Humor Random Comments Thread

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
d9l6XjY.gif

E

ex-orbinaut

The wind chill factor here is supposed to be as low as -30 deg, which is pretty extreme for the DC area. There are bound to be a lot of downed trees. Is it wierd that I find this exciting?

Yeah, been hearing about it on the news. Like minded on that count, I find nearby volcanoes erupting and smallish earthquakes exciting around here! :)

Immediately after I read your post I downloaded that app and just tried it out.

It reads printed music fairly well, but it gets a lot of false hits if there are accidentals on the music sheet, and it also tends to read the staff lines as some sort of chords.

For handwritten music script, it's a bit less effective as you might expect, but it still impressed me that it works as well as it does.

I had to do a fair bit of editing, and it doesn't understand ties or slides or things like that, and I don't see a way to make it do a swing rythm, but it's still a really cool app despite all the limitations.
I am glad you tested this, I expected it might have a few limitations.

Nevertheless...

kamaz said:
Around 1990 I saw system where a synthesizer was connected via MIDI to an Atari ST which was transcribing the notes automatically. Given that Atari ST came out in 1985 and had integrated MIDI, I doubt it was a brand new thing...

I was myself pretty sure that a program that read sheet music was already around, which is why I did a quick search, because I have a very vague memory of reading something similar to what kamaz describes at around the mentioned year, when I still had an Amiga.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When you consider that sheet music is a sort of graph with the x-axis being time and the y-axis being pitch, and lines to help fix a reference, it doesn't surprise me that 1980s computers could do it, provided you set up the initial conditions just right.

The real challenge is reading accidentals and other wierd markings.

E

ex-orbinaut

When you consider that sheet music is a sort of graph with the x-axis being time and the y-axis being pitch, and lines to help fix a reference, it doesn't surprise me that 1980s computers could do it, provided you set up the initial conditions just right.

The real challenge is reading accidentals and other wierd markings.

Yeah, I noticed on the demo video that the guy had to set the clef "option" :lol:, but as far as I could see it was able to handle ledgers. However, there simply must be something of a much better design around. With all computers can do when properly programmed, this seems like a "fiddle-sticks" challenge.

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You mean like this, maybe?

Made me think of Mockinbird. Straight from Xerox PARC, this computer program made in 1980 was able to write music and play it back. It was the precursor of today's Sibelius and Finale.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have thought of this question before: how will archeologists of the 2X century find and read digital data of these dozens of years?

It will be much more fun when they find our ceramic-based electronic modules and conclude it was jewellery.

A blue pendant with an L-shaped pattern, early 21st century.

Synthesizer-3D.jpg

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
On a related note, here some pictures I took a couple of years ago at the German museums of Speyer and Sinsheim: Imgur album

Among other things, there are a Concorde, a Tu-144 (it's possible to enter in both of them) and the Buran OK-GLI atmospheric flight test prototype.

Ilbumc7.jpg

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Like two hours ago I made the mistake of looking something about Archer up on tvtropes...I think I've finally snapped out of it and can hopefully salvage the rest of the evening.