Humor Random Comments Thread

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
It did, although a lot of block II redesigns were in the works even before the fire. Most appear to have been corrections to rushed (relatively for spaceflight) sloppy work in wiring and subsystems, and a fair number of fire related measures for obvious reasons.

Thing is, was any of the changes on the order of major revision? That's the thing I want to prove. The hatch alone seems to count as a major revision, but it's not a major return to the drawing board, like what Linguofreak argued what would be needed to correct the problems that caused the fatalities on the Space Shuttle. I think there is some truth to his argument, and since I don't want to clog up this thread with purposeful discussion, I'm going to bow out of this.

Interestingly enough, the AAP missions were to have flown with a "block III" CSM, which never saw the light of day to the best of my knowledge. I imagine it would have been interesting to see where the design progressed with more time.

You might enjoy Eyes Turned Skyward, an alternate history thing where after the last Apollo lunar missions NASA gets into an Apollo-based space stations. There's also a large helping of robot missions, and all of it is kept rather plausible, at least in my eyes. YMMV. As something more Orbiter related, there's AAPO by Hlynkacg, which while it doesn't have a station taxi yet, it should whenever that Tuesday comes.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What method do you use to make normal maps?

MaP Zone 2 and the diffuse texture as input. Proof of concept of an upcoming tutorial ... If I ever finish correcting the mistakes ^^

So yeah, not as "real" as the real ones, but seems a good "eyeballed" version of it, doesn't it?

MattBaker

Reaction score
And just while we're on the topic of 1940s generated memes, why not revive another classic.

An even worse knowledge of its background than any other meme.:lol:

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

A tropical storm in the atlantic ocean AND...nope, just the Azores. Not the US. Move along, nothing to see here.

I also promise I didn't laugh.
203548P_sm.gif

MattBaker

Reaction score
Eh? What do you mean?

Well, with modern internet memes the origin of it gets lost quite quickly. Everybody knows the meme and what it does but where it came from, when it was first used by whom? No idea.

Same applies to Kilroy, you have your popular stories that could be the origin of the drawing but which is true and when it was first used on the battlefield? Pretty hard to find out.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Do I smell a port of Orbiter into UE? :p

That would be perfect! But I will then need to procedurally generate the planets into their correct places, write a mesh import function, and find a solution to get info back from Orbiter. Or I could make a whole new game but you'll not see me until 2036 or something ^^
In fact the idea here is a kind of "explorer" where you can visit places. The shuttle will be the menu and you fly in some indicated directions to go to places (in a jetpack it seems possible for Gravity ^^), when I finish the menu/proof of concept I'll go and make the ISS - External only for now.
Still the biggest problem I am having is the Earth. She's an actor along with the places, and I still can't find a way to make her as realistic as possible. She's ugly right now ^^
Second problem is the player itself. Unreal thinks I'm walking where I actually want to fly, and since UDK likes FPS (and the Unreal Tournament), the camera is already all set for a good fps player.
Then comes the GUI. ScaleForm looks promising, the whole 3d thing is great as I wanted gauges a la "Gravity", project on the glass the gauges like oxygen, fuel and altitude (and others, and not even sure of the need of the oxygen and fuel feature as I don't want to implement such features, to have an infinite amount of spacewalks! )

There's a day and night side cycle, and the textures of the Earth moves slowly to recreate the orbital velocity. Now we judt have the impression that we're 2 500 km above ground ...

I have a lot to learn with UDK, but I will be happy if I make it, at least to the entire external ISS model.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, with modern internet memes the origin of it gets lost quite quickly. Everybody knows the meme and what it does but where it came from, when it was first used by whom? No idea.

Same applies to Kilroy, you have your popular stories that could be the origin of the drawing but which is true and when it was first used on the battlefield? Pretty hard to find out.

Oh, yeah, well it certainly is hard to know for certain, although the shipyard inspector one sounds the most plausible to me.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I *had* to look up the third one. I have to say, the name probably didn't help with obtaining funds.

telescope_names.png

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Random question: What was the last episode of Mythbusters you've seen?

I haven't seen a new one since August or so - did something happened to them?
They ran all the way to November or so on previous years, and google does not help much.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I saw the one where they shot a cannonball through a house (they didn't actually show that part though, but they talked about it).

For me they switched networks (sort of), I think they are on the science channel now instead of Discovery.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Random question: What was the last episode of Mythbusters you've seen?

I haven't seen a new one since August or so - did something happened to them?
They ran all the way to November or so on previous years, and google does not help much.

They've had a handful of specials this
year, but I haven't seen much else. I think/hope they've been recording a new season though.

I saw the one where they shot a cannonball through a house (they didn't actually show that part though, but they talked about it).

For me they switched networks (sort of), I think they are on the science channel now instead of Discovery.

They haven't switched; Science Channel just started showing old seasons (very often).

You can see the Mythbusters stars elsewhere. Adam, and sometimes Jamie, appears on the YouTube channel "Tested". Grant, Tory, and Kari should be appearing on Punkin Chunkin airing Thanksgiving.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So....this happened earlier....
1474524_10201498589441134_346276087_n.jpg

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Personally, I find "the outdoors" (as in, the forest) to be dull and boring. But it's a thing that should be preserved.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
William Shatner and Adam Baldwin were having a discussion about JFK, which then turned hilariously toward logic, then Spock, then Spock in heat (Adam couldn't remember the Vulcan terminology). So I chimed in and Shatner answered by making fun of the hat.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Doesn't matter, received a message by William :censored:ing Shatner. That's it, the highest you'll ever get.

Yeah I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the notification on my phone that he'd mentioned me in a tweet.

He replied to a later tweet. Then, my 15 seconds of fame were over LOL.