know, what happens next....

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
No, I don't have kids. But I'm a kid of someone else and very lucky with it.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Trust me, you see the world with different eyes, when you suddenly relive your own childhood from your parents POV. :D

Having seen other people's kids, and how they'll just leave a sticky treat in random not-very-clean places, one of my questions is "how did I not have an upset stomach every day?"

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Trust me, you see the world with different eyes, when you suddenly relive your own childhood from your parents POV. :D
Well, I'm not referring to childhood really. But more to the fact that, at least in my case, my parents are the only beings that will be always there for me as long as they live (and vice versa). Especially my mother does never hesitate to mention this on a regular basis.

Words are easy. It takes nothing to say "I love you" (And still people say it far to seldom in their life.). And much easier it is to claim that "You love it". A thing, that doesn't give a damn about you, but which you can feed and care about, spend your lifetime and money for and still.... it won't care, if somebody else does it. A car won't tell you, that you are its only loved driver. Its futile and fleeting. Or what about the love of God, that is quickly said, but shows itself often in the most abusive gaslighting possible.

Really loving somebody is hard. What is love? Is there something like one love? Or is this love something that only exists between people and can't be reproduced like a mass product? But there is no guarantee, that you will be loved back. Or this love getting communicated in a language, that you understand as love. And still, if you love somebody, shouldn't you learn his or hers language, too?

But on the other hand, this defined unclarity of love gives you a gift: There are infinite ways to love. If you want to and it doesn't take you much to get started. You just need to love.

For myself I can tell you, after realizing what my hate can do to me, I'd choose love in any situation. Even if its the hard way. Even if it makes me sad sometimes. Even if choosing this way makes it even clearer, how hateful other people are and still claim they can love.

Love saves me.
Yeah. Love is hard to define. There are different kinds also. It's "just" a feeling, like luck. But next: what is luck?

At least the love between man and wife is something that seems to feel similar among our species, and in most cases independent from culture I guess. Otherwise there wouldn't be the concept of marriage and twosomeness all over the globe. The existence and families that originate from such relationships can be powerful and meaningful. But it also can collapse as quick as buildings during an earthquake. Especially once female hormones start to get out of control...

While I was younger I also never understood when adults and older people said to me, that sexuality is not Alpha and Omega and not really "love". Meanwhile I know what they mean. But again, yes, it's hard to explain exactly.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But more to the fact that, at least in my case, my parents are the only beings that will be always there for me as long as they live (and vice versa). Especially my mother does never hesitate to mention this on a regular basis.
I do understand what you mean, and I do agree that it is love. The thing I was getting at is that it only seems as pure and unambiguous from the view of the child (if they have good parents at least, which I'm not sure yet I qualify as... I'll start to find out in another 10 years or so). And it's not because they're children, it's because they're not parents, so it doesn't really have to do with age. You rapidly start re-interpreting and re-contextualising your whole childhood once you become a parent yourself. It's just a thing that happens.

That's why I was wondering whether you had kids. Because once you have, you realise how messy and ambivalent this whole kind of love actually is, something you simply don't realise without living it. It is on the one hand disillusioning, but on the other hand also hopeful. No, the love of parents to their children is not really any more pure than others. It is stronger because it's upheld by an unbreakable obligation that you pretty much can't get out of no matter how much you want to. That's also a thing you only truly realise once you have kids... Parenting is a prison, and it's all the more stronger for convincing you that jailbreaking makes you a horrible person. Which it does, but I doubt there's a parent on earth that never fantasized about it.
But, and that's the hopeful part, all that does in fact mean that love isn't dead. It is, in the end, a matter of commitment.

Especially once female hormones start to get out of control...
I... uhm... err... There's so much wrong with this one, I don't even know how to start responding to it...

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I... uhm... err... There's so much wrong with this one, I don't even know how to start responding to it...

Smile and wave. Smile and wave.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But next: what is luck?

Much worse. Try to teach an AI what is fun.

Especially once female hormones start to get out of control...

Please read this now in the old cowboy voice: "All the female hormones in the world can't help you, if you made errors." And nobody blames this on male hormones, well, mostly. Again: Love is also dedication and the willingness to understand each other.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
I can tell you, from my own experience: if you are in a relationship, and your wife/girlfriend enters her climacteric period, be prepared. That is something (puberty is nothing in comparison; and there is no such thing as male menopause) ;)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
and there is no such thing as male menopause
And we might actually have figured out the female one. As that gender medicine is ramping up and research stops treating every person on earth as a male in their 30ies, some interesting things are coming to light. For one, there's good evidence that the menopausal moodswings are mostly related to lack of sleep, in turn induced by lower melatonin production. A lot can be helped by just taking melatonin. There might not be a male menopause, but from military service I know that men get just as moody and irrational as women when they don't get enough sleep...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can tell you, from my own experience: if you are in a relationship, and your wife/girlfriend enters her climacteric period, be prepared. That is something (puberty is nothing in comparison; and there is no such thing as male menopause) ;)

Oh deer.

Pray, that you NEVER experience puberty as parent.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And to get back to random comments:
In my head canon, the common shorthand "sut" in unit tests now stands for "sut alors!"

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I rarely have a reason to write about meat so: Trying the Pastrami from my local butcher was the best decision of the weekend so far. What a epic taste. Paperthin slices. I feel like the rat in the pixar movie right now.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
My cow orker had one job: teach the customer to use sudo.

Instead, he did:

$ sudo chown -R $CUSTOMERS_USERNAME /var

Guess what I spent all day doing today?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm afraid you put too much effort into that one, I can't decipher it. I know what the linux command would do, I'm pretty sure that "cow orker" isn't a typo, and fairly confident that "chow" has something to do with the whole thing, and suspect that -R might stand for rumination in this case. But either my linux-fu, my english, or my knowledge about cows aren't good enough to establish a meaningful connection between these things... :(

Last edited: