Humor Random Comments Thread

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
"Nintendo Power's last issue will be the December 2012 issue, which will be mailed to subscribers in late November and sold on newsstands starting December 11."

Last edited:

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Oscar Niemeyer, Brazilian architect, dies at 104

Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer, who designed some of the 20th Century's most famous modernist buildings, has died just before his 105th birthday.

He rose to international fame as the architect of the main government buildings in the futuristic Brazilian capital, Brasilia, inaugurated in 1960.

He also worked with Swiss-born modernist architect Le Corbusier on the UN building in New York.

He continued to work on new projects until earlier this year.

He died on Wednesday at a hospital in Rio de Janeiro.

_64598803_congress_sky_afp.jpg

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
*on xkcd (1143) for 10 seconds*
*google for 5 seconds*
*picks up phone in excitement*

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
OK I :rofl: -ed after seeing this new joke fragrance (yeah, it's fake, but a very good one!)

PYONGYANG (The Borowitz Report)—North Korean leader Kim Jong-un surprised Korea-watchers today by abruptly cancelling his nation’s controversial rocket test and launching a fragrance instead.
The dictator’s signature fragrance, called “Number Un,” could be on store shelves in time for Christmas, according to the Korean Central News Agency.
The decision to launch a fragrance rather than a rocket “shows a kind of realism that has been rare in the Kim family,” said North Korea expert Dr. Hiroshi Kyosuke, of the University of Tokyo.
“I think Kim Jong-un most likely said to himself, ‘Given how badly my last rocket did, maybe I’ll just launch a fragrance,’ ” he said.
The official North Korean announcement offered this description of the new fragrance: “Number Un deliriously combines the sweet smells of North Korea’s native unicorns with the irresistible aroma of our Dear Leader himself. This holiday season, every kiss begins with Kim Jong-un.”

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2012/12/north-korea-launches-fragrance.html#ixzz2EFf0QPSG

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
These people... :blink: ...can't...be...serious..... :facepalm:

67600_311344945645619_1061874711_n.jpg

Linguofreak

Reaction score
He died? :( He had a really distinct style in his buildings, I really like his works and style.

Oscar_Niemeyer%27s_Copan_Building.jpg

For half a second after I saw that photo I thought it was the library building at BTU in Cottbus. They are, of course, completely different from far away, but the angle in that photo is just right so that the curvature of the top of the building tricked my brain.

IKMZ.jpg

Come to think of it, though, I do recognize the Copan Building after taking a look at the Wikipedia article on it. I helped the architecture department at BTU with the English versions of some articles in a book they did on the architecture of Sao Paulo, and the book includes some pictures of the Copan building (I don't think any of the articles I helped with mention it though).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
#28 sounds familiar here...

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Ever wondered how WW2 was like? This homepage might give you some small insight:

http://bombsight.org/

Mapped the bombing of London by the Germans. Selectable by bomb type and day.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Website unavailable. (Bombsight)

Never mind.

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Is there any technical reason why C preprocessors can't handle comments of the form demonstrated below properly, or is it just that none implement that feature?

Code:
code
/*
disabled code
/*Multiline comment*/
disabled code
*/

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Is there any technical reason why C preprocessors can't handle comments of the form demonstrated below properly, or is it just that none implement that feature?

Code:
code
/*
disabled code
/*Multiline comment*/
disabled code
*/

Never seen that work in any IDE. Seems like a common problem though.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Since every char except "*/" is legal in a multiline comment, it makes sense that nested multiline comments are not useful. ;)