Humor Random Comments Thread

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Random news: Steam introduced paid workshop mods today. You can now create your own "DLCs" for games (for now only for Skyrim).

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score

All you ever really need in a workshop is WD40, and duct tape.

WD40 - For when it should move, but doesn't

Duct Tape - For when it moves, but shouldn't

Remember folks, if women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Just signed up for an AHA BCLS Healthcare Provider course. Anyone else taken anything similar?

MattBaker

Reaction score

No way to get that between the tire and the disc brake without lying under the car and well, :censored: that.

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 AM ----------

You weren't kidding? I'm not really sure how I feel about that.

Let's make it easier. Valve takes a 75% cut of the money even though they didn't create the game or the mod. They're just the marketplace to buy it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just signed up for an AHA BCLS Healthcare Provider course. Anyone else taken anything similar?

We just had a voluntary refresher course in first aid here last Monday for our team at work, which included basic life support training. Though very likely not to the extent of the BLS course, from what I can tell by reading the topics. At least the infant part.

We mostly train this for work and the road, since we are driving a lot during the work week. But some of us are also active volunteer fire fighters.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
We just had a voluntary refresher course in first aid here last Monday for our team at work, which included basic life support training. Though very likely not to the extent of the BLS course, from what I can tell by reading the topics. At least the infant part.

We mostly train this for work and the road, since we are driving a lot during the work week. But some of us are also active volunteer fire fighters.

Ah, my course is geared towards EMS and law enforcement personnel. Gotta take it to volunteer with the LA Sheriff's Department.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No way to get that between the tire and the disc brake without lying under the car and well, :censored: that.

Its usually enough to spray it on the screws from the outside and just give it some minutes to creep into the connection. It works.

Also, I recommend using a proper torque wrench, even if you think you know what 100 Nm feel like. The old German wisdom "Nach fest kommt ab" should be known to you.

After removing the old tires, clean the threads on the disc brake with brake cleaner and a wire brush.

Disclaimer: I don't do this for my car myself anymore... all my lack of mechanic skills now gets applied on my MTB.

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Ah, my course is geared towards EMS and law enforcement personnel. Gotta take it to volunteer with the LA Sheriff's Department.

Well, half of what I learned about first aid had been army training. :lol:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score

Why LA, and not San Bernardino, out of curiosity?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Several times actually. Basic first aid including rescue breathing is part of the mandatory course you need for a drivers license here. At that time I already had an advanced rescue breathing course from when I made my life-guard brevet. And finally the whole schlock again, with CPR and lots of gore this time, when I took the field-medic course in the army.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Several times actually. Basic first aid including rescue breathing is part of the mandatory course you need for a drivers license here. At that time I already had an advanced rescue breathing course from when I made my life-guard brevet. And finally the whole schlock again, with CPR and lots of gore this time, when I took the field-medic course in the army.

Same here with the mandatory courses for driving licenses and special employments (like childcare)... it even goes so far that one of the most basic penal laws of Germany deal with it and protect first aid responders from criminal charges, should they cause damages by reasonable first aid.

(Source: http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/stgb/__34.html )

This law is pretty much a two-edged sword: It protects you, but at the same time also invalidates the common excuse, that somebody is not feeling competent in first aid and fears that he could hurt the victim more and get punished for it.

If you are not risking your own life by responding to an emergency, its your duty to respond, regardless of your skills. Even if you did not learn first aid for the past 20 years since your driving license.

Thus, I believe it is a good investment to train first aid every other year to make sure I am competent enough in it to be a help until somebody more competent arrives. At least, every bit of training also means less fear to act and more automatisms, when its finally put to the test.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If Bruce Banner ever tries his hands at CSS, it's gonna be the end of the world. It can even turn usually not very agressive normals like me into a raging madman. Seriously, this is the worlds most widely used UI-framework? How is it possible that noone yet came up with something that isn't a complete hack ?? :beathead:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If Bruce Banner ever tries his hands at CSS, it's gonna be the end of the world. It can even turn usually not very agressive normals like me into a raging madman. Seriously, this is the worlds most widely used UI-framework? How is it possible that noone yet came up with something that isn't a complete hack ?? :beathead:

The problem is not CSS. the problem are the various unofficial extensions to it. :facepalm:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
unofficial extensions? haven't heard of those yet. Currently I'm quite simply horrified by the utter inadequacy of CSS3 doing the job that people do with it. Now granted, it wasn't exactly designed to do that job originally, but it was foreseeable. And at least now we really should make something new that is designed from scratch to be a remote GUI framework and not eyecandy on content declarations...

MattBaker

Reaction score
Its usually enough to spray it on the screws from the outside and just give it some minutes to creep into the connection. It works.

I just realised it was a mistake, I meant drum brake not disc brake. It's actually quite similar, if not the same one, as this photo of one on wikipedia only that it's closed and not cut open and it wasn't really rusted at the screws but on that ring in the middle that looks rusted (must be a common thing?). But yeah, kicking the wheel solved the issue.

Also, I recommend using a proper torque wrench, even if you think you know what 100 Nm feel like. The old German wisdom "Nach fest kommt ab" should be known to you.

Oh, I'm doing that simply because I can't be arsed to screw a wheel on without the leverage of a torque wrench. Without one that's just super annoying. Also for my car they say 120 so good luck with your 100.:thumbup:

And you need a proper metal torque wrench because at the end of the day you might need a blunt force murder weapon. I don't know why but you might.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Why LA, and not San Bernardino, out of curiosity?

Living out in Long Beach for the most part now, so Lakewood Station's a pretty close commute.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Interesting. The course I'm taking includes certification with two person CPR, one person CPR, automatic defibrillators, bag-valve breathing masks, and general first aid.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, we never covered defilibrators...
Also, now that I think about it, I made my drivers license after my service, so that would have been the last time.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, we never covered defilibrators...

We have automatic defilibrators at work, and thus, every employee also has the basic training to use those.