Sar

Reaction score
Shape blindness?

"Is it a bird, is it a plane?" "What's the difference?"

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I envy people who could tell fonts apart...
For me they're all the same, and arial is as readable as comic sans.
This post is written in one font as far as i'm concerned.

They're letters. What could their shape change?

Speed of reading. Sans serifs are very well suited for aerospace applications and that's why one has GOSTs on typefaces in aircraft. Typewriter fonts evoke fond memories of reloading tape... Serifs are quite handsome for publications. Bitmapped fonts are outright ugly.

Attaching...

Attachments

• biohazard1.jpg
    biohazard1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 24

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
http://english.aljazeera.net/video/middleeast/2011/03/20113912019839325.html

At about 1:13, they say that if those tanks exploded, everyone within a minimum radius of 15km^2 (seems to be a slight units fail there) would be killed. Are they talking about a massive shockwave, or would it be more like an immense MOAB?

Wouldn't bet it that. Oil tanks are a huge danger, especially at that scale, but not comparable to high explosives. For causing a fuel air explosion there, like in a MOAB, you would need to disperse the fuel first, which is pretty hard unless you use a bunker buster bomb. Bombing such depots with conventional bombs usually causes strong fires and secondary explosions by increasing tank pressure of neighboring tanks.

See here for an example how the damage looks like:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Hertfordshire_Oil_Storage_Terminal_fire"]Buncefield fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
They're letters. What could their shape change?
THICK
SERIFS
ALIASED
NORMAL
JUST PLAIN WRONG
There are plenty of little differences that I guess aren't as noticeable for non-native users of the Roman alphabet. Surely there are differences between Cyrillic characters I couldn't see. Honestly Cyrillic all just looks like dyslexic Greek to me... :shifty:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Bitmapped fonts are outright ugly.
What else is there? TTF? That's a :censored: to decode. Chr? Obsolete as hell.
Bitmap fonts are often the only choice if you don't bind to a specific system.

I guess programming background also had an effect - in IDEs all fonts are fixed-width by definition, making them as good as bitmap ones.

Attaching...
These are not letters. They don't look like themselves. I guess there is a limit of looking-like-letters-nes.

THICK
SERIFS
ALIASED
NORMAL
JUST PLAIN WRONG
There are plenty of little differences that I guess aren't as noticeable for non-native users of the Roman alphabet. Surely there are differences between Cyrillic characters I couldn't see.
May be. Thick ones stand out, for the rest i can see the difference if i make an effort, but once i start reading a text they all vanish with the letters themselves.

Honestly Cyrillic all just looks like dyslexic Greek to me... :shifty:
Greek it was, borrowed and improved, as the legend says.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I've got it running in the background as I write, and there's no evidence of problems yet. Aside from the "while(1)" deal it compiled without problem.

Probably an implementation-specific issue. On my setup it's not even maxing out one CPU, and gnome-terminal is taking up more CPU time than the Java process.

Nothing froze in several minutes of run time. The only reason the program ever stopped was that I got bored and hit Ctrl-C.

I/O in general takes insane amounts of time. And even that proceeds at lightning speeds compared to the reactions of the meatbag sitting at the keyboard.
Lucky you then. ;) Trying to debug my atari emulator on school computers can be a pain. I don't currently limit the speed, so if I'm printing multiple lines every operation, it eventually freezes and/or crashes the IDE. No such problems on my laptop though.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Lucky you then. ;) Trying to debug my atari emulator on school computers can be a pain. I don't currently limit the speed, so if I'm printing multiple lines every operation, it eventually freezes and/or crashes the IDE. No such problems on my laptop though.

Ah. You're using an IDE. I'm using a text editor and a terminal.

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What else is there? TTF? That's a :censored: to decode. Chr? Obsolete as hell.
Bitmap fonts are often the only choice if you don't bind to a specific system.

Have a break Artlav, have a kit kat
kitkat.jpg

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Would FreeType library to decode TTF be a viable option?

Re: chocolate. Chocolate is evil - it clogs blood vessels and damages teeth... There is one redeeming quality though - women like it, present selection becomes a no-brainer.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwLirQS2-o&feature=related"]YouTube - Monty Python- Fish Slapping Dance![/ame]

Dambuster

Reaction score
I just found out that each F-1 engine has more thrust than 5 747-8s. That is incredible, for lack of a better word.

Nazban

Reaction score
The US hired Chuck Norris to Throw the Spacecraft into Space, its a much cheaper fuel and more efficient:lol: