Yo dawg, I heard you like simulators...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I know those as bounty games. The only thing you can do with them is pirate them, play them for an hour, have a laugh about the terrible physics/gamedesign/gameplay/pacing issues and move on.

Then again I enjoy the Silent Hunter series and thousands play a goat simulator, so...

The Farming simulator 2013 is really not that bad... but the gameplay gets really repetitive quickly, also it works best with a gamepad. :embarrassed:

But nothing that compares to gems like DCS.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Also, when a F-15E can't fly with only one engine, one tail, one elevator, and half of a wing missing, like the A-10 can, then you retire the latter. Until then, that "specialized role" is monopolized, and will continue to be monopolized, by the A-10.

Actually, as Loru posted, the F-15E/I, can and has, flown without a wing. It can also much better defend itself in an air to air situation. The A-10, of course, is still the better CAS aircraft by virtue of being designed from square one for that role.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually, as Loru posted, the F-15E/I, can and has, flown without a wing. It can also much better defend itself in an air to air situation. The A-10, of course, is still the better CAS aircraft by virtue of being designed from square one for that role.

The problem is just, that the F-15E is a strike fighter - a multi-role that is sandwiched between strategic bombing and Battlefield Air Interdiction in its air-to-ground role today. Only the ability to also perform air to air combat makes the difference.

The A-10 can do the BAI better than the F-15E, because BAI requires the ability to search for the right target in a killbox. If you already know what your target is, a B-1B or B-2 can handle the strategic bombing better and cruise missiles are constantly annoying there.

And a fighter like the F-22 can also do strike fighter roles, though the bomb load is extremely low and the defensive systems are not designed for handling the large amounts of nastiness that awaits any fighter there. But thats also a problem for the F-15E - only the A-10C really has some options there, because it can operate below missiles that are too dangerous for it and in the kill zone of missiles that it can defeat by its defensive systems.

Also, the problem with the F-15E is, that it lacked always the availability of the A-10, which is what I meant by requiring repairs without even getting contact with the enemy. The A-10 is pretty robust, usually you have little work with it, unless it really catches fire. And then, it is quickly repaired, because it was designed with all negative consequences for being repaired somewhere in the field. Yes, it makes it more ugly and more heavy. But hard to knock out.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Watching "The Room", please be as good-bad as everyone said, please be as...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But imagine a multiplayer-compatible dual cockpit module of the Strike Eagle in DCS.:jiggy:

You know, what message the A-10C pilot would then send to the F-15E WSO via Link 16?

"THX FOR DOING BDA CYA"

:cool:

(But having a F-15E for DCS would really be cool. :cheers: )

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
3UlG0Hu.jpg

Seriously, this is what happens when you irradiate a country thrice over.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Soo you've never heard of battered mars bars then, a Scottish delicacy. That says hello clogged arteries and diabetes.

1622353060_674793d985.jpg

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
PC is in an infinite loop of "automated repair", apparently a common Windows 8 issue.
I have a recovery disc, but no DVD drive...
Anyone know if I can put an image of the disc onto a usb drive and boot from that?

Or if I create a recovery USB drive from a separate PC, will I be able to use that? Or will it introduce a product key conflict?

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Anyone know if I can put an image of the disc onto a usb drive and boot from that?
Yep, just use unetbootin to "burn" the ISO to a usb drive. Just give it the .iso instead of selecting a distro.

Or if I create a recovery USB drive from a separate PC, will I be able to use that? Or will it introduce a product key conflict?
Not sure, it depends on what the recovery actually does.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
To clarify, I don't intend to do a 'restore'. A 'repair' from disc should do the job.
It seems more likely a Windows 8 bug than a disk problem.

Thanks for the info. Will try unetbootin.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Yep, just use unetbootin to "burn" the ISO to a usb drive. Just give it the .iso instead of selecting a distro.

Can you suggest a program to create the ISO?

Edit: This whole process is taking all day and night. Will report back when...something.

Edit2: UNetbootin failed me. However, I've found a Microsoft tool designed for Windows 7 that will work. I also finally realized that I wasn't thinking straight and accidentally made an ISO from my laptop's special Dell Windows 8 disc, rather than my desktop's ordinary Microsoft Windows 8 disc. Going to proceed with the Dell disc anyways; if it doesn't work, then I'll go through the eternal process of making an ISO from the other disc.

Aaaand I've sort of hit a wall. Well, time to buy a DVD drive...

---------- Post added 05-12-14 at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-11-14 at 09:54 PM ----------

Now to find affordable cables...

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
If what you need is to just use the Windows 8 iso to perform a repair, you can burn one on a usb drive also using the official and surprisingly named "Windows 7 usb/dvd download tool", which works just fine also with 8/8.1 isos.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To clarify, I don't intend to do a 'restore'. A 'repair' from disc should do the job.
It seems more likely a Windows 8 bug than a disk problem.

Thanks for the info. Will try unetbootin.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Can you suggest a program to create the ISO?

Edit: This whole process is taking all day and night. Will report back when...something.

Edit2: UNetbootin failed me. However, I've found a Microsoft tool designed for Windows 7 that will work. I also finally realized that I wasn't thinking straight and accidentally made an ISO from my laptop's special Dell Windows 8 disc, rather than my desktop's ordinary Microsoft Windows 8 disc. Going to proceed with the Dell disc anyways; if it doesn't work, then I'll go through the eternal process of making an ISO from the other disc.

Aaaand I've sort of hit a wall. Well, time to buy a DVD drive...

---------- Post added 05-12-14 at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-11-14 at 09:54 PM ----------

Now to find affordable cables...

Hey! At least you're being entertained! :lol::rofl:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Who likes some interesting views on mathematics...

a very good article (in German language) on the geometric construction of the current official football for the FIFA world championship in Brazil.

http://www.heise.de/tp/artikel/41/41606/1.html

(For those who want to know who is poisoning the well in advance: Raúl Rojas, professor at the FU Berlin)