Humor Random Comments Thread

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Oh that works...until you have a last name who's commonality is in the triple digits. Face or not, they're gonna find you.

Legally change your name to John Smith just before claiming the prize.

Even better, establish an LLC or trust and have an attorney collect in its name. Absolutely no one except the attorney would need to know your identity. You shouldn't rush and sign your name on the back of a winning ticket because then you MUST collect publicly in your name. Set up the trust or LLC, then assign the ticket to the trust.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why makes this me wonder, if it would be possible to found a business that way in Germany, which only exists for playing in the lottery...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I think those are called 'Defense Contractors' in the US.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like the style of Edmond Dantes in The Count of Monte Cristo - with that money I'd like to be the anonymous deliverer of (good) karma for a lot of people and organizations, but anonymity is hard in this world. My family is small - I'd take care of college for my niece, and my mom and sister would have no financial worries. I'd start a charitable foundation, get that money invested and working so it could serve as a steady stream of funding. Once that was all organized - I'd probably have no fixed address ever again; I'd just travel and see as much of the world as I could.

Could probably keep Orbiter Forums going till the end of time too ;)

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
If any of us hits the lottery big, we should set up a trust to fund OF in perpetuity, and put enough away to fund a cushy programming gig for Dr. Schweiger. Pay plus benefits, 40 weeks vacation a year, he need only work on Orbiter and answer all the OF posts asking "When will the next version of Orbiter come out?" :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If any of us hits the lottery big, we should set up a trust to fund OF in perpetuity, and put enough away to fund a cushy programming gig for Dr. Schweiger. Pay plus benefits, 40 weeks vacation a year, he need only work on Orbiter and answer all the OF posts asking "When will the next version of Orbiter come out?" :lol:

I suggest, we hire Charlie Sheen for these questions, if we get this money.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I got a survey from Nielsen ratings in the mail, including $2 cash and a promise of $5 more if I completed the survey. Survey was pretty easy to fill out since I don't have any kids, don't have a landline phone, and don't own a TV.

I think a TV advertiser would despair if they saw my survey. They do not have my eyeballs and probably never will.

Ha ha! I got a nice crisp $5 in the mail today from Nielsen. It seems so crazy that they send cash - crisp new bills - in the mail. Always open your junk mail.

I really wonder how many others out there also score a big fat zero with regards to TV consumership and advertising. Even online I whitelist scripting for only a few sites, and those sites don't even generally have static advertising. The only advertising that actually hits my senses is radio advertising on the drive to work, but even there I listen to NPR a lot, so the ads are really "sponsors".

Really, how can advertising be a growth industry these days? There are so many technological ways to filter it out for those who really don't want to see it. Before if you wanted to watch TV, listen to the radio, or read a newspaper, you were going to get some ad exposure by default. Now, not so much.

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Really, how can advertising be a growth industry these days? There are so many technological ways to filter it out for those who really don't want to see it. Before if you wanted to watch TV, listen to the radio, or read a newspaper, you were going to get some ad exposure by default. Now, not so much.

The vast majority of consumers/listeners isn't aware of these filtering methods.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Can anyone tell me...

...Why the ISS is so claustrophobic, but the Skylab was so spacious and futuristic?

ISS:
Screen-Shot-2013-05-05-at-8.16.42-AM.png

Inside-ISS-Practice-set-up-for-Dragon.jpg

Skylab:
SL4-150-5074.jpg

skylab1.jpg

Discovery One:
2001.jpg

:shrug:

Personally, this comes to my head to compare the stations:
Skylab:
Versalles-espejos.jpg

ISS:
ascensor-antiguo-reformado_154069.jpg

:shrug:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
...Why the ISS is so claustrophobic, but the Skylab was so spacious and futuristic?

Because Skylab was a single module built from the upper stage of a rocket that is still the recordholder for payload capacity to LEO. If ISS modules were launched on Saturn Vs / INT-21s, the ISS would be spacious and futuristic.