Humor Random Comments Thread

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
So, I just received a fantastic 6-inch Dobsonian reflector from some family as a birthday gift. It's certainly an upgrade over my old 80mm refractor, though unfortunately it's a bit too cloudy to go out and test it tonight.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I thought that even after Apollo 1, they were still using a all oxygen atmosphere, except at launch, because modifying Apollo for a safer mix was judged to be too far a redesign for the time and money they had. Since I remember that one of the changes needed was a thicker/stronger pressure vessel, I disagree with you saying that all the capsule accidents were correctable without major redesigns.

While we are on the topic, was the Space Shuttle pressurized similarly?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
While we are on the topic, was the Space Shuttle pressurized similarly?
The shuttle used a 14.7 psi 80% N2/20% O2 cabin atmosphere except for during EVA preps when it lowers it to a 10.2 psi 100% O2 atmosphere to help the EVs purge the N2 from their bloodstreams to avoid "the bends". Once all of the planned EVAs are done, it is repressurized back to the standard atmosphere.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
. . . and at the very least, at least we're not all insisting each new human-bearing spacecraft design be called pepelats . . .
So I decided to look up that word... and what is this? And why does it look reminiscent of the Roton rocket?

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
The new atmosphere was 60% oxygen at 14.7 psi as opposed to 16 psi of pure oxygen at launch, dropping to 60% O2 at 5 psi during launch, with the nitrogen then being purged over the next day, giving 100% O2 at 5 psi. Suit atmosphere was 100% O2 at cabin pressure. In any case, at 5 psi, even 100% O2 isn't a significant fire risk.

60% O2 at 5 psi has the same partial pressure of oxygen as Earth's atmosphere at sea level (which is 14.7 psi with 20% O2).

That sounds about right, more right than what I said anyway:lol:. I'm going to read up on Apollo and see if I think it rolled though a major redesign after the fire. I'm not anywhere near as sure as I was a few hours ago.

No stronger pressure vessel was needed that I've ever heard.

I think that came up during the hearings afterwards as something to allow them to go to sea level pressures and mixes. I have no idea why mentioning this seemed like a good idea at the time. I think either Chariots for Apollo or Moonport has something on it. Maybe both of them do, I seem to be having an off day.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm going to read up on Apollo and see if I think it rolled though a major redesign after the fire

It did, although a lot of block II redesigns were in the works even before the fire. Most appear to have been corrections to rushed (relatively for spaceflight) sloppy work in wiring and subsystems, and a fair number of fire related measures for obvious reasons.

Interestingly enough, the AAP missions were to have flown with a "block III" CSM, which never saw the light of day to the best of my knowledge. I imagine it would have been interesting to see where the design progressed with more time.

MattBaker

Reaction score
According to wikipedia it's an interplanetary spacecraft in some Russian "sci-fi movie".
Sounds like Star Trek if you're high, drunk and sleep deprived.

I would also like to point out that finding out there is a PC version of Settlers of Catan is not recommended at 11 PM. Guess who spent all night awake although he has to work now? Maybe there are professional Catan players and I can quit my job to become the Magnus Carlsen of it.
Shouldn't be that hard, the luck factor on getting ressources can be neglected if you look at really long games or several matches. Then it should become pure tactics and positioning which could get memorized.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Geek knowledge question: where on Earth can you find 4 super-aircraft carriers parked side to side? :hmm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Geek knowledge question: where on Earth can you find 4 super-aircraft carriers parked side to side? :hmm:

I would say Newport News Shipbuilding, Virginia.

Two aircraft carriers are under construction there currently, and I could imagine two others being there for maintenance.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I would say Newport News Shipbuilding, Virginia.

Two aircraft carriers are under construction there currently, and I could imagine two others being there for maintenance.

Hmm.... I am pretty sure that only one of the under construction carriers (USS Gerald R. Ford / CVN-78) has a complete hull right now, the next one (USS John F. Kennedy / CVN-79) is far from that point. Plus I am sure that the active carriers are parked across the Hampton Roads at Norfolk, not at Newport News.

No, there is another place in the US (of course!) that you can see 4 carriers parked literally side-by-side. Try again! ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No, there is another place in the US (of course!) that you can see 4 carriers parked literally side-by-side. Try again! ;)

Outside of the USA, it would just be no super-carriers. Aside of the USA, only the British currently build an aircraft carrier with more than 65000 tons displacement.

And on Hampton Roads: NAS Norfolk is right next to Newport News Shipbuilding, on the other side of the river

1280px-Norfolk_naval_base_aerial_1985.jpg

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I've seen that many pierside when I've visited Norfolk Naval Base. i wasn't stationed there, but visited the air station side many times, and tended to avoid the "ship" side like the plague. Last time I was in Norva the Washington was brand new, so it's been a while.

There's a McDonald's at the end of the pier there (on the lower left).