Humor Random Comments Thread

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I dunno, 1946 has more planes, but Cliffs of Dover looks way better in terms of damage modelling.

Cliffs of Dover was EPIC!! 1946, is kinda a package of several games... Dover had a story, good damage modelling, and made it feel like youre there... 1946 is a bit of fun, but kinda gets boring after a while

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Mars-Streak/Zond

For the past hour I have been working on a simple concept; Mars-Streak and Zond Lander.

This is the Mars-Streak/Zond Interplanetary Block (MS/ZIB) it is launched atop a Proton-K sometime around the 1970s. It is propelled to Mars by two Blok DM upper stages:
picture.php

The rear section is called the 'Mars Orbit Insertion Stage (MOIS)', it is used, like the name suggests to perform the MCCs and the MOI.

The very front section is called the 'Zond Lander', this is the only part of the spacecraft that will land on Mars. At the front of the Zond Lander is the parachute used for the last part of the descent.

Zond Lander:
picture.php

The Zond Lander is de-orbited using the 'Mars Crasher' stage, shown here attached to the Zond Lander:
picture.php

Finally, this is the 'Mars-Streak Orbital Experimentation Probe (MSOExP)', this part stays in orbit after the Zond Lander has been sent to the surface of Mars:
picture.php

It is a fun pet project that I am having, I have still yet to model the Zarya Radar, which is placed on the top of the MSOExP in a small compartment, the radar is deployed when the Zond Lander separates from the MSOExP.

Total Length: 5-6 Meters.
Total Polycount: 8000.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Cliffs of Dover was EPIC!! 1946, is kinda a package of several games... Dover had a story, good damage modelling, and made it feel like youre there... 1946 is a bit of fun, but kinda gets boring after a while

I guess I'm going with Cliffs of Dover then, assuming my computer can run it... :p

Edit: I think I should be okay, everything except my CPU and RAM meets the recommended requirements, and they both meet the minimum requirements.

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
This is probably the most random comment in the thread, but does anyone in the Dallas area listen to [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_and_Terry"]Lex and Terry[/ame] ?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Lex and Terry, the givers. I used to listen to them in Jacksonville, Fl. And I can get them here on a Chattanooga station (105.5). Unique show. Either people love them or hate them.

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
Is there an MFD good for constant acceleration space travel? That is, a vessel with a huge amount of fuel (or power or anything), and to get to your destination you travel towards it at a constant acceleration for half of the trip, and then decelerate for the other half. You could get to the moon in three hours at 1g acceleration. Also, the MFD would have to factor in the change in thrust of the engine to keep your vessel at a constant acceleration as the mass changes (since you are loosing fuel).

It would be a great addon to Orbiter(unless it already exists); go places fast without a warp drive- for example: a trip to mars in three days. Take that, NASA design reference missions! :)

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score
A local news station's headline about the Costa Concordia called it a "Real-Life Titanic"

This bothers me. A lot.
:facepalm:I actually had to stop and reread that post three times to make sure I didn't suddenly acquire dyslexia. Are people really that moronic?
Is there a "Titanic disaster hoax" conspiracy that I'm not aware of?

Last edited:

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
Also, someone should make an addon of the Jupiter II from the Lost In Space 1998 movie. Much of the movie was bad, but the production design was wonderful, and shouldn't be forgotten, although it seems this is what has happened. It looks like it has powerful ion engines, and the movie's description of a ten year journey to "Alpha Prime" seems remarkably believable if you use the constant acceleration method I described. I've always wanted nothing more than to fly that ship.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Is there a "Titanic disaster hoax" conspiracy that I'm not aware of?

Considering some of the conspiracy theories that exist, it wouldn't surprise me. :p

Edit: Over one and a half million Google search results for "The Titanic never sank".

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Although that conspiracy theory doesn't claim that the incident never happened, but rather that the already damaged Olympic was masked as Titanic and sunk more or less on purpose as an insurance scam, although the whole plan went terribly wrong.

It's a boatload of BS of course, like most conspiracy theories, especially the argument that an iceberg couldn't do that kind of damage to a steel hull reveals that the author hasn't got any idea about the properties of older steel alloys (book was published in 2009, where indeed good quality steel would offer the iceberg much more of a challenge than a 1914 alloy near freezing point...).

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ghostbusters 2 : the Titanic at least arrived in New York ;)

sos_fantomes_2_46_titanic.jpg

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
In 2012, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union address will occur on the same day. This is an ironic juxtaposition of events. One involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to an insignificant creature of little intelligence for prognostication.
The other involves a groundhog.

Im so glad this is post #800

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
In 2012, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union address will occur on the same day. This is an ironic juxtaposition of events. One involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to an insignificant creature of little intelligence for prognostication.
The other involves a groundhog.

Im so glad this is post #800

Har Har.:rolleyes: